TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

The Redskins are worth $1 Billion..

The Washington Redskins likely will receive an estimated franchise value of about $1 billion by Forbes Magazine when its annual financial ranking of NFL teams hits newsstands late next week, industry sources said.

Forbes' closely watched rankings corroborate a report from industry publication SportsBusiness Journal, which cites financial sources valuing all of the Redskins' holdings, including FedEx Field, at up to $1.5 billion.

The Redskins' numbers are easily the highest in U.S. sports history, and substantially beat the $800 million owner Daniel Snyder paid for the holdings more than four years ago. The Redskins have been the most valuable sports team in America since 2000, according to Forbes.

Damn. No one is going to be able to afford to make an offer to Dan Snyder to buy the team, which means the George Steinbrenner wannabe will be around for a while and the Redskins will continue to suck..

EDIT: I may have put too many 9's at the end behind the decimal, but it actually works that way better, they aren't even worth 1/1000th of a cent right now.

Guest Choken One

well...Yeah...

I'm shocked Mike Brown even HAD some class when he named it Paul Brown Stadium.

The profits must come from the stadium and the name sponsorship.

They're worth an extra half billion if you throw Fed Ex Field in to the equation...

To think Snyder ONLY paid 800 million for everything, hes doubled his initial investment in 5 years..

SELL DAN! SELL! PLEASE?

Guest El Satanico

So Snyder finally spends money on good FA's instead of washed up name players...and he still gets bitched about?

bizarrity says I

True Snyder was an idiot his first few years, but he has made good moves this year. He filled holes with talented FAs that have a future, so what's the problem.

Mikey turns his profit on revenue sharing and TV deals, I think a 2001 report said Bengals were the 12th! most profitable franchise in the NFL.

He doesn't do the name change in the stadium because he:

1. knows without his dad's name he'd be too fucking stupid to be running a football team and,

2. knows that fans (like me :( ) will buy season tickets no matter what. Therefore not needing the extra cash.

Redskins are a storied Franchise. I am sure teams like Cowboys/Packers/Steelers, are somewhat close. A few years ago this same thing was done, and Skins were at 800million while Cowboys were 500million.

Guest Choken One

And gets rid of Stephen Davis because mr. College can't think of a simple offense pattern known as "RUNNING the BALL"...

And gets rid of Stephen Davis because mr. College can't think of a simple offense pattern known as "RUNNING the BALL"...

how about getting rid of Stephen Davis because he would have had a salary of 10.5 million and he was unwilling to take a paycut. Or the fact that last couple years he has missed almost 5-6 games a season with nagging injuries. He was NEVER cut because, "spurrier doesn't know how to run the ball blah blah" Anyone who says that doesn't follow stats very closely.

Guest MD2020

how about getting rid of Stephen Davis because he would have had a salary of 10.5 million and he was unwilling to take a paycut. Or the fact that last couple years he has missed almost 5-6 games a season with nagging injuries. He was NEVER cut because, "spurrier doesn't know how to run the ball blah blah" Anyone who says that doesn't follow stats very closely.

Stats like the fact that the Redskins were 5-1 in games in which they ran more that they passed?

I cant wait for this weekend.

Ravens vs Redskins at Fed Ex

I want the Ravens to shut them out...that will get Snyder's blood boiling to be held scoreless in 2 of 3 games (Especially after all the offense they put up in last year's preseason..)

As for Snyder spending money, its not that you spend the money, but you spend it wisely.

The most obvious example being giving all that money to get Dieon Sanders who did absolutely nothing.

Guest El Satanico

Yes in his first few years he did spend money poorly, but he didn't this year.

If this was still the Snyder of two or three years ago, he would've gave Emmitt Smith a 4 year 12 million deal.

The only stats that matter in the release of Stephen Davis is the money he'd be making this year and refusing a pay cut.

Guest drdrainoscott

Yeah, Snyder can not be blamed for the problems the team has this year, but he most certainly is to blame for the problems the franchise has been dealing with the past five years or so. Ditching Brad Johnson for Jeff George, keeping Norv Turner three years too long, and letting team leaders such as Brian Mitchell, Trent Green, and James Thrash leave as just some of the dumb moves that he has made.

This year, though, the blame falls completly on Spurrier. I've been a Skins fan all my life and have been to probably over 50 games, including a Super Bowl, and I have to say that I have never been more pissed off after a game then I was after last weeks game against the Patriots. 14 penalties or whatever the number was is absurd. Luckily (or should I say unluckily thanks to Vick's injury), I have the Falcolns to watch every Sunday.

On a side note, is there anyone else that has season tickets to Redskins games and has the passes to the Tailgate Club? $40 to wait in line for 45 minutes to get a cold hot dog, cole slaw and a bottled water shows just why the Skins are a billion dollar team.

What pisses me off is that Snyder is often very impatient, yet he'll probably stick with Spurrier way to long. Granted that last year was predicted by everyone outside of Washington. But Spurrier should show that the team has improved this year over last, and quite frankly it looks as if the team could actually be worse.

There are a lot of die hard skins fans, and the more you hear them talk, it becomes clear that they are fed up with something, whether it be Spurrier, Snyder or something else. Im personally fed up with Snyder. Just as I can't stand the Yankees because of Steinbrenner, I can't stand the Redskins because of him, and its actually worse because in 5 years Snyder hasn't really done anything to justify trying to act like Steinbrenner.

Guest drdrainoscott

You are absolutly right. The team is definitly worse, which it pretty amazing considering it is basically the same offense out there, minus Stephen Davis, but plus two pro bowl caliber guards and a very talented WR. My opinion on the situation is that us die hards are fed up with Snyder, but more so in that he has hurt the franchise rather than hurt the team (does that make any sense?).

Like I wrote previously, Snyder's boneheaded moves have indeed pissed off the fans, but I believe he has made up for it by putting his money in some quality players (Armstead, Trottier, and Coles for example). However by making the moves that I mentioned previously, he has hurt the franchise. Getting rid of Brain Mitchell, who was one of the top five stars of the team for ten years, and then signing Deion Sanders to replace Darrell Green didn't just make the fans mad, but it hurt the history of one of the NFL's most prestigious franchises.

Washington fans were taught to expect quality product, and since Joe Gibbs left in 1992, there hasn't been a quality product on the field. I think I speak for all Washington fans, in fact I would almost bet money that I do, that since 1993, when Richie Pettibone took over for Gibbs, that fans began to expect to lose. The Gibbs era of expecting the team of converting that 4th and 1, or making that 40 yard field goal to send the game into overtime is a ten year old memory for fans. These days, we expect to have used up two of our times outs before the two minute warning, and we expect at least one missed field goal a game. Because of this, what was once the obsession of Washingtonians has become a joke around the city. Hell, most of the time, it is hard to give away tickets to co-workers, just because more often then not, the team is going to lose.

That is the mentality in Washington. We blame Snyder for not turning the franchise around, but we at least give him credit for effort. Spurrier, as of now, is to blame for putting on such a pathetic product on the field.

An interesting thing to look at, though, is the resentment that season ticket holders. When Fed Ex Field was built, season ticket holders were given the choice of 5, 7, or 10 year ticket deals. Most chose the 10 year deal because it was a set price and therefore it seemed like the smartest deal, especially since it seemed like the team would be on the rise. Most people regret buying the tickets now, and who could blame them. Besides the fact that the team is pathetic, parking and the roads are still a mess six years after the stadium was built, causing some to miss the 1st quarter every week. It is just rediculous.

Snyder one big fuck-up was 2000. He took over in 1999 with a playoff team and spent all this wasted money on over the hill free agents. Since then, I'd say he getting a lot more restraint. The free agent signings are players that will actually help the team.

The main problem with Snyder's tenure as Owner is that every year is virtually starting over with a new coach and new coordinators. This year brings the first year of continuity in about 6 years. Skins might not snatch a WildCard but they will definately better than last year, even if their record doesn't show it, because quite frankly the schedule this year is BRUTAL.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

The Skins will have a Championship in the next two years. Mark my words.

I'll tell you what hasn't helped much either.

The Browns moving to Baltimore in 1996 and winning the Super Bowl 5 years later. In 99 when the Redskins made the playoffs, the Ravens finished another 8-8 year. Since then, they've been as good, if not better than the Redskins ever since (Including winning the Super Bowl and Making the playoffs the final year, and finishing with an equal record of 7-9 last year, even though the Ravens were "supposed" to lose 12 games and the Redskins were "supposed" to win 12 games)

This year is even better because a lot of people in Baltimore expect the team, with Ray Lewis back, Terrell Suggs in the defense, and some decent upgrades at WR (not to mention the potential for Boller to start), to win the AFC North. Contrast that to the situation in Washington and its almost like night and day.

The funny thing is I live in Maryland, and I've always considered Baltimore to be my home team (and Im a big fat homer too), but up until 96, there was no football in Baltimore so the Washington Redskins were quite obvious. But now that the Ravens have been around, and I don't really like the direction that the Redskins franchise is headed in as a whole vs the Ravens, I decided at the end of last year to stop following the Redskins (although its pretty hard considering local media follows the Redskins a lot and the Redskins have been making a lot of moves that have gotten media attention). I suppose that suddenly dumping the Redskins after being a "lifelong" fan of the Redskins for about 12 years (I remember starting to watch football with my grandparents the year before they won SB 26..) sounds a bit bandwagony, but its not often that you are presented with the oppertunity to follow a new team thats closer to where you live, and after 7 years, I decided that I can't continue to follow 2 teams and be a total hardcore fan for both of them.

Im sure that there have been/will be others in the area who feel/or will start to feel the same way if things don't change with the Redskins.

Guest MD2020
The Skins will have a Championship in the next two years. Mark my words.

I'll see your promise, and raise it thusly: At the end of the next year's season (2004-2005), Spurrier will be back in Florida.

My prediction is that Spurrier is not the coach of the Redskins next season. He won't walk away from the absurd deal he got, but Snyder's willing to eat the money after another bad season, and I think that's what's going to happen. Interestingly, I absolutely despise the Redskins (mainly because Baltimore people, and the local media, used them as a crutch when the Colts left), but I like Spurrier. It's hard to root against him, but fuck that franchise. I hope they never have another winning season.

Marvin, who in their right mind predicted and/or thought the Redskins were "supposed" to win 12 games last year? Not including homer fans that are ALWAYS overly-optimistic?

Every analysist I hear said 8-8.

The Defense was supposed to be better with Trotter, Armstead and Marvin Lewis as the Def. Coordinator and they were supposed to put up 40 pts a game. I guess that was before they realized that they didn't have a QB and the defense was about as gelled together as Jello without the gelatin.