TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just call me Dan

Austin/HBK 'Mania 14

Both men have had far worse matches, and that match had a lot of emotion, although not the greatest. I've always seen and heard them both talk very low of the match. Austin admits it was sorry, and even in HBK's DVD I think he mentions it as not a match he liked. What went wrong?

Guest Dynamite Kido

In all honesty I like the match and can personally say I never shat upon it.

I never saw it as crap. Okay, so it's not Bret vs. Bulldog but what is?

It's a miracle in itself that Michaels could work the match. Hell, a few weeks earlier on Raw he was given a cortezone (I believe) shot in the back after hitting a simple superkick on Ahmed Johnson while on the stage. He was in that much pain. Keeping that in mind, I think the bout came off well. The emotion was there, the crowd was hot, and the place exploded when Austin won.

Yeah, everyone knew Austin was winning the title but it was still amazing to watch it actually happen and I think Michaels gave him the best rub he possibly could that night.

i like the match, sure it's not amazing or anything but still pretty good. And watching Shawn REALLY in pain during the match was very emotional to watch, you knew he was really putting his last effort into it.

I think Michaels gave him the best rub he possibly could that night.

yep

Guest BAR

I've never shat on it. I've just never praised it, it's not much too rant about. It's a decent match.

What do you think thier reasoning for always dismissing it as such is? Shawn still bitter over his time being cut short would make sense, but I really can't understand the austin hate. Maybe he just didn't like Michaels.

Maybe he just didn't like Michaels.

They're pretty good friends from what I've heard, especially after watching HBK's RF shoot.

Austin and Michaels are just two guys that expect a lot out of themselves and when they don't deliver up to their expectations it irks them. That's all. And when it comes to being a top tier superstar, that's a great trait to have.

I just don't remember Austin taking a shit on his stuff from early 2001 or early 2002, he seemed like everything he was doing was fine, although he was really stinking it up in the ring. For some reason, they just keep stabbing at this match. I've got to get it on DVD if it ever comes out to get a more accurate view.

The reason I think both Michaels and Austin shit on the match is because if you think of the two men at their peak, the match should be one of the all time greats, especially considering its a Wrestlemania main event.

On top of this, both Austin and Michaels were nowhere near 100% for the match and both perhaps think that the occasion deserved them to be fit. But you cant blame them, both physically killed themselves for their matches.

I'd still rate it highly. It delivered emotionally and dramtically. It also launched Austin into history.

I liked the match. The only thing I didn't like was Tyson made a pretty fast count and the fact that he wasn't the ref made it kind of out of nowhere and anticlimatic.

But it was amazing that Shawn made it through that whole match. It wasn't a short match either. You could tell towards the end that Shawn just wanted it over with.

The injuries on both sides and the fact that everybody pretty much KNEW the ending (because of the circumstances) pretty much killed off that match's hopes of being a true classic.

Under a normal situation, that match would be considered spectular. I think it was great, but it really lost something, given outside factors.

I like Austin/HBK from Mania. People shit on it because Michaels wasn't at 100%, but I still thought it was a very solid Mania event with JR doing his typical overblown commentary that did help the match feel more special.

It's ****, solid.

Guest The Old Me

I happen to like the place as well. Shawn wasn't able to bump like a mad man but it served it's purpose none the less.

i really had a new respect for Shawn after that, especially after doing his top rope elbow on Austin, you could see when he was getting up for the SCM that he was really hurting and grabbing his back.

Guest The Real Nosferatu
I just don't remember Austin taking a shit on his stuff from early 2001 or early 2002, he seemed like everything he was doing was fine, although he was really stinking it up in the ring. For some reason, they just keep stabbing at this match. I've got to get it on DVD if it ever comes out to get a more accurate view.

Because by 2001-2002, he became shit in the ring because of his neck (and to some extent knee) injuries.

1998 he was putting on **** matches with most of the roster including a near 4-star w/ THE UNDERTAKER at Summerslam. I say it as a big thing because it was UT's last great match.

I was not impressed by that match on second viewing. It was markpout territory back in its day, but Taker did a WHOLE lot of standing ther with his hands on his hips. Taker these days could wrestle circles around his fat dead man persona of yesteryear.

Guest The Real Nosferatu
I was not impressed by that match on second viewing. It was markpout territory back in its day, but Taker did a WHOLE lot of standing ther with his hands on his hips. Taker these days could wrestle circles around his fat dead man persona of yesteryear.

What do u mean about UT standing around with his hands on his hips? Was he doing River Dance practice?

No after every move or anytime he has the offensive he stands there, huffing and puffing with his hands on his hips, looking bored. It completely takes any emotion or significance out of thematch. He's just going through the motions.

Guest Boo_Bradley

A lot of times the build is what makes the match...'

Alot of old matches I watch have this problem

Guest Trivia247

it was a great match for what the capabilities of HBK could do...

you could tell he was in agony during the match which made it painful to watch.

I just don't remember Austin taking a shit on his stuff from early 2001 or early 2002, he seemed like everything he was doing was fine, although he was really stinking it up in the ring.  For some reason, they just keep stabbing at this match.  I've got to get it on DVD if it ever comes out to get a more accurate view.

Because by 2001-2002, he became shit in the ring because of his neck (and to some extent knee) injuries.

1998 he was putting on **** matches with most of the roster including a near 4-star w/ THE UNDERTAKER at Summerslam. I say it as a big thing because it was UT's last great match.

He became shit in 2002, not 2001. And in 98, the only match in 98 he had that were at least 4* or better was against Foley at OTE(IMHO, obviously).

I think a lot that has to do with Summerslam 98 not being as good as it could of been with Taker/Austin is because Austin was legitally knocked out early in the match, and I don't think he really came to his senses back.

And since it was tremoundous buildup, they had a lot riding on it.

I think it could of hit ****, but it's about ***.

Guest RollingSambos

If you ever want a taste of what they COULD have done (if they were both healthy), watch their match from King of the Ring '97.

I agree that the match was a solid *** and amazing considering the condition of Shawn's back. When he poises himself for the flying elbow off the top, he closes his eyes and has this look on his face like, "This is gonna hurt..."

Guest godofdeadlydeath

Maybe it's because I was there in the flesh, but that match still gives me chills. Although it was pretty obvious Austin was going to win, they carried the match to make you believe that anything could've happened in the end. When Tyson ran in I nearly shit myself (like Sid), I mean I was only a 14 year old 8th grader at the time who had been a lifelong wrestling (mainly WWF) fan who had taken a year or 2 off in the REAL bad years (96-97, IMO) and that match was probably the greatest wrestling moment I've ever witnessed.

That and the 2002 Smackdown! where Hogan and Edge won the Tag Titles and Hogan came out to Real American because it was 4th of July. That was quite sweet.

I have the WM14 match on tape, but I don't think I've ever watched it. I'll have to check it out if I have more time.