TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

Triple H's Backstage Power

Guest CanadianChick
A woman shouldn't be on a wrestling booking team anyway.

Now what the fuck was that suppose to mean? If someone can write well, they can write well. Gender doesn't matter.

Guest HartFan86
A woman shouldn't be on a wrestling booking team anyway.

Now what the fuck was that suppose to mean? If someone can write well, they can write well. Gender doesn't matter.

Agreed. I remember reading about how right before WWF left USA, they had a woman who sat in on the writing team and helped control it. I think she was a representive for USA, and they said she did excellent. This was like early 2000, which has some of the best Raw's EVER.

My memory is fuzzy, though.

Guest Dangerous A

It's the person's background coupled with what is going to be pushed that matters. Steph pushes for more soap opera oriented storylines and Vince is all for it.

Guest The Old Me

Shane is just a mark who will push Test. Hopefully Vince has a smart illegitimate kid somewhere who cna take over.

Guest CronoT
Whoa, whoa, whoa...What's all this about HHH and backstage power? I never heard about any of this before.

Newbie....

Paul Levesque (Triple H) used his relationship(s) with Stephanie McMahon to get what can only be described as a then unheard of amount of backstage power. This means he was telling Vince, albeit politely, who he would job to, who he wouldn't job to, when he would work, and who he would or wouldn't work with.

The stories about Levesque manipulating angles and matches backstage are legion. But, the one that most people still remember very well was the Booker/Triple H WM switch.

The orignial plan for the RAW Title match was for Booker to win the title, and for him and Triple H feud over it for a few months, probably ending with Triple H winning it back at SummerSlam. (This was before Goldberg was signed on.)

The backstage skits between Booker and Triple H leading up to WM portrayed Triple H as a racist, and even the commentators were in on it, with Jerry Lawler repeatedly mentioning that Booker served time for the armed robbery of a convience store.

According to leaks from the creative and booking teams, Triple H was livid that he was going to be jobbing to Booker for the title. So, approximately 2-3 days before WM, the end was changed, with Booker T going down.

What really made this match stand out, and not in a good way, was that almost every other match with two main event caliber wrestlers had the jobbing guy go down after 3 "finishers." Booker T was hit with the Pedigree once, and then lied there for the delayed cover and count.

Booker was then reduced to lower mid-card hell, until his feud with Christian for the IC title, which is still going on now. Since the IC champ is usually the "unofficial" #1 Contender for the World Title, Booker may get his chance again; but don't be surprised if when Booker starts getting really over again, he mysteriously goes on a losing streak, and can't even win the IC title.

Guest Dangerous A

Sorry to tell you, the IC champ IS lower midcard hell. That belt wrapped around Booker's waist is worth about as much as the foil wrapped around a piece of Wrigley's chewing gum.

Guest CronoT
I think he was joking....

He had the "shock/surprised" post icon on his post. If he was joking, he would have used another, or none at all, most likely.

Guest Lightning Flik
Sorry to tell you, the IC champ IS lower midcard hell. That belt wrapped around Booker's waist is worth about as much as the foil wrapped around a piece of Wrigley's chewing gum.

The Hardcore belt that was given to Mick just recently had more credibility than the IC title does. That's how low that belt has sunk.

There's not a thing that HHH can't probably do right now, I bet. He probably IS running WWE.

Guest FeArHaVoC

When Triple H was out with the quad tear, wasn't he working behind the scenes during the Invasion angle?

Guest Just Looking
I think he was joking....

He had the "shock/surprised" post icon on his post. If he was joking, he would have used another, or none at all, most likely.

Wrong. Ripper's been here a while, he was kidding.

Guest PowerPB13

So would it be wrong to hope that the whole family(including a certain future in-law) dies in a plane crash?

-Patrick

P.S. I think I'm kidding...

Guest Ripper

Really, there are like 9 threads about it in the first page alone, of course I was joking.

As for HHH and his power...who gives a shit. HHH ideas might be selfish, but if I had to live with his ideas or Vince's own, I would take HHH all fucking day. Vince ain't right in the head people. He ain't.

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

If someone at a site called TheSMARTMARKS says anything about not knowing of Triple H's backstage power, it's clearly a joke. Especially the way Ripper said it.

Guest Dangerous A
When Triple H was out with the quad tear, wasn't he working behind the scenes during the Invasion angle?

Wrong. HHH was busy rehabbing during the Invasion. As much as people hate to admit it, Vince and his family (Steph and Shane) fucked up the Invasion, royally. HHH only contributed creatively around the end of his rehab and the end of the Invasion when he was trying to fit himself in storyline wise, which was around November or so. By then, the angle was long fucked beyond any repair. He was considered to do a run in at the end of the Survivor Series main event where it was proposed that he cost Austin the match for the Alliance and giving Rock and the WWE the win, but HHH didn't want to give his return away unannounced on a pay per view, since more people watch the free tv shows.

Guest Ripper

Wrong. HHH was busy rehabbing during the Invasion. As much as people hate to admit it, Vince and his family (Steph and Shane) fucked up the Invasion, royally. HHH only contributed creatively around the end of his rehab and the end of the Invasion when he was trying to fit himself in storyline wise, which was around November or so. By then, the angle was long fucked beyond any repair. He was considered to do a run in at the end of the Survivor Series main event where it was proposed that he cost Austin the match for the Alliance and giving Rock and the WWE the win, but HHH didn't want to give his return away unannounced on a pay per view, since more people watch the free tv shows.

Hey hey, now. Steph wanted to leave with HHH and comeback as the duo of heat killers and Shane didn't even want to be on television. Blame the boss on the Invasion...oh and the whole WWE roster not wanting to ever lose to the WCW guys. That hurt too. Oh yeah. ANd BUFF. That fucking bastard killed it dead from the begaining.

Guest Dangerous A

Shane has a funny way of not wanting to be on television. Wrestling a street fight with Angle at KOTR and again the night after Angle won the title from Austin.

Shane is a McMahon. If he didn't want to wrestle, then he wouldn't. There were only 50 or 60 other actual wrestlers who could've worked instead of Shane. Some of them Alliance members. Some of which could've gotten over if Shane wasn't too busy stealing the spotlight from the Alliance.

Guest PowerPB13

You know, I remember watching one of those Desire videos once and realizing that, even though certain people may not have held titles or main-evented supercards or pay-per-views, they were all a part of what the WWF/WWE was. Jake "The Snake" Roberts was one of those guys who was a major part of the WWF, both as a face and as a heel, even though he never held any belts and rarely main-evented(the closest he came was the feud with Randy Savage).

Maybe it's enough to recognize that *I* know certain wrestlers are great, even if other people(whether they be WWE bookers who don't see fit to push them, or casual fans who see those wrestlers as losers because of the way they're booked) don't look at things the same way.

...naah.

-Patrick

Diamond Back Dingo vs. Delirious, 3/28/03

gcwtrick21.jpg

Guest Ripper
Shane has a funny way of not wanting to be on television. Wrestling a street fight with Angle at KOTR and again the night after Angle won the title from Austin.

Shane is a McMahon. If he didn't want to wrestle, then he wouldn't. There were only 50 or 60 other actual wrestlers who could've worked instead of Shane. Some of them Alliance members. Some of which could've gotten over if Shane wasn't too busy stealing the spotlight from the Alliance.

What spotlight. He would walk through once a show in between Stephanie and her breast and say "We will win" and shit, and then a run in or something. he was really hardly there. The only time he did something worthwhile was during that last speech the week before the whole angle got killed dead. He was instrumental in the beganing with Booker T and such, but once Steph and her boobs got involved, it was back seat for EVERYONE.

Guest AndrewTS
That's because according to insiders like Meltz, Steph has a better head for wrestling than Shane.

Zenk's right--this company is doomed to die under its 3rd generation of owners unless the McMahons forfeit all creative power to some one fit to run it.

Guest Dangerous A
What spotlight. He would walk through once a show in between Stephanie and her breast and say "We will win" and shit, and then a run in or something. he was really hardly there. The only time he did something worthwhile was during that last speech the week before the whole angle got killed dead. He was instrumental in the beganing with Booker T and such, but once Steph and her boobs got involved, it was back seat for EVERYONE.

The problem was he was on the show. Steph doesn't get a pass here either, but neither does Shane. The only people who were allowed to even fucking talk during the Invasion to get over were Shane, Steph, and Stone Cold. I am not sure what Invasion you were watching. Remember the Booker/Rock program lasted 2 months. Shane was even in the last match at Survivor Series. Shane was put over the fucking Big Show for the first fall of that match that ended the Invasion. Why did Shane wrestle in the main event to the blowoff to the Invasion? Cause he was a big part of it, that's why. He walked after they lost and wasn't heard from for awhile.

What Spotlight? Please.

Guest Vyce

I think I'm with Zenk on this one.

HHH as owner will lead in a wrestling dark age that the WWE may not recover from.

Guest D'Lo White

I swear I remember a Raw where Shane did a run in for 3 different matches after opening the show with a long promo. I don't think he was taking a backseat to anyone during the Invasion..

Guest Ripper

How many months was the Invasion thing? The first few months when it was Rock/Booker...then yeah, there was Shane...in THAT angle. The rest of the show was shoving the camera in stone colds face...when it should have been any other WCW guy. The entire middle of the Invasion was Stonecold talking to his watch and saying what with Angle jumping from side to side. STILL, no real shane there at all. Then at the end, when it was over and done with, Shane make a inspirational speech or two and wrestles in the last match. But it was over then...it didn't matter anymore.

Heyman, Steph , Stephanies breast, Austin, and sometimes Angle got the majority of the face time in the Invasion with RVD right behind them. Shane was a distant 6th...7th if you count Stephs breast individually.

I mean seriously. Her boobs were the focal point of about 3 storylines during the Invasion...how can Shane possible be considered close to being in the spotlight more than her.

Guest Dangerous A

OK then.

May-June= Shane takes on Angle in a Street Fight at KOTR. The Street Fight is pushed harder than the KOTR tournament itself. Shane is brought in as owner of WCW. The angle is ruined by a horrible Booker vs Buff match, so it's changed to the Alliance. The whole time, Shane is on TV as part of run ins. The most glaring being the MSG show where Booker axe kicked Austin and was chased away. Who helped Booker get away? Shane.

July-August= Shane is one of 3 mouthpieces that talk for Alliance members. Steph got most of the talk time, but Shane is there as well. Shane also backs up Booker in his match with Rock, which happens to be the co main event for Summerslam.

August-September=Shane plugs himself in high profile matches with Booker in a handicap match against Rock and was the first in line for a title shot at Angle after he won the title from Austin at Unforgiven.

September-October= Not much happening with Shane other than him giving motivational speeches to fellow Alliance members.

October-November= Shane is included in the 5 on 5 main event elimination match for survival of the alliance. While Shane is the first one pinned on his team, he is still allowed to go over Big Show for the first fall in the match.

From May-November, Shane McMahon was on WWF TV a lot and he was in high position as a main eventer or a main mouthpiece for Alliance members.

Number of Stars created from Shane McMahon's prescence=0.

Number of appearances Shane was on TV in a top position= too many to keep track of.

Guest Shaved Bear

I doubt Vince willed the company to HHH, anyone with a half of brain (yes Vince has about that much) knows that leaving something in the will to a husband/wife of a child is foolish...but he probably will give it to Steph, which of course leads to Hunter owning it pretty much. Maybe once he cant wrestle anymore he'll bow out gracefully like Shawn Michaels Kevin Nash, and Ric Flair

Guest SupaTaft
Zenk's right--this company is doomed to die under its 3rd generation of owners unless the McMahons forfeit all creative power to some one fit to run it.

That man is Dusty Rhodes.

-Taft