TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpww7

Paul London to debut this Weekend

Dude, you made him sound like Billy Gunn.

Way to go.

LMAO. Except Spanky at least knew(and still can when given time in WWE) how to wrestle in ROH, which didn't make fans hate him in the "get the hell out of the building right now" way.

And Sean O'Haire would hopefully never advise Billy Gunn to streak...

Maybe this time Paul London will get the big break, maybe just maybe he could be perceived as a middleweight wrestler like Matt Hardy, Guerrero, Beniot and not as cruiserweight fodder for Big Show, Brock, A-Train, Bradshaw to squash.

Look at it this way. The first time I ever saw Shelton Benjamin, he was jobbing to Justin Credible in a Raw dark match. Now look where Benjamin is! Just because Paul London might lose his first few UNTELEVISED matches doeesn't mean anything!

On a side note, Brock Lesnar used to job to Lance Storm and others at house shows as well, so the WWE will probably just have Paul London pay some dues first.

Paying dues? in WWE? So that's how Goldberg, Steiner, Nash, Hogan etc all walked in to the company and main evented right away.

And yet Raven got screwed over. That's WWE for you, and that's why he left.

Paying dues? in WWE? So that's how Goldberg, Steiner, Nash, Hogan etc all walked in to the company and main evented right away.

With the exception of Nash, all three DID main-event right away.

But with the exception of Nash, all three were established WCW stars that WWE fans clamored for. (Goldberg and Steiner being the only two that were supposed to get an ME slot by contract)

Current workrate aside, I'm sure you can distinguish the difference between a developmental like London or Spanky and past headliners Steiner, Goldberg and Hogan. You capitalize on the drawing power of the established talent, while paving the road for the new crop of stars (Brock, Cena, Batista, Orton, etc.) Paul and Spanky have YEARS ahead of them.

It's foolish to say that an established star is REQUIRED to pay dues in a new company; Of course, I'm sure that Goldberg squashing jobbers on HEAT for a few months would've gone over with the crowds, right?

Here's a report of his debut last night.

We are welcomed by the "other" Smackdown ring announcer, whose name I forget, and a local radio personality.

Opening match: Rey Mysterio d. Tajiri

Great match. Lots of high spots but looks strangely like a match I saw Thursday. I was really afraid that this was going to peak the show early but the show was strong enough to hold its own.

Sean O'Haire & A-Train d. Spanky & Paul London

Spanky was wearing some sort of mask coming out but then gave it to an audience member. I haven't liked Albert since he started and now after seeing him live I can honestly say that I've been right the whole time. Anyway, O'Haire, Spanky, and London really delivered. Good power moves from O'Haire. London really has it going on. You could tell that he was putting more of himself into the match than anyone else in the ring. Probably still excited to be in WWE. London and Spanky make a great tag team lots of highspots. I just hope they don't make them a punching bag like Zach Gowen.

Guido, OOPS! Nunzio d. Funaki

Good match, Funaki always delivers, as well as Nunzio. They really shine live.

Billy Kidman & Noble w/ Nidia d. Basham Brothers w/ Shaniqua

If it wasn't for Nidia being so darn entertaining I may have had to leave. Honestly let the Bashams be a real team and send Shaniqua back to Tough Enough.

Eddie Guerrero d. Chris Benoit and John Cena

Match of the night. Great Cena rap before the match. Rhyno runs in at the end to squash Benoit with the spear. Goes for the spear on Guerrero but gets sent out of the ring. Eddie uses the belt and picks up the win. Always a pleasure to see any of those four guys in the ring.

Intermission = Shirts in a Gun

Matt Hardy w/ Shannon Moore d. Orlando Jordan

Not much crowd reaction here. Jordan is green and boring. Hardy cut a promo about his Mattitude and how it was born in the south but not Roanoke. NEXT!!

Bikini Contest. Funaki officiated. Torrie Wilson won. Big surprise

Kurt Angle d. Brock Lesnar

45 min. long match. Every imaginable highspot was performed. Practice for the Iron Man match I suppose. Angle did the missed moonsault spot, nice!! He gets Lesnar to tap like he promised to do before the match. Angle leaves the ring but Lesnar says he's not done and that it's an Iron Man match. The referee informs him that it is a one-fall match. Which ticks off Brock and he literally cries. (OOH what a MONSTER). Good match though.

Notes: Zach Gowen wasn't there. ... Albert was confronted by a local radio announcer on the ring apron which acted as a distraction. ... Crowd was really hot, but really small. Note from Scherer: There were about 3,000 in the building and about 2,200 paid. ... The Smackdown brand show was so so so much better than the Raw brand show. The guys seemed to take the ring work very seriously. ... I was kinda disappointed about Vince not running in to start the bikini match. Oh Well.

Dusty Wallace

Roanoke, Va

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Put it this way.

The answer to the following questions all have the same answer

-Who books the house shows

-who doesnt lke cruiserweights

-who is determined to get A-Train over

Answer..Jim Ross

But, But, But, But...

In his Ross Reports JR always made time to put over the cruiserweights! He really does love them!! WHY ELSE WOULD HE MENTION THEM!?!

Lip Service.

Seriously, Cruisers never do well at House Shows

well, Rey is over, and Tajiri, both both of them have been made to look like jobbers at the expense of Hosses, so I see your point.

My point about Ross hating Cruisers in general stands though

London faced Matt in his last Velocity match. I think that's the match you're thinking of

No, he's right. London wrestled Cena on Velocity once. He's made two appearances...one vs. Cena, the other vs. Matt.

I can't believe JR would just LIE like that.

Ever read his column in Raw magazine?

Its full of sanctimnious horseshit that panders to egos

I... I... I... I just can't believe it. JR is full of shit. And to think, I trusted this man as my Play-by-Play announcer for well over a decade. I don't think I'll ever look the same way at the WWE Announce team again.

RRR: Innocence lost.