TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

John Ritter is dead at 55

Guest Choken One

I was simply his role was the supporting role, where although it failed, his spot was replaceable...in terms of the show itself...ritter's character WAS the show...bill mcneal was part of a ensemble...

Phil Hartman was the biggest star on the show, and a big part of why the show worked. After his death, the show wasn't as good, and only lasted 1 more season, so I'd say he wasn't replacable. I can't think of anyone they could have brought in that would have had the same impact on the show that Hartman did.

Joe Rogan, despite being great in the role, was a supporting guy. Khandi Alexander had a supporting role. Phil Hartman was way more than just a supporting role.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Guest Choken One

Jesus Christ stop being such fucking hard head...OF COURSE hartman was the key to the show and why it worked so well but the show wasn't focused ON HIM.

Paul Hennesey was the main focus of 8 Simple Rules...

You are trying to defend Hartman for no reason...

Hartman was certainly in a supporting role. He just did his job better than everyone else.

Yes, Phil Hartman, the PERFORMER could not be replaced as he played an important part to the chemistry of the shows actors, but as a character, he could be taken out seeing as the show was written as a ensemble cast.

The fact that it didn't work is moot. And Although there wasn't a death, I think Spin City goes into the catagory of shows that lost the focal point of the show, and went on.

8 Simple rules was about Paul raising his kids. Spin City was about the day to day life of Mike. Newsradio was not about Bill and his life. It was about the station and Phil just gave a great perfomance.

Jesus Christ stop being such fucking hard head...OF COURSE hartman was the key to the show and why it worked so well

Then he obviously wasn't replaceable, like you've been claiming. That's all I've been trying to point out to you.

Yes, Phil Hartman, the PERFORMER could not be replaced as he played an important part to the chemistry of the shows actors, but as a character, he could be taken out seeing as the show was written as a ensemble cast.

But taking Phil Hartman the performer out is the same as taking the character out. The character of Bill McNeal was as important as the characters of Dave, Lisa, and Jimmy.

I don't understand how you can say Hartman couldn't be replaced, but the character could.

Guest Choken One

THE CHARACTER OF BILL MCNEAL WAS NOT THE MAIN PART OF THE SHOW!

Hartman was indeed the best part of the show but the premise of the show was not BILL MCNEAL. It was about ensamble that worked for a radio station...Hartman wasn't the focus of the show...such as Ritter was for 8 rules...

Hartman was A focus, not THE focus. I know he wasn't the main character, I'm not arguing that.

All I'm saying is that, even though he wasn't the main focus of the show, he still wasn't replaceable as you had originally mentioned.

Guest Choken One

His character was replaceable...even if he never died...His character STILL could have been written off...