TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JustJoe2k5

MOTYC so far.

Reading about Vengeance with three ****+ matches, it got me thinking about all of the MOTYC WWE has had this year, so I thought we would list them. You can also add a star-rating if you want.

-Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero (Vengeance) ****

-Kidman and Mysterio vs. World's Greatest Tag Team (Vengeance) ****1/4

-Big Show vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle (Vengeance) ****

Guest Choken One

My List in Order

1. Benoit Vs Angle

2. Jericho Vs HBK (Mania)

3. Angle Vs Lesnar

4. Benoit Vs Eddy

5. Kidman/Mysterio Vs The World's Greatest

Guest Dynamite Kido

Benoit vs. Angle - *****

Benoit vs. Guerrero - *****(for a WWE match)

Jericho vs. HBK - ****1/4 (Wrestlemania XIX)

Jericho vs. HBK - ***1/2 - (WM rematch)

Rey/Kidman vs. TWGTT - ****

Angle vs. Brock - **** (Wrestlemania)

Guest Choken One

Because you bastards refuse to admit you liked Steiner/HHH at No Way Out.

Guest BionicRedneck

Shawn/Jericho is easily WWE MOTY. It just reeked of WrestleMania magic. Wrong guy won, though.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Angle vs. Brock and HBK vs. Jericho shouldn't be on the list IMO... Shit, I liked those Tajeddi vs. Team Angle tag matches A LOT more than HBK/Jericho (didn't quite have the needless back work and no selling), and Angle vs. Brock was a total disappointment.

Guest Choken One

Considering Angle was 60% for the match...***3/4 is pretty damn remarkable.

Guest godthedog

and angle/lesnar is brought up to my dismay yet again.

i have this cute little back-and-forth dialogue with half the board, it always goes like...

me: will someone please tell me why angle/lesnar was so good?

everyone who loves angle/lesnar: ...

i have never heard a single reason why it's so good. i'm not even talking "never heard a GOOD reason," i've never heard a reason for it at all. period.

somebody make it stop and tell me WHY it's so good. i don't even care if the reasons are shitty at this point, just give me some kind of explanation that can be argued.

Guest RavishingRickRudo

So? That doesn't make MOTYC. It effected the match in a negative way.

Guest Choken One
If anyone thinks last nights main event was a MOTYC.... :spank:

:::Looks around:::

Who said it was MOTYC?

Guest Choken One
So? That doesn't make MOTYC. It effected the match in a negative way.

It isn't a MOTYC on my list...That was just the order of my wwe matches of the year...

Only One is MOTYC.

It affected the match in a negative way? No shit...seeing how they had to rebook and work around the neck killing off about 55% of Angle and Lesnar's move set. They managed to get something pretty damn exciting and fun.

Guest BionicRedneck
Reading about Vengeance with three ****+ matches, it got me thinking about all of the MOTYC WWE has had this year, so I thought we would list them. You can also add a star-rating if you want.

Him ^

Guest Choken One
Reading about Vengeance with three ****+ matches, it got me thinking about all of the MOTYC WWE has had this year, so I thought we would list them.  You can also add a star-rating if you want.

Him ^

Well don't pay attention to him...

Who else gave it ****? Most reports have been pretty much ***1/2-***3/4...

i have this cute little back-and-forth dialogue with half the board, it always goes like...

i have never heard a single reason why it's so good. i'm not even talking "never heard a GOOD reason," i've never heard a reason for it at all. period.

somebody make it stop and tell me WHY it's so good. i don't even care if the reasons are shitty at this point, just give me some kind of explanation that can be argued.

I'm with this guy.

Also, I've only seen 15 minutes (including entrances) of HBK/Shawn (WM), it was looking to shape up nicely, but the idiot didn't finish recording the match. So, I really can't judge that one. I REALLY think that Benoit/Angle is overrated. Sorry. I've seen the match and some of the spots were nice, but I never felt any of the "emotion" or "drama" that's supposed to accompany this match. I'd give it three and a half stars if I could put a rating on it. Personally, I think it was the standing O that Benoit got that makes the match rate so highly in you guy's eyes.

The only matches in recent history that I'd give five stars are HHH/Shawn from SS '02 and the Rock/Angle/Taker masterpiece from last summer.

Guest godthedog

choken: dynamite said it, SK...and look at the old "kurt angle's best matches" thread. a disturbing amount of people put it in the top 3.

and i thought angle/benoit was ****1/2 as soon as the bell rang, before the standing O. doesn't affect the match at all. in fact, it's the other way around, as the match's greatness itself prompted the ovation.

jericho/hbk had a good last 10 minutes with the fatigue and the near falls and such, but it went very slow. the summerslam match with trips had the same problem. all the spots & reversals & whatnot were good, they just took twice as long to get through as they should have. shawn's not in as good shape as he ought to be. i remember the mat wrestling in particular being pretty slow and ugly.

EDIT: and NO WAY is that shawn/trips summerslam match better than angle/benoit, much less five stars.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit - *****

XXX vs. F'N Amazing vs. Shark Boy/Jason Cross vs. Jonny Storm/Chris Sabin - ****1/4

America's Most Wanted vs. XXX (Cage Match) - ****1/2

Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero - ****1/4

So really, for me, it's tied between Angle/Benoit and AMW/XXX, because both matches fucking ruled it.

Guest BionicRedneck

Scott Keith gave it ****.

What a fucking cretin Scott Keith is.

Guest TheBostonStrangler

Match of the year is Benoit/Angle at RR 2003. Greatest match I've ever seen.

Guest BionicRedneck

Some people have this really, really big problem where anything Kurt Angle does gets a knee-jerk ***1/2 + reaction. Then they come out with "Kurt Angle has never had a bad match" (I eagerly await an Angle fanboy to ask me to name a bad Kurt Angle match, and when I do, he nonsensically argues it was good )or "Kurt is the new Flair". Jeez, people....c'mon!

Guest BionicRedneck
Match of the year is Benoit/Angle at RR 2003. Greatest match I've ever seen.

I don't mean to sound like a dick (I really don't) but, I am curious: How long have you been watching wrestling?

Guest EternallyLazy

I'll tell you why

Because I've NEVER been that emotionally pulled into a match. Fuck the moveset that some of you cry out is the most important aspect of pro wrestling. This match was amazing in my opinion, because knowing how hurt Angle was, I felt every bump he took. Everyone in the room (I threw a WM party) felt every bump he took, whether it was a simple armdrag or a gorilla press slam. Watching the match again today, I still think it's a match of the year candidate. THE match of the year? No. But a damn good match, made even greater when you look back at the circumstances and realize that Kurt didnt have to go out there and do any of what he did, and probably shouldn't have.

Guest BionicRedneck

so, because Angle was injured (and took risks, which you as an Angle fan "felt") the match = good?

Austin/Rock must have been great too then, huh?

Guest EternallyLazy
The only matches in recent history that I'd give five stars are HHH/Shawn from SS '02 and the Rock/Angle/Taker masterpiece from last summer.

Taker/Rock/Angle... five stars??

You're joking right??

Guest Choken One

where did he say *****?

< Refuses to believe such a statement was uttered

Guest EternallyLazy
so, because Angle was injured (and took risks, which you as an Angle fan "felt") the match = good?

Austin/Rock must have been great too then, huh?

Read it again

Because I... me... Eternallylazy... Justin Dudley... have never felt that EMOTIONALLY pulled into a match. I watched it live.

Oh but I guess the BionicRedneck ***** standard is what every person on the board should look at right??

I gave you MY reasons for listing Brock/Angle as a great match. It's my opinion, I think I'm entitled to it. You don't think it's a good match? Good for you. It's your opinion