TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Baseball Talk

I hate being in Dallas...but fuckin' a the Cubs are the NL Central Champs for the first time since I was four!! They clinch the title the same day Mark Grace announces his retirement.

Go Cubs! And this time, I think they have a good shot against the Braves...they just need to rest the starters for Tuesday, then go with Wood and Prior in Atlanta...or maybe Wood and Clement, then save Prior for Game 3, just in case they need a boost.

Time to crack open an Old Style, baby!

Well, look at it this way: for the "Cinderella" season to continue, they need to get out of the first round, and recent playoff history would suggest that they couldn't draw a better team to choke like dogs in the first round than the Braves...

I hate being in Dallas...but fuckin' a the Cubs are the NL Central Champs for the first time since I was four!!

You were only four years old in 1989? :ph34r:

Sonofabitch, you fuckers know how to make a guy feel old!

Well, look at it this way: for the "Cinderella" season to continue, they need to get out of the first round, and recent playoff history would suggest that they couldn't draw a better team to choke like dogs in the first round than the Braves...

What "recent history"?

Since 1995 the Braves have lost in round 1 twice- I would hardly consider that to be choking like a dog.

The Braves have better offence, better bullpen and I think their starting pitching can match up to the Cubbies. Braves in 4

Well, I see the playoffs going thusly:

Division Series:

Yankees in 5

Red Sox in 4

Braves in 4

Giants in 3

LCS:

Yankees in 7

Giants in 6

World Series:

Giants in 6

Above is my worst fuckin' nightmare. I don't think I could watch a baseball game ever again if I have to live through a Giants/Yankees World Series.

I'd give my own predictions but bias keeps me from doing it. Plus predictions are pointless after what happened last year which no one could have predicted.

Guest Bobby Cox is God

Bring on the Cubbies. I feel like we can take them, our offense is a whole lot better. Ortiz, Hampton, Maddux is very good, our bullpen hurts but we do have that Smoltz guy down there. So am I worried? Fuck no.

We'll take them in four.

What "recent history"?

Since 1995 the Braves have lost in round 1 twice- I would hardly consider that to be choking like a dog.

The Braves have better offence, better bullpen and I think their starting pitching can match up to the Cubbies. Braves in 4

Bob, that post could very well refer to the Braves/Cubs series in '98, where the Cubs fared badly.

Tigers scored 7 runs in the 7th and 8th innings to tie the game at 8, now in the 9th.

The White Sox walloped Kansas City, 19-3. Weird thing is that the Sox hit no home runs, while the Royals hit two.

Roy Halladay won his 22nd game, a new Blue Jays record.

What "recent history"?

The Braves have better offence, better bullpen and I think their starting pitching can match up to the Cubbies. Braves in 4.

Would it be safe to assume you no longer stand by this opinion?