TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dangerous A

The official 2003 NBA free agents thread

On paper the Clippers have the talent to be a playoff team. Even without Odom, and the players they lost. People tend to be more skeptical given the Clippers past history.

I need to find out what my Magic are up to... they've been quiet since they let Darrell Armstrong go, and I have mixed feelings on that issue.

Juwan Howard isn't a bad signing. The problem though Drew Gooden plays a similar position. If one of those two or someone else can step up has a good 2nd scorer behind McGrady; they can make it out of the first round.

I think if they put juwan at the 3 and gooden at the 4, they should be all right... they would get more rebounds, thats for sure.that would give them a decent bench of Giricek, Garrity and Gaines, since Lue is going to be the staring point guard.

Good pickup for the Mavericks. It doesn't necessarily solve the need of a rebounder, but getting a player like Jamison won't hurt anything.

Wonder why this trade was made?

Here's the full trade...won't be official until Monday:

Mavericks get: Antawn Jamison, Danny Fortson, Chris Mills, Jiri Welsch

Warriors get: Nick Van Exel, Evan Eschmeyer, Popeye Jones, Avery Johnson

Long term this deal MIGHT be good for the Warriors as dumping Fortson and Mills' salaries (and Jamison's for that matter) will make them a player in free agency after this season but that's assuming anyone wants to play for them with a moron for an owner like Chris Cohan who totally fucked up the Gilbert Arenas negotiations.

In the short term...THE WARRIORS FUCKED UP AGAIN!

you may be right, but I think that Jamison is a little bit more coachable. Van Smack has always had problems with coaches.

PG - Nash

SG - Finley

SF- Jamison

PF - Nowitzki

C - Bradley

Hmm...... I could almost see Jamison and Finley getting in each other;s way from time to time... but it doesn;t sound like a bad lineup in my head.

Guest Lethargic

Unless Dunleavy comes alive next season to replace Jamison in the lineup, this is about the stupidest trade I've ever seen on the Warriors side. How does this help the team in the least? And if it's for cap room, why didn't they make a trade like this earlier so they could've kept Arenas?

The Warriors drafted an absolutely amazing 6'6 GF in Mickael Pietrus. He looked incredible. He's pretty young but in the long run he's going to end up being the Warriors SF. He'll probably split time with Mike Dunleavy.

Losing Arenas is just plain stupid. They did pick up Speedy Claxton who will be a big addition and should be missed in San Antonio. They also have a rookie hack PG in Derrick Zimmerman.

Atleast Golden State has ensured everyone that they will be a door mate team of the west this year.

Chalk up 2 more easy wins for the Bulls this season.

Guest Unwritten Religion
The Warriors drafted an absolutely amazing 6'6 GF in Mickael Pietrus. He looked incredible. He's pretty young but in the long run he's going to end up being the Warriors SF. He'll probably split time with Mike Dunleavy.

Losing Arenas is just plain stupid. They did pick up Speedy Claxton who will be a big addition and should be missed in San Antonio. They also have a rookie hack PG in Derrick Zimmerman.

Atleast Golden State has ensured everyone that they will be a door mate team of the west this year.

Chalk up 2 more easy wins for the Bulls this season.

Too Bad that Speedy gonna get like, what, 13 mintues a game?

Guest Polish_Rifle

How does this trade help the Mavs? Unless they plan on trading Jamison for a big man this trade does not make them closer to beating the Spurs and the Kings (Healthy). Granted, they got rid of some scrubs for expensive vets like Mills and Fortson. Dirk is not good enough to guard the 4s in the West and I think they will be better suited with Dirk and LaFrenz as their forwards. I like Jamison and all but they need a CENTER!

Don Nelson would play 4 guards with the human toothpick Bradley at center if he could. Don Nelson teams never had a true center starting ever........and he lasted what a month or two with the Knicks?

Guest Lethargic
How does this trade help the Mavs?  Unless they plan on trading Jamison for a big man this trade does not make them closer to beating the Spurs and the Kings (Healthy).  Granted, they got rid of some scrubs for expensive vets like Mills and Fortson.  Dirk is not good enough to guard the 4s in the West and I think they will be better suited with Dirk and LaFrenz as their forwards.  I like Jamison and all but they need a CENTER!

What center could they have gotten for Nick Van Exel? I think they got a great deal. I can't think of a single good center they could've gotten that would be worth it. Maybe this didn't address a pressing need, but it raised their talent level immensely. They got basically traded one guy for budding offensive star, a rebounding machine, a decent backup and a up and coming young guard. That's a LOT of pieces to work with. When you get a chance to totally ass rape a team with a trade like this, you take it.

hmm.... I'm a little undecided about The Nose. He did a decent job for the Pistons, I'm wondering why they would let him go...

hmm.... I'm a little undecided about The Nose. He did a decent job for the Pistons, I'm wondering why they would let him go...

Just probably got a deal (while not huge), the Pistons felt was too much to pay for him. The Nuggets off-season seems like the Beverly Hillbillies with all this money spending in the summer.

Bold prediction, The DENVER NUGGETS will have the best Bench crew in basketball next year.

Say what you want, Jon Barry makes the bench guys feel great where ever he goes. See what he did in Sacramento...when they traded him for Cleaves (in the dumbest trade I have seen in years) they lost alot of consistantcy from that bench and Lawrence Funderburke and Hedo haven't really given them anything since. He went to the pistons and look at this, He, Corliss and others lead a VERY strong bench. He loves being a bench player and seems to make the other backups love it too.

As for the Mavs.

The only reason anyone would question this trade is because they haven't seen Jamison play that much. I have. ALOT. I was probably the only League Pass subscriber that spent alot of time watching him play over the past few years. He is not a budding offensive talent. He is a INCREDIBLE offensive talent. He has some of the quickess and most effective post moves I have seen in a while. He does a great job guarding the 4's in the league. He is a consistant deep threat. He can handle the ball and gets others involved and he hits the boards HARD on the offensive end.

Reasons for his less than stellar numbers last year(if you can call 22 and 7 less than stellar)..

1: Gilbert Arenas shot the ball every single time he touched it. Now if you are the point, you touch it ALOT. That guy never got his teamates involved the way he should have.

2: They moved him to the sf position so Troy Murphy could have the 4 spot(he performed great BTW) He stayed on the perimeter alot more last season.

Jamison might be listed as a SF, but he will be the Mavs PF and Dirk will be the SF. This made the Mavs alot better honestly, and since the Warriors will probably cut Avery Johnson, they will probably get him back. Danny Fortson will get minutes and that guy can flat out rebound when given the chane. Jiri Welsh is going to be the big steal of this trade as he was showing that he has the potential to be something special last year. Of course they do have the infinitly worthless Chris Mills, but you have to take some garbage.

Great trade for the Mavs...except for them not haveing a back up point now, but they will remedy that.

Guest Polish_Rifle

^ they could pick up a veteran PG like Kenny Anderson, Mark Jackson or Travis Best. Also, with Mills on board, they will probably pass on resigning Walt Williams.

Guest Unwritten Religion

Best Sign With the Celts.

I don't know If he retired or not, But they should get Dana Barros.

That sig is just wrong.

I agree that the Mavs just got a lot more dangerous by this trade, but they definitely need a quality backup PG to give Steve Nash time to suck down oxygen before he resumes his 40-42 minutes per game average. Fortson was 4th in the league in rebounding a couple of years ago, and he's more of a banger, and the Mavs DEFINITELY needed a tough physical presence inside. I'm not saying that Dirk is soft because he's not, but Fortson is tougher on the glass than Dirk is.