TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chazz

"Mama's Family"

I loved watching "Mama's Family" back In the day. I always thought that It was an underrated sitcom. For those that used to watch, I have a couple of questions that I could never figure out:

1.) How's come Vint seemed to get progressively stupid as the show moved on?

2.) If The Harper's Neighbor, Iola Boylen(sp?), lived next door her whole life, why wasn't she ever featured let alone mentioned the first couple years?

That being said, I actually enjoyed this series more as It went on. I really can't say the same for some of my other favorite comedies (Seinfeld, Married...With Children)

Guest PopGun22
1.) How's come Vint seemed to get progressively stupid as the show moved on?

Because, generally, STUPID = COMEDY

2.) If The Harper's Neighbor, Iola Boylen(sp?), lived next door her whole life, why wasn't she ever featured let alone mentioned the first couple years?

Shows bring in new characters whenever they feel they're missing something? I dunno. But her character WASN'T funny.

<If The Harper's Neighbor, Iola Boylen(sp?), lived next door her whole life, why wasn't she ever featured let alone mentioned the first couple years?>

Blame NBC for the continuity gap, as Iola was retrofitted into the show's backstory when NBC raided the cast when CBS cancelled the show during it's down time before being revived in first-run syndication.

She was created as a sidekick character for Mama when the show got cancelled and Rue McClanahan (who played Mama's sidekick and sister Fran) was snapped up by NBC for Golden Girls. So she gets introduced and becomes Mama's sidekick and Fran gets killed off off-screen in order to explain away Rue not being part of the cast anymore when the show was revived in syndication...

Guest WrestlingDeacon

JasonX is right on Iola. In fact, it's extemely rare to see any of the original shows in syndication. Not only was Rue McClanahan in the cast early on, but so was Betty White, Harvey Korman and Carol Burnette. The latter two reprising their roles from the Carol Burnette show were the skit originated.

For Vince getting more stupid, the same can be said of Homer on the Simpsons. As shows wear on and a big turnover in the writing staff occurs, the new writers will often go to the extremes of the characters basic makeup. It's like they understand the type, but the not character themselves. In fact everyone on the show became dumber as the seasons progressed.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

The old shows from CBS are/were being run on TBS at 6 am weekdays before Saved By the Bell.

I really don't like the show though. I thought it was kinda stupid.

Guest Downhome

I'd LOVE a box set of the series. :D

Edited by Downhome

Guest kingkamala

I fuckin hate Mama's Family. Possibly the worst long-running sitcom of all time. It was simply just not funny at all.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You don't hate it as much as I do. I didn't even bother reading this thread. I fantasize about hitting Vicki Lawrence with a brick, and that's all. Please carry on.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

I never cared for the "first-run" series, but I loved the newer ones. (Don't forget Bubba in the second series.)

Thanks a lot Mama...

I fuckin hate Mama's Family. Possibly the worst long-running sitcom of all time. It was simply just not funny at all.

Agreed.

Agreed.

What's with all the Mama's Family hate?

Guest kingkamala

I can't really explain why I hate the show except for Vicki Lawrence annoys the shit out of me and the show is unbearably unfunny.

Guest EdwardKnoxII

Well in the first couple of years the family did talk about Boylen's that lived across the street in a few eps. They just never showed them. But, it wasn't until they revamped it that we saw a member of the Boylen family, which was Iola.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

I always enjoyed Mama's Family. But I was a Carol Burnette mark anyway, so it was only natural. I'd hit Vicki Lawrence alright...but not with no damn brick. That was the only part I hated about Mama's Family; dressing Vicki up like an old lady. She was rather hot without the makeup.

vicki100x.jpg

As for Vint getting dumber, I think it's been explained to death. But even without a changeover of writers, if they notice the audience responding to a certain aspect of a character, they tend to shove that one trait down our throats ad nauseum. See JJ in Good Times for an example of this or Steve Urkel on Family Matters.

Edited by Crucifixio Jones

Guest AndrewTS

The show wasn't that great, but I watched it when I was younger.

What happened to the kids from Vint's first marriage? They just vanished it seems and never were mentioned again.

Guest teke184

What happened to the kids from Vint's first marriage? They just vanished it seems and never were mentioned again.

It was covered in the first episode of the syndicated series as they talked about why Buzz, Sonja, Betty White's character and Eunice couldn't make it to Aunt Fran's funeral. I don't remember WHAT that reason was, though.

Guest Big_Jay101

Was that story true about getting drunka nd buying all the tapes?

Guest kingkamala

You know what makes me pissed even moreso about Mama's Family? Is that "Mama" has her own show in Branson, Missouri, I saw it on a VH1 "Where are they now?" special. They even showed a clip of Mama rapping.

Guest Bosstones Fan

It's the Onion, so you never know. But the very sick and twisted part of my brain absolutely hopes that it is because that's just too goddamned funny.

It's the Onion, so you never know. But the very sick and twisted part of my brain absolutely hopes that it is because that's just too goddamned funny.

For those that have no idea what the 'story' is, would someone please explain it?

Guest EdwardKnoxII

It was covered in the first episode of the syndicated series as they talked about why Buzz, Sonja, Betty White's character and Eunice couldn't make it to Aunt Fran's funeral. I don't remember WHAT that reason was, though

In that ep Mama mentioned twice that Buzz and Sonja couldn't be there but, she never mentioned why they couldn't be there. And that was the last we ever heard from them

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Basically the Onion had a story awhile back that a guy came home drunk. Got on ebay and bought every singles episode of Mama's Family on tape for hundreds of dollars. Of course, he didn't remember this until they showed up at his door and he found a sizable credit card bill at the end of the month. And yes, it's not a true story.