TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

TNA fails to impress

Guest Choken One

Problem is...at least WWE gives you 8 FREE shows a month...TNA gives your 4 shows for 40 bucks. People whom been hesistant to order likely weren't impressed by ECW's twin.

TNA wanted us to "give them a chance" to show what they've got. This was NOT a "gift" from them to us, this was OUR gift to them. So let's not be mistakened here. THEY wanted us to watch, THEY put THEIR BEST to impress US. We *gave* them OUR TIME and OUR ATTENTION - so it's a lil bit more than "just a penny". We have a right to complain just as we have a right to complain about the "free" RAWs and Smackdowns (really, last weeks SMACKDOWN w/ Angle/Taker and Rey/Tajiri was pretty much well equal to the 0.01 PPV... if not better - that Tag Cage match would be disappointing if I hadn't expected to be disappointed)

I've seen one TNA ppv from about this time last year, I gave them a chance to impress and they didn't. They did a good job trying to familiarize consumers to their product (which is extremely important), but they didn't really do a good job to convince those consumers to buy the product. I don't get why they didn't do the show in Chronological Order, because when they were reviewing the feuds they overlapped and featured out-dated storylines. IMO they should have at least had Mike Tenay talk over parts of the clips explaining what they were about, rather than letting us, the viewer, try to fill in the blanks.

The Production wasn't good. This is where the WWE excells so it's hard to even come close - which they didn't. It looked amateurish. They should use different cameras or film or something. The X-division video package was just plain bad and they could have used that time profiling stand-outs in the division rather than just looping spots. The first time around they were impressive, the second time around they were just moves, the third time around it became annoying.

My main problem is that *I* could have done it better. That's my measuring stick. If I can do it better, I tend not to like it. I expect a promotion (or anything, really) to do a better job than I could - because after all, I don't do what they do. They are the professionals. They are the ones who want my time and my money.

...and Don West still sucks. WWWOOOOWWWW I've never seen ANYTHING like THAT before!!!!!! - Don West after a hiptoss... it's just insulting.

Just curious what you would have done then to make this show better overall, I always here this kind of response when something apparently sucks, yet no effort made to illustrate how.

I think what ruined it for me was the hype they put it on it. Supposedly we were supposed to see two MOTY candidates but I sure as hell didn't see them. The Ultimate X match had good spots but nothing extraordinary and the cage match was good but not the MOTY it had been hyped as.

The Tag cage match was DEFINITELY the MOTY it's been hyped to be. The problem is that it's not SUPER-GREAT-MAGNIFICENT-WATCH IT OR DIE, like so many other MOTYC's, but it's more of "hey, that's REALLY REALLY GOOD." Hence the ****1/2 rating instead of it being higher.

I said while watching the show this, and I quote: "Man, if I hadn't watched TNA before, I wouldn't want to watch." They made this big deal out of the X-Division, and showed some of the TAMEST spots. Now, you'd think they'd show some of the more "HOLY SHIT, HOW'D HE SURVIVE?!" spots, or just some of the cooler spots (almost all of which involve Kid Kash or Red, actually), but no. Just show clips that anybody ordering the show woud have already seen.

The bottom line is this: If TNA ever truly wants to compete with WWE or even be looked at as a competitor they have to first get off of ppv only and begin syndicating their show around the country to build an audience. Once they have built an audience they need to start running house shows in selected markets. Once they begin to draw and make money they need to build up to their Wrestlemania, or whatever they are going to call it. Around this time begin really selling your show to the cable companies and pray that you can get a good deal, or any deal. If you do get a deal push for a one time special that will begin your stay on the cable network. This was my big problem with ECW, as I feel if they would have kicked off their stay on TNN with a hugely promoted kick ass ppv caliber event they would have drawn a bigger fanbase from the begining. Go from there, run events in big arenas even if you have to give away tickets and have a cool setup. The dark lighting and indy feel probably turned off many potential ECW fans. Learn from ECW's mistakes.

Guest Mulatto Heat
The dark lighting and indy feel probably turned off many potential ECW fans.

I know it did for me.

Well I'm not really viewing TNA as a bush league ECWish Indy Promotion. Nor am I viewing it as a big time WWE promotion. I can't describe it...it reminds me of syndicated wrestling from back when. I think my mom put it best..."This looks like wrestling when I watched it..." *and she hasn't watched it since she was a kid*

What I also want to know is how come they only showed recent stuff? Like in the past 6 months? Why didn't they show anything before the new year? Or anything from the very beginning?

Guest Mindless_Aggression

I disagree with the cage match being the MOTY, don't get me wrong, great match but Benoit/Angle from the Rumble just kills it on every level except for the"He certainly did jump off something high" level.

If I was setting up the one cent show, I probably woulda just went the easy route and crammed it with X Division highlights. That may or may not have worked on your average fan but it couldn't have been any worse than that second hour was.

The bottom line is this: If TNA ever truly wants to compete with WWE or even be looked at as a competitor they have to first get off of ppv only and begin syndicating their show around the country to build an audience.

They already are syndicated. If you go to their website, you will find that they do put out a 1 hour show. You could almost call it their Heat or Velocity. It is in many markets. They show some matches and they also kind of recap what went on last week.

Guest Username

i expected more from this ppv. it was okay though, definitely worth checking out.

the ultimate x match is overrated. the ending was garbage and they botched at least 3,000 spots. those guys have potential though, give em a few years and they'll be awesome.

the triple x vs amw match was pretty enjoyable. i wouldn't say 'match of the year' but it was a pretty good watch.

the raven/new church crap angle was the wooooooorst i've ever seen...extremely corny...worse than kanes crap plus low budget quality and bad acting to top it off.

jeff jarrett is horrible too...boring...AJ Styles is awesome, now that kid has a future...

it was good to see sting again, too bad the match wasn't too good.

overall, it was okay...definitely worth a penny...bummer that this ppv didn't include jerry lynn, low ki, amazing red etc.

Was the old stuff really that bad that they couldn't show any of it? The stuff with Ron Killings, BG James, Ken Shamrock, and Jarrett on top?

Did they just have to show recent stuff?

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Ron Killings' title win, while not that great a match, was a good moment. His matches against the X Division guys (Lynn, Low Ki) were pretty good, I would have liked to have seen them on this PPV.

Guest TheGame2705
Was the old stuff really that bad that they couldn't show any of it? The stuff with Ron Killings, BG James, Ken Shamrock, and Jarrett on top?

Did they just have to show recent stuff?

Supposedly Shane Douglas would create more viewer interest.

Guest Dids

Watched the replay last night.

My thoughts.

I've dl-ed enough TNA matches to know that they've got good workers, so I don't understand why we had to watch so much of the bad ones. Shane Douglas is awful, and even if he wasn't- the matches were clipped so that we never saw him wrestle. Way too much on Raven and Shane.

The Ultimate X match was horrible. Whoever said that was more than ** is just wrong. Even the spots were ugly.

The Cage match didn't blow me away. Good- but not as earth shaking as I would have thought given the reviews I read.

For AJ Styles being as good as he is, and being the champion- he was really underexposed. And no Low-Ki or Red at all. If you're trying to market- a Spotfest like Red would be way better than Shane Douglas's gut.

I now understand all the complaints about the endings of the matches. That's some really stupid booking. Especially the Ult X match and the AJ/D-Lo.

Like somebody else mentioned in this thread- they really showed way too many of the WWE mid-card guys.

My friend last night mentioned something that gave me an idea how they should have worked things out between NWA and ROH for Raven's hair. Have Punk go over in the ROH match- and get shaved- then come out for the match with Shane bald- with a "I've got nothing to lose" attitude. I think it would work.

Too bad the stipulation wouldn't hold AT ALL then, seeing as how it'd be "I win, you shave your head; you win, nothing happens."

Oh, and Username, Chris Sabin already IS awesome. It's just the others in the X-Division right now that are...bleh. Remember when everybody used to say "the X-Division is the best thing in US wrestling right now"? Yeah. All of a year ago. I miss those days...

Guest Dids

I guess my point was that the stipulation wouldn't hold- but it shows that Raven just doesn't give a fuck- Shane get's shook- Raven kicks his ass and the nonsense is over.