TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

90 minute SD! on 9/11

The September 9, 2003 taping of Smackdown will air on September 11, and will be only a 90 minute show. The final 30 minutes will be used by UPN to debut the new show "The Mullets."

However, there is a bit of controversy over this decision. Most networks are expected to broadcast September 11, 2001 special programming, but UPN has decided to not show news, and also debut new programming.

The network has been criticized for taking advantage of the lack of competition on a sensitive date for the country.

credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

I say Vince is probably strong-arming UPN in this matter in order to not have an episode of his show cancelled, but that's just me.

Guest Trivia247

Fox news did take over UPN once over here to do a Bush speech over Smackdown. So its not impossible.

Guest Retro Rob

FOX News always takes over UPN in NY, so I doubt I'll be seeing the 9/11 SD, which sucks because I think it is time to move on and not be stuck with 6 news programs running primetime.

Guest CronoT
Hey, nothing more American than mullets :rolleyes:

...and Vince McMahon.

...and shoving your d*** in an apple pie.

Guest wrestlingbs

I can understand showing an alternative to other network programming, but come on, the Mullets? Can't they show something that isn't as offensive to humanity?

Guest HHH's 'Roid Needle

Less offensive to humanity? Such as Tajiri coming to the ring being announced as from "Japan", spewing green mist? Or Eddy Guerrero in a low rider carrying around a bottle of wax? :D

If people don't like it or find it offensive, CHANGE THE CHANNEL or don't turn on your TV at all.

Nobody complains about what UPN or Cartoon Network or Lifetime or whatever is running on December 7th or any other disasterous dates, just move on.

Guest wrestlingbs
Less offensive to humanity? Such as Tajiri coming to the ring being announced as from "Japan", spewing green mist? Or Eddy Guerrero in a low rider carrying around a bottle of wax? :D

No, like as in a show that doesn't suck as much.

No. like Steph McMahon's slow metamorphosis into Chyna.

Guest Choken One

Last year was fine but it's two years removed...

9/11 is just a part of our past aside from a Moment of Silence...No need to dwell on it anymore.

Let's talk about how we STILL haven't captured the person who caused it and in all liklihood...we won't.

The real story here is that UPN is wanting to cut time out of its highest rated show in order to debut what will prove to be one of the worst television series of all time.

If UPN thinks that the average wrestling fan is going to watch this show ... or that they can relate to the show at all ... wow ... TV execs are morons.

Guest Anglesault

I can honestly say that the Mullets looks infinitely worse than any TV show I have ever seen on any station.

Guest Trivia247

Like Joe Dirt without the Comedy of David Spade or the Forrest Gump like Oddessy

Aside from the major networks and the news cable networks, there are going to be channels still airing their normal content. I don't see HGTV switching over to a news/tribute show. Networks, like UPN, are deciding whether they should/should not run news programming that night. UPN is betting people may not want to be bombarded again with 9/11 footage, and is providing an alternative. Sure, people will complain, but it's their business to get people to watch advertisements, and what a better way to do that by trying to program with entertainment related shows.

I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with what UPN is doing. I just hope they don't make a big deal that the Mullet's debut happens to be on 9/11. They should advertise more like "coming this thursday" instead.

Guest D'Lo White

The Mullets can't possibly be worst then the Rerun Show.

You know you can't wait for the stars of the Mullets to be involved in some wacky backstage skits on that episode of Smackdown.

Guest Anglesault
The Mullets can't possibly be worst then the Rerun Show.

It will be.

Guest Shaved Bear

i think we are forgetting of a show called Oliver Beene, or Girlfriends

but either way, I heardthe damn towers get hit and I say move the fuck on already, we're only showing weakness here

(no fuckin retorts, ive argued this too much)

Guest Big_Jay101

Isn't Raw being Postponed Nextweek for some stupid show on TNN also?

Isn't it generally considered a measure of a show's solid ratings and popularity to use it as a lead-in for a crappy show to bolster ratings?

Isn't it generally considered a measure of a show's solid ratings and popularity to use it as a lead-in for a crappy show to bolster ratings?

A lead-in, yes - but don't give away Smackdown time. Start the Mullets at 10pm.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!
i think we are forgetting of a show called Oliver Beene,

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! don't say that ever again please.

Guest Boo_Bradley

At the risk of being offensive, will the Mullet's be the 2nd worst thing to happen to the USA on 9/11?

Guest Shaved Bear
i think we are forgetting of a show called Oliver Beene,

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! don't say that ever again please.

see there is something that is worse than the mullets

Guest Korgath

I'm betting we'll probably be thankful for the 90 minute show, since they'll remove all the segments that "don't matter to ratings" (i.e. the matches) and go straight into whatever McMahon feud they're planning.

All the more reason for us to tune out on 9/11.