TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Bands ever back this up when they say

The title for Korn's next album could be Take a Look in the Mirror. 10 songs for the album are already complete and the album is due out in November.

"We're excited about this album," singer Jonathan Davis said backstage at the Ozzfest stop in Dallas. "We didn't try to overthink it. It's just down and dirty. It's aggressive Korn screaming again."

"It's going back to our roots," added drummer David Silveria. "More riff-based heavier rock, straightforward, less layered. Just ass-kicking metal."

Two tracks that will be on the album are the band's cover of Metallica's One as well as Did My Time which was on the Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life soundtrack.

The band plans to add four more tracks to the set.

Korn produced the new album themselves, hoping to turn back to their original sound and not the more polished one of 2002's Untouchables.

"What we need most from producers is to keep us motivated and offer outside opinions," Silveria said. "Now, I think that between our crew and sound engineer, who's with us in the studio all the time — they've known us for so many years — we look to them for their reaction half the time we're writing. We've done this long enough by now that we feel like we can do it and critique it ourselves."

"On the last record, [producer Michael Beinhorn] was very, very anal," Davis said. "He wanted everything perfect, and that's not making a rock band. You want some screw-ups and stuff. So [this time] we went in and didn't think — we just recorded it, and that was that. It was done."

Credit: MTV/411mania

Guest Choken One

Hearing "Did My Time"...Sounds like Un-Roots Korn...

Do we even WANT roots Korn? Just go ahead and Pull the trigger Davis...

Guest Shaved Bear

if they can make an album anywhere near as good s their debut ill be sorta happy

And I still remember Tom's "This is our punkest album yet" when he was talking about Blink 182's "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket"...which was in fact their popiest album to date

The closest thing to a band saying they were going back to their roots and actually going back was Green Day's follow up to Dookie. Except that album turned out to be darker than any other Green Day stuff before it if the Behind the Music special serves me right.

The closest thing to a band saying they were going back to their roots and actually going back was Green Day's follow up to Dookie. Except that album turned out to be darker than any other Green Day stuff before it if the Behind the Music special serves me right.

Was also my least favorite by then since they hit big

I don't see what the big deal about bands saying that this is going to be a return to their roots. Aren't they supposed to evolve over time? Shouldn't they be better now than they were in 1997?

Guest Choken One

Are you refering to Nimrod?

Insomniac. I really liked Dookie, Warning, and Nimrod

Guest Choken One
I don't see what the big deal about bands saying that this is going to be a return to their roots. Aren't they supposed to evolve over time? Shouldn't they be better now than they were in 1997?

Metallica evolved and people hated it.

People are always saying "GO BACK TO YOUR ROOTS" and they never do...know why...IT'S AN IMPOSSIBLE feat!

The logic that band that that started in 1993 will revert back to the same sound it had 10 years later greatly annoys me. It's a slap in the face because in theory just like in life we're supposed to mature and evolve and yet in Music terminolgy it's a great thing to market.

It's like Nostalgia but only not.

Promoting yourself to be "going to your roots" is contra-dictive as it tells your fans..."Hey...we're not going to attempt to grow up and evolve our music...we're just going play as 30 year olds like we did when we were 18 in our garage with no money and no issues to deal with other then angst"

I would consider it offensive if a band said that.

I liked the thinking Metallica had with "It was time for us evolve from what we were" problem is...They followed it with that crap that was Re-Load. (Black album WAS good but it gets that "sell out" tag because it sounded different...guess what IT SUPPOSED to sound different)

Then they told us "We're going old school" and what happens they didn't do it and wound up sounding like a mixture of Korn and The re-load album which isn't good.

Bands need to stop feeding everyone that "We're going back to our roots" crap and just mature as Songwriters and performers"

Going back to your roots has NEVER happened on a grand mainstream scale and it's really not that great of a marketing plan either.

I personally can't stand it when these nu-metal pesuedo Rock bands give the same old cliched lines "It's raw and aggresive and in your face" which is the biggest cliche in rock music...

Trust Me, Playing louder and with no organization in your music...doesn't make it raw.

Raw isn't a musical state..."RAW" is a buzzword for Record Companies to sell to teenagers to buy the same recycled album they brought 9 months ago.

So again...I implore all Musicians and Rock Bands to stop trying to promote your new album and singles as "back to our roots" and either be honest saying "It's the same deal" or at least fudge it up a little and say "We're going a different direction" or "We took this album to another level"...

No more "This album is (insert band name) at it's rawest most agressive and it's really us just going back to our roots, just playing and pounding it out with that anger and fire of old"...

i'm in total agreement with pretty much everything choken said. what's the point in going back to the same direction you took 10 years ago? was there something you missed the first time?

Guest Doyo

I don't remember Fieldy's bass being so up front in the mix on older Korn.

Neil Young released "Harvest Moon" twenty years after "Harvest" and it

was in many ways done in a similar style.

I've read that recent Def Leppard albums are more like their older style.

They tried a more alternative style for a while.

Another thing bands always say is that "this will be our heaviest album yet!"

Guest Sturgis

Yeah but here's were the problem lies:

When bands evolve(i.e. Meallica) people HATE IT and want them to sound like they used to.

When bands don't evlove people HATE THAT TOO.

Now lets put it together: Bands may not evlove or sound the same. Which leaves the question: What do people want? Answer: A middle, but THERE IS NO MIDDLE

Like that Simpsons ep. where they make Poochie. That scene where they panel everybody: replay that scene where Myres gets angry in your head and this is wht you get.

Guest El Satanico

Megadeth is an example of someone who didn't change enough. They never really evolved and they just got shitty.

::changes his cd from Maiden Favorites Volume Two to Volume Three and sighs happily as Wasted Years starts up::

Now then...

As I have said before, Metallica got the backlash because they changed too much, too soon. They can no more go back to their roots than I can relive my life from age 18 forward (no matter how much I might wish I could sometimes). They are all over 40 with families, plenty of money in the bank, and hailed around the world. I said the same thing with Megadeth. As soon as Mustaine got off the heroin and got married and had a couple of kids, he couldn't write the same angry, snarly kind of metal anymore with any kind of consistency.

As you get older, you change, internally and externally. Your perspective changes. I run into that a lot on this board, as the average poster is just reaching 20 years of age, and I think I'm one of the oldest here, nearing 35. (It still feels weird to type and or say that at times). A lot of things that have some posters in a tizzy I just look at it and think, "Dude, you're not even 20 yet. This isn;t going to kill you." I have a female friend who is 17 and she thinks her life is over. I keep telling her that its just beginning.

I agree with Choken on 99% of what he says. Very few bands can go all the way back to what put them on the map and re-create that magic. Its almost impossible, because of everything that the members have gone through over the years...

I think the closest band that hasn't deviated too much is Slayer. I remember seeing them on Jay Moore's short-lived show, and although they've gotten older, they haven't changed very much. Maiden I think could easily go back to what got them to the top in a musical sense, they just have to get rid of Janick to do so.

By the way redbaron, what did Maiden play in their set?

::still grumbles about not being able to go last night::

Insomniac. I really liked Dookie, Warning, and Nimrod

I didn't really like Nimrod. Most of the songs felt like filler.

Dookie was one of those albums where everything on it felt like a great song. Nothing on that album felt like filler.

Am I an oddity? The guy that likes ALL Metallica...pre-Black Album and post? Do people like me even exist!?

Anyways Korn says that before EVERY SINGLE DAMN ALBUM.

See Korn's got it all figured out. They release a CD tour and then just totally dissapear. Completely off of the radar screen. Then when everyone's almost forgotten them and thinks that they are gone they pop up and release a new album. And you know what everyone does!? They go into a tizzy "KORN'S COMING BACK!" and everyone's going crazy that Korn is back. Oh and it's always "KORN IS BACK AND THEY'RE RELEASING AN ALBUM THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE FIRST ONE!"

Guess what Einsteins!? Korn didn't go anywhere! They did this so you would have that exact reaction. They intended for it to happen. You fell right into there plan.

However I will get this album if not for there cover of "One" as I really like that song and I thought that Korn did an excellent job covering it.

Oh and I like David Dramian's viewpoint. He said something like "I don't write music for record sales(even though they all do), I write what I feel like writing. If I wanted to just sell records the second CD would sound like the first."

Now while BS b/c all bands are here to sell records he does basically say "Disturbed will write what they feel and it may not sound the same but get over it."

Excellent points there...although it all comes back to the same argument about whether or not musicians are simply in it for the money or if they truly do have a passion for the music. Even shitty bands such as The All-American Rejects have claimed that they're in it for the girls alone. Kid Rock's claimed it, Motley Crue lived it, there's no denying that there is no such thing as "musical integrity" anymore. But Dramain is right...if he wanted to sell records, the second album should have sounded a lot like the first. But musically speaking, the second album was superior...I mean, the man sings a ballad, for crying out loud.

Bands always go back to their roots. To them, their roots are when they were struggling to make it, hungry for money. When you're hungry for money, you put out contemporary shit that the public eats up. So Korn is going back to their roots...they're putting out contemporary shit that the public eats up because Jon Davis needs a new car or some petty shit like that.

Actually, Damaramu, you're not an oddity about the Metallica stuff. (I'm actually MORE fond of the Black Album-forward stuff, which is strange.)

The whole thing of "fans wanting a band to go back to the roots" is a load of crap. Why? Because when a band actually does that to cater to the most vocal, hostile group of fans..those fans wind up hating it anyway.

I've read that recent Def Leppard albums are more like their older style.

They tried a more alternative style for a while.

Actually Def Leppard nowadays just released an album with almost literally 11 ballads and one or two rockers.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I for one thought that everything choken said was fucking retarded. When you convincingly put out a really terrible album under the guise of "evolving your sound" when it really just goes to shit, then it IS time to go back to what works.

However, uttering the roots phrase is a sure bet that a band is showing weakness, since they're obviously not satisfied with whatever they just released. The other side of this is that they're trying to fix whatever went horribly horribly wrong. No one's capable of that, though.

I certainly don't think that bands have to maintain the same sound throughout their careers. Hell, Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands, and they evolved more than just about anyone. To mask getting old and lazy with the "evolving" moniker is silly.

Edited by Agent of Oblivion

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I think the closest band that hasn't deviated too much is Slayer. I remember seeing them on Jay Moore's short-lived show, and although they've gotten older, they haven't changed very much...

I wouldn't say that at all. Listen to something relatively early, like Hell Awaits or Show no Mercy, and compare that to the sound on Diabolus in Musica, and God Hates us All. Completely different animals. They've really fallen away from speedy thrash in favor of toughness and crunch. I can deal with that though. It's still good heavy shit, besides..Kerry King's gettin' old and shit. Hanneman might be getting arthritis or something. They don't need to rip out blistering triplets all the time now, although they still can, which was evident after seeing them live.

Maiden I think could easily go back to what got them to the top in a musical sense, they just have to get rid of Janick to do so.

By the way redbaron, what did Maiden play in their set?

::still grumbles about not being able to go last night::

no way man, Janick is an amazing guitarist, and brings a great stage pressence to the stage, and he is an amazing guitarist.

Their set list in no order was:

Number of the Beast

The Trooper

The Clairvoiant

The Clansman

Run to the Hills

The Wickerman

Die With Your Boots On

Revelations

2 Minutes to Midnight

Hallowed Be Thy Name

Iron Maiden

Wildest Dreams

Man On The Edge

Fear of the Dark

I think I might be forgetting something

Am I an oddity? The guy that likes ALL Metallica...pre-Black Album and post? Do people like me even exist!?

Anyways Korn says that before EVERY SINGLE DAMN ALBUM.

See Korn's got it all figured out. They release a CD tour and then just totally dissapear. Completely off of the radar screen. Then when everyone's almost forgotten them and thinks that they are gone they pop up and release a new album. And you know what everyone does!? They go into a tizzy "KORN'S COMING BACK!" and everyone's going crazy that Korn is back. Oh and it's always "KORN IS BACK AND THEY'RE RELEASING AN ALBUM THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE FIRST ONE!"

Guess what Einsteins!? Korn didn't go anywhere! They did this so you would have that exact reaction. They intended for it to happen. You fell right into there plan.

However I will get this album if not for there cover of "One" as I really like that song and I thought that Korn did an excellent job covering it.

Oh and I like David Dramian's viewpoint. He said something like "I don't write music for record sales(even though they all do), I write what I feel like writing. If I wanted to just sell records the second CD would sound like the first."

Now while BS b/c all bands are here to sell records he does basically say "Disturbed will write what they feel and it may not sound the same but get over it."

I love Load and Reload, but I'm really starting to hate St. Anger.

I will give Disturbed this much. Their second album really improved on some of the faults of the first album (repetitive lyrics, filler songs) I like "Believe" more than I do "The Sickness"

As me and Choken have said: Disturbed is, EASILY, the best nu-metal act, and will always be. They hopefully have enough staying power to last another few years. The second album sounds different than the first, but has enough of the same qualities to to be called a Disturbed album.

For once, I'd like to see a band saying they're going "back to their roots," and actually DO IT. And I don't mean completely musically. I mean do the "Tom Hanks method of acting," but apply it to making music. Much how Hanks would literally LIVE his role leading to filming the movie, the band should go back and live how they used to when they were still "edgy," "aggressive," and "heavy." I'd like to see James, Lars, Kirk, and Rob all go share a 1-bedroom apartment in a bad section of a city, cut themselves off from their lives for a few months, and then record an album. Guaranteed it'd sound more like Kill 'Em All than it would Load.

I believe Agent will agree with me when I say that Slayer has evolved PERFECTLY. They can no longer play the fast, balls-out music they could 20 years ago. And? They've adapted to play a little slower, but keep a similar amount of heaviness. Tom and Kerry are still pissed off, Jeff still loves drinking, and whatever drummer they have this month still knows how to blast that double-bass when it's needed.

Megadeth, I think, came the closest to "going back to their roots" with The World Needs A Hero. The album was faster and heavier than the 3 preceding albums, and sounded as if it were a bridge between Rust In Peace and Countdown To Extinction...minus "MotoPsycho," which is a good riff, but awful lyrics. But hey, nobody's perfect, especially ex-heroin addicts that used to have a drinking problem.

Guest Choken One

Laz...What exactly makes Disturbed NU-Metal and not just Metal?

Is it the Popular radio play or the Ballads? Or the sound itself

Because when I think Nu-Metal I think Saliva, Korn and all those other bands...

Disturbed doesn't fit in those...