TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Bands ever back this up when they say

Come to think of it the only bands that go back to their roots anymore are washed up acts who figure they aren't going to sell any records or get airplay anyway and decide to go back to their roots. Example: Basically every classic rock act.

Guest Choken One
Disturbed manages to show some range in their second CD that a lot of nu-metal bands don't have. ("Darkness", for example)

I agree with "Believe" being better than "The Sickness", too.

Interesting you say that

When Metallica did "Nothing Else Matters"...The Fans shat on it because it showed James had some range and could do more then growl and scream.

When Disturbed did "Darkness"...the fans ate it up with a spoon because it showed David had some range and could do more then growl and scream...

Odd eh?

I seriously believe that David Draiman will become one of the KEY players in the revival of Metal, should it happen.

We're starting at least where I've seen...More Metal acts such as Disturbed, Shadows Fall, BLS and other random stuff get played on radio stations that tended to play Blink 182, Foo Fighters, Korn, Saliva type rock (I.E Pop Rock)...

Draiman has intense charisma and command that he could steal the industry and we all know how intelligent he is but yet how bitterly scarcastic he is as well...

Let's Hope 2004 is the year of Metal Revivial...

Guest Doyo
However I will get this album if not for there cover of "One" as I really like that song and I thought that Korn did an excellent job covering it.

They didn't even play the whole song. They stopped when the fast and more complex

parts of the song were to kick in.

Well I liked what they played...besides it's not like they could actually hold a candle to Metallica....despite what Lars had to say.

And I saw Disturbed in concert. Now the Warped Tour was a badass concert but Disturbed was one of the best concerts I've ever been to....I mean it just rocked all over.

You better be kidding.

Either that, or you need to go watch more Simpsons.

And for the record...Korn's putting their "One" cover on a CD? I smell the suck from here.

Secondly, Choken, I think that was kind of an interesting statement you made about Hetfield, mainly because I really can't ever recall him growling, and "Nothing Else Matters" wasn't the first time he sung in a softer voice like that. For evidence, look to "Fade to Black" or "One".

I think the "backlash" against the song (In quotations because EVERYONE I know adores that song) would've been more from the fact that the song is mostly all soft, as opposed to the songs mentioned above, which followed the slow-fast-slow-fast bit.

I can't find the word "cromulant" anywhere!

You need to embiggen your vocabulary...

And to stay on topic, what about Dylan? He certainly evolved, and people didn't shit on him for doing it.

The beatles? When My Guitar Gently Weeps doesn't sound anything like I Wanna Hold Your Hand...

And to stay on topic, what about Dylan? He certainly evolved, and people didn't shit on him for doing it.

I remember reading an article in Rolling Stone about people shitting on Dylan after he made his first music video in the mid 80's. And even more people complained when Dylan went electric in 1964

KK's right: you hit on kinda the exact opposite of the truth. His folk-rock fans booed the hell out of him when he plugged in. In hindsight, of course everyone loves it, but at the time he got tore up.

The Bootleg Series #4, "Live At Albert Hall" album captures this pretty well. You can hear them booing him when he goes from acoustic to electric, and he just does not give a shit. Bless that man.

I would have loved to hear Bruce sing "Man On The Edge". I always said that to get Blaze to hit the proper notes, he would have to have someone use a nutcracker on his sack.

I have to agreed with the consensus about Disturbed. They're proving to have legs, and they are starting to (albeit slowly) get away from the staccato singing verses to go along with the staccato guitar riff. Its a slow process with some false starts, but its evident.

And to stay on topic, what about Dylan?  He certainly evolved, and people didn't shit on him for doing it.

KK's right: you hit on kinda the exact opposite of the truth. His folk-rock fans booed the hell out of him when he plugged in. In hindsight, of course everyone loves it, but at the time he got tore up.

And also during his Jesus period of the late 70s/early 80s.

Guest Choken One

SOAD? Please, that over-pretentious bullshit is so shit bearingly drivial...the lead singer's voice is irritating and glass piercingly nails on chalk like.

Deftones? Shoot Yourself.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
glass piercingly nails on chalk like

..Ok.

The first album of their strikes me as pretty good, the second one is overplayed and mediocre, third one sucks. I predict their next one will be TERRIBLE.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

U2 went back to their roots with the 2000 album, All That You Can't Leave Behind.

IMO, it was better then Pop, and probobly their best since Achtung Baby.

U2 went back to their roots with the 2000 album, All That You Can't Leave Behind.

I do like that album, first 6 tracks especially, but I wouldn't call it going back to their roots. That's what they called it, but it mostly just meant cutting out some of the more electronic/dance influences they played with on the 90's trilogy. ATYCLB doesn't really sound like Boy, October, or War, even if the songs are a bit more straight-forward. It is a bit closer to Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire in spirit, but I think the sound is still unique to their career path.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I do like that album, first 6 tracks especially, but I wouldn't call it going back to their roots. That's what they called it, but it mostly just meant cutting out some of the more electronic/dance influences they played with on the 90's trilogy. ATYCLB doesn't really sound like Boy, October, or War, even if the songs are a bit more straight-forward. It is a bit closer to Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire in spirit, but I think the sound is still unique to their career path.

While October, and War are powerful albums I really think they're too simplistic for U2 to ever totally revisit their sound. Maybe in this way, All That You Can't Leave Behind is the truest example of returning to a band's roots. It brings back many elements of older work, but doesn't sacrifice the improvements the band has made.

Choken:

Disturbed are not metal simply because their sound ISN'T metal. If you're not comfortable calling them nu-metal, call them hard rock. The drumming isn't metal, the basslines aren't metal, and the guitar work is CERTAINLY not metal.