TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Sell me on:

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Holy fuck, these guys are great.

Imagine if Black Sabbath and Kyuss got drunk with some dudes in West Virginia and Eastern PA, and recorded some material. That's Clutch.

Their whole sound pretty much revolves around bluesy stoner rock, thick heavy overdrive, single string picking, groovy slow bass, simple beats, and some of the coolest damn lyrics you'll ever hear. Stuff ranging from Thanksgiving dinner to making fun of posers, to monster trucks.

They're completely easygoing without being weak or soft, and are PERFECT to listen to while drinking, or getting baked, what have you..good party-oriented rock music.

Neil Fallon's voice is completely unique in a love it or hate it sort of way. Really gritty sounding.

They've got a decent amount of material out there, and are perpetually on tour with bands varying from Fudge Tunnel to Mastodon.

I'd rate Elephant Riders as their best album, with their self-titled, Transitional Speedway League, and Pure Rock Fury afterwards.

If you're after downloads, grab "The Elephant Riders," "Binge and Purge," "The Dragonfly," "Wishbone," "Spacegrass," and maybe "American Sleep."

I think AoO gave a pretty good description of their music. He listed some good songs there too. I also like "Big News I" and "Big News II", "Pure Rock Fury", and "Drink to the Dead', and "Careful With that Mic..." is a very different and unique song.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

...Don't listen to "Careful with that Mic" first. It was their radio single off of Pure Rock Fury, and while I find it amusing, I'd never call it good, and it doesn't sound ANYTHING like their other material.

Was Careful With That Mic really their radio single? I didnt realize that, what a bad idea. It's definitely not a song that you'd use to introduce people to Clutch, more like something once they've kind of gotten into them.

Other Clutch songs to DL:

"Animal Farm"

"El Jefe"

"A Shogun Named Marcus"

"I Have Discovered the Body of John Wilkes Booth"

"Eight Times Over Miss October"

If you want the heavier stuff, definitely go with "Animal Farm." It's agressive, fast, and angry.

"Escape from the Prison Planet" is another good track off of the self-titled album.

Guest The Old Me

I've only seen them once, up at PSU, and I was not impressed. That was about 4-5 years ago though.