TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Acting as your own server

How would one do this? I'm not thinking of doing it since it would be a total pain in the ass and I'm a firm believer in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' deal. I'm comfortable w/ GeoCities.. Anyway, I'm just curious as to how it is done. Do you have to pay for the webspace...or what? Any info is appreciated.

You mean using your computer as a server? Most ISPs block Port 80 which is the default HTTP port.

Please be more specific on what you are trying to do.

I know in my case (using Adelphia) I'd have to pay them monthly for a business account in order to run off Port 80. I believe you'd also need to run a separate box using an appropriate OS for a server.

I know HVille Thugg runs his own server. I'll see if I can't shove him into this thread.

Guest Razor Roman

couldn't you set your web server software to run off of a different port (like 81) and then use a forwarding service like mydomain.com to forward a domain name (myserver.com) to your ip address, followed by :81. (like http://159.91.92.22:81)

but if you site gets a lot of traffic you won't be able to do much else with your broadband. If you have DSL, like me, it's probably asymetric meaning you get less upload speed than you get download speed, too, which means that the site won't load that fast for people.

You mean using your computer as a server? Most ISPs block Port 80 which is the default HTTP port.

Please be more specific on what you are trying to do.

I'm not really sure...I guess I don't know enough to get any more specific. hehe. Thanks, though! :lol: