TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

It's weird that the only teams that officially went after Owen were goalless, winless Newcastle United and newbie, tipped for relegation Wigan Athletic. You'd have thought someone bigger would have bid for him.

Hell, I'm a little surprised Tottenham didn't try to sign him and save some money by leaving Jenas well alone.

How's everyone on Sven's super Wayne-tastic 4-5-1©? I think it made for a dog of a game, but we've got the midfielders to pull it off. Can't leave Owen out though, even if he is gonna be a championship striker sooner than later ;)

The fact that Sam Ricketts and Dave Partridge looked competitive against England shows how flawed the 4-5-1 formation was. If Super Paul Robinson wasn't so good, we'd have gone in at half time with the lead. The only time I've wanted Robbo to play shit all year.

Nice to see also that, with the signing of Jenas, there are 5 Tottenham players likely to be going to the World Cup with England.

Worst performance and result since Scotland at Wembley, we'll still qualify either as winners or one of the best runners up but that's nothing to boast about with our group being one of the easiest.

Christ. What a shambles. Even leaving aside Sven's tactical ineptitude, those 11 players should have enough to beat N.I. no matter what.

Unless they just don't care, which increasingly seems to be the case.

Madness.

I was shocked when someone I read in the paper that Steven Gerrard started. Because I certainly didn't see any of him. Joe Cole needs to realise he isn't Cristiano Ronaldo and him doing stepovers and shoulder fakes for 20 seconds when people are screaming for a cross isn't cute and isn't clever. Playing Rooney on the left is madness. Making Lampard defend on the edge of his area...ditto. Owen Hargreaves!?! Fuck that.

I can understand why Sven was convinced 4-5-1/4-3-3 could work. After all, it works great for Man United and Chelsea. If he had half a brain though, he'd realise tactics only work with the right players. For 4-5-1, you need two attacking wingers, somebody in the middle who can create and/or attack, at least one in the middle who can play the holding role and a striker who can win a header. It works for Man U and Chelsea because they have Van Nistelrooy and Drogba. Not to mention Giggs/Ronaldo/Park/Richardson and Duff/Robben/Wright Phillips.

Madness.

Owen Hargreaves!?! Fuck that.

I pretty much agree with everything you said and Owen Hargreaves was still the biggest mystery to me last night. 1-0 down, time running out and fucking Hargreaves comes on?!

Fuck that indeed.

Sven should only go if we fail to qualify, it's clear he won't fuck around with the formation again and I stand by him and his fine record.

In other news, Wednesday are grooming Barry Corr, a striker in the Peter Crouch mold. Hmm. I want Quinny back! :(

Was anyone able to work out what formation we were supposed to be playing at the end?

I lost track after Cole and Beckham both went to right wing at different points and Hargreaves started playing centre back.

I watched the last half hour in a local pub.

The one thing I realised is that Sven's England have never been able to come back from a goal down properly. As soon as they scored, I couldn,t see us getting anything back. Damn uncompetative qualifying matches.

Cricket's where it's at now! A sport a Hampshire team can win a trophy in can't be bad.