TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

"Potential"

Guest Anglesault

A post of mine from before.

I love this "potential." It's the unknown thing that people try to used to excuse even the shittiest of wrestlers. (Test, SOH, Albert, Randy Orton, hell, Nathan Jones got potential remarks) As soon as "potential" is brought up, we are expected to back off and wait the eight years for this unexplained "potential" to finally manifest itself into true blue talent. And if six years in, someone brings up how the guy STILL sucks, they will get lambasted for no allowing the performer enough time to act on his "potential."

I fucking hate "potential"

But honestly, how do we decide if someone has "potential?" Do we draw straws? do we play eenie-meenie-miney-moe? Or do we just find people that we personally like who at the present moment are bad-unwatchable and try to explain that with "Well, they have potential, give them time!"

How does one spot this potential? Did said potential holders hold a sign that says as much? If not, how do we separate those with "potential" from those who just don't have a prayer?

And how long must we wait for this "potential" to be realized? With someone like Test, who's been here for almost six years without ever getting better, are they a lost cause, or do they still have some years left on their potential scale?

None of this makes sense to me.

Guest pappajacks

I felt Kurt Angle had "potential" in November 1999. I was right.

I agree that Test is pretty much a lost cause who doesnt get any better over time....

I WOULD like to say that guys like Sean O Haire, Randy Orton who are still young and green DO have potential. They have a certain talent that can draw a fan in whether it be charisma, in ring talent, talking and their "potential" may one day be shown when they put everything together. Most guys DONT put everything together though.

Potential is seeing something that can be captivating, special, or just big one day. BUt, their day has yet to arrive.

Guest CanadianChick

"Potential" is a word used when there is a young guy WWE is very high on. Every single young guy has 'potential'. Also, it can be used when WWE doesn't want to admit that someone sucks. Like how a lot of guys have 'potential' to be great one day. Yet another time the word potential is used is when WWE doesn't want to push someone. "He has potential to be great one day". In other words, 'potential' is just an excuse.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

(Test, SOH, Albert, Randy Orton, hell, Nathan Jones got potential remarks)

Test sucks, SOH hasn't done ANYTHING to warrant his supporters other than LOOK PRETTY, Albert has cool offense and works pretty stiff, Orton had that good match with Kidman on Velocity 10 months ago and it's fun to see who's moves from WCW 2001 he's going to rip off next (Diamond Cutter, Overdrive, 3.0!), and Jones is horrible.

Guest Anglesault
"Potential" is a word used when there is a young guy WWE is very high on. Every single young guy has 'potential'. Also, it can be used when WWE doesn't want to admit that someone sucks. Like how a lot of guys have 'potential' to be great one day.

That's how I see it.

I WOULD like to say that guys like Sean O Haire,

SOH has gotten degeneratively worse since his debut in 99 or 00 or whenever that was.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I don't think "potential" should be used as an argument in favour of a wrestler, however. When someone says a wrestler sucks saying "he won't suck when he gets good" isn't really much of a point.

Guest CanadianChick

I don't disagree that someone can have potential. But there has to be something there to make that statement. You can't just someone has potential because they are young. There has to be something to base that off of.

Guest CanadianChick

I don't disagree that someone can have potential. But there has to be something there to make that statement. You can't just someone has potential because they are young. There has to be something to base that off of.

I'd say that the phrase "so-and-so has potential" is a bit overused and has become very cliche. All it really is is someone trying to justify the fact that Wrestler A doesn't have enough experience to wrestle yet, but will someday, and they expect us to sit patiently until that day comes and believe that those better matches are actually going to happen...

That's pretty redundant with what's been said though... :sigh: :(

Guest RavishingRickRudo

I still don't get the Cena love. And I don't get the Benjamin non-love. Is potential subjective??

"Potential" is a word used when there is a young guy WWE is very high on. Every single young guy has 'potential'. Also, it can be used when WWE doesn't want to admit that someone sucks. Like how a lot of guys have 'potential' to be great one day.

That's how I see it.

I WOULD like to say that guys like Sean O Haire,

SOH has gotten degeneratively worse since his debut in 99 or 00 or whenever that was.

I feel bad for SOH cause it's not is fault that he's been givent he hoss moveset. The guy has tremendous agility for his size, and had a very cool moveset in WCW, and the crowd was into himlike crazy towards the end so he had great charisma. WWE decided to take all his moves away. No more high flying shit for him. Maybe one day he can adjust and still be watchable

Guest Anglesault
I still don't get the Cena love. And I don't get the Benjamin non-love. Is potential subjective??

OMG

Potential is racist!

Here's who i think has true potential and will be big players in the future:

Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, Matt Hardy, John Cena, Doug Basham, Sean O' Haire

Guest CanadianChick

Well, everyone always says how Benjamin and Haas rule as a tag team, so they do get love.

And Cena gets love because he is very charasmatic and some enjoy his matches (I personally do).

Guest RavishingRickRudo

*Gasp*

*thinks about it*

*Gasp*

YOU'RE RIGHT!!

"Potential is a creation of the man! Rodney Mack had potential but the man took it away!" - Teddy Long

Guest The Old Me
I feel bad for SOH cause it's not is fault that he's been givent he hoss moveset. The guy has tremendous agility for his size, and had a very cool moveset in WCW, and the crowd was into himlike crazy towards the end so he had great charisma. WWE decided to take all his moves away. No more high flying shit for him. Maybe one day he can adjust and still be watchable

That's WWE style. It's slow and lumbering.

Guest CanadianChick
*Gasp*

*thinks about it*

*Gasp*

YOU'RE RIGHT!!

"Potential is a creation of the man! Rodney Mack had potential but the man took it away!" - Teddy Long

Well, at least that would explain something...

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Considering how _good_ Benjamin is vs. how much love he is getting here (which is towards the _team_ rather than his individual work) he is being overlooked in my view.

Cena is trash. Worst DVD ever. Funny raps, that's it. The _only_ time he impressed me was the way he sold the ass punch to Rikishi a while back. That's not nearly enough to see everyone all up ons talkin bout him bein "the future" like that fuckin means something.

Guest Anglesault
Here's who i think has true potential and will be big players in the future:

Charlie Haas, Shelton Benjamin, Matt Hardy, John Cena, Doug Basham, Sean O' Haire

Some are obvious, some less so, one bizarre.

Please explain, how as of now, what they have that makes them special.

Guest The Old Me
Uuuumm......i never though Cena's FU was a DVD. I don't think it's intended to be. It's just a fireman's carry into an overhead slam

I'm sure Cole or Tazz has called it the DVD

Guest RavishingRickRudo

He doesn't even try now to make it look like a DVD, but before he did - and it sucked.

Charlie Haas

I haven't seen it yet.

Shelton Benjamin

REALLY good dark match vs. Val Venis, and his match vs. Benoit had him taking some hard shots and giving it back just as hard Add this to his agility, and athleticism shown in the tag matches (especially last week, *marked out for the springboard moonsault and springboard clothesline*) not to mention is COOL AS FUCK voice and natural charisma (which seems to be an objective thing - I see it, no one else does - ah well) not to mention being a lifelong fan and we got ourselves a big bowl of potential superstar... within the confines of the crappy wwe style.

Matt Hardy

I don't get this. He's been with the promotion for like 5 years.

John Cena

I haven't seen it.

Doug Basham, Sean O' Haire

This just makes me scratch my head.

Guest CanadianChick
Matt Hardy

I don't get this. He's been with the promotion for like 5 years.

True, but he's still pretty young. Under 30, I think.

Remember last year at this time when Edge, Rey Mysterio, and "The Rookie" John Cena were dubbed the future of Smackdown? That might have been an indicator of something.

Oh, and why isn't Brock considered the future? Sure, he's on top now, but he's going to be there for a loooong time. He's only 25.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

But pointing out that Matt is "the future" when he's already been in some of the greatest matches in WWE history (TLC's, Ladder) it's not like this giant leap. He's already an accomplished wrestler. Back in 2000 or 99 was when people were pointing at Matt and saying "there's the true talent of the team, that's the future" - it's 3 years later.

Guest Anglesault
Matt Hardy

I don't get this.  He's been with the promotion for like 5 years.

Remember last year at this time when Edge, Rey Mysterio, and "The Rookie" John Cena were dubbed the future of Smackdown?

Dork! The Dork! Future Dork! is Dork! Now, Dork!

/Edge

Guest AndrewTS

"Potential" is a justification of pushing guys who aren't very good under the pretense they might not suck later. So they can just push them on look (a tall muscular guy with short tights, spikey hair, tattoos--oh boy!) and think we'll respond to them.

Guest CanadianChick
Matt Hardy

I don't get this.  He's been with the promotion for like 5 years.

Remember last year at this time when Edge, Rey Mysterio, and "The Rookie" John Cena were dubbed the future of Smackdown?

Dork! The Dork! Future Dork! is Dork! Now, Dork!

/Edge

Actually, it was after Edge always said dork. Geez, get your facts straight.