TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Ten years ago today

I am not sure. Besides fighting games, it isn't as big as it used to be since I have sold off a lot of 16 bit and 32 bit era games I once owned.

I have SNES, N64, Genesis/32X, DC, Saturn, PSX, two PS2s, GC and Xbox all hooked up in one room though.

To one TV? I noticed when you have too many systems hooked up to one TV, the picture is kinda crappy as long as it is hooked up.

I'm kinda confused, Andrew. What exactly do you mean when you say "No, Kang was in back in the original MK3."

Sakura was just saying that fatalities sucked for the new characters introduced in UMK3 and MKT. Lui Kang wasn't introduced in either of those--he was in the original version of MK3, and his fatalities still sucked.

Guest Askewniverse
I'm kinda confused, Andrew. What exactly do you mean when you say "No, Kang was in back in the original MK3."

Sakura was just saying that fatalities sucked for the new characters introduced in UMK3 and MKT. Lui Kang wasn't introduced in either of those--he was in the original version of MK3, and his fatalities still sucked.

Thanks for clearing that up, Andrew. I knew that Kang wasn't introduced in UMK3 or MKT. I just forgot about the "new characters introduced" part when I was trying to think of crappy fatalities from MK Trilogy.

Shit...I just realized that I may have sounded like an ass in that post. It was supposed to be in good nature. I guess that I should have added this :P.

It's all good

And on the subject of Mortal Kombat, I bought Mortal Kombat for the Sega Genesis today from GameCrazy. :D

Sorry to bump this old thread, but now it's been eleven years since "Mortal Monday". I figure with Acclaim's recent bankruptcy, we should take this time to pay respects to their greatest commercial peak.

*plays world's smallest violin*

I thought really old threads like this would have been deleted automatically...

In celebration of Mortal Monday...I ordered SFII: Special Champion Edition for Genesis. I'll be playing Hyper SFII later today. Screw MK.

I actually ordered SCE before I saw this...funny coincidence.

Acclaim did nothing but release Mortal Kombat, if memory serves me correctly. Midway could have gone through just about anyone else and still achieved an identical level of success.

I'm afraid I side with Andrew on the 'SF or MK' debate.

UYI

Acclaim was responsible for the marketing, so "Mortal Monday" and all the hype is something they should get credit for.

The only thing I remember about MK1 for the SNES was the lamening of it...

Thankfully they rectified it a year later with MK2 (even though I needed mom to rent it, damn ratings system *shakes fist*)

Acclaim was responsible for the marketing, so "Mortal Monday" and all the hype is something they should get credit for.

Sure, but...really, what did they need to really do? Announce a release date and people screaming MORTAL KOOOMBAT!! I guess you could argue that it's genius in its simplicity...

However, few can deny Acclaim's best work involving them simply publishing other peoples' games.

I'm afraid I side with Andrew on the 'SF or MK' debate.

UYI

Sadly, 10 years ago people actually seriously debated that...

Okay, MKII I could see some people preferring, but MK1 was just eeech. MKII had a lot going for it, but MKI just totally screamed "living off a gimmick" to me. Plus the Sega version was BUTT ugly, and the SNES version was like having your controller dunked in molasses. I guess it was because the arcade game was very different from all the SF clones at the time, and it was arguably the best of its kind, so it survived and thrived.

It was very rare for anyone to actually do digitized graphics right. MKII was still rather stiff, but NBA Jam, Wrestlemania Arcade, etc--they soon got it down perfectly. As much as I loathe MK3, I think it felt very smooth and natural compared to the earlier titles.

....incidentally, Acclaim published the home versions of Street Fighter: The Movie (which sucked, but was better than the arcade game). That seems sick and wrong, for some reason, but at the same time oddly appropriate. Hell, they should have just gone all the way and let you use Kylie Minogue to Thrust Kick Jean Claude Van Damme's head off.

....and the home versions of SF: TM were still better than MK1.

Strangely, at around the same time Acclaim published the American versions of X-Men: Children of the Atom for home consoles.

I always liked the MK ads. The whole "prepare yourself" slogan was cool.

In the Buffy ep "A New Man" you can see my favorite character holding a comic book with the ad on the back. This is in fact the coolest moment in the history of mankind.

Acclaim published X-Men:COTA in America because Capcom was going through big finacial problems at the time. The PSX port is awful. It's one example where "omg it's missing frames~!" isn't just overblown hype.

The arcade version of SF:TM is kinda cool, at least in novelty way. I liked it more than the home one. You gotta love the palatte swap ninja characters that were hidden.

MK is better than Street Fighter.

I always liked the MK ads. The whole "prepare yourself" slogan was cool.

Wasn't that MKII, actually?

I liked those, too.

Acclaim published X-Men:COTA in America because Capcom was going through big finacial problems at the time. The PSX port is awful. It's one example where "omg it's missing frames~!" isn't just overblown hype.

Actually, the Saturn version isn't really all that hot either. It's also missing a ton of frames and it's very noticeable. Sure, Nightwarriors ain't perfect but it's still really good animation. I think the Saturn one supposedly only has about 40% of the animation hacked out instead of 60%. :P (Although I'm actually curious just how much was hacked out of each). Still, CotA was crap and MSH was a LOT better, so no biggie.

When was it overblown hype? I remember hearing somebody in Gamefan complain about "blue shadows" in some version of some Saturn game, but I have no idea what that was about.

Although I'm glad the RAM cart came out, thus allowing the awesome version of Vampire Savior for Saturn.

The PSX Marvel Super Heroes and vs. games blow huge loads of ass as well. I think they're far worse than CotA, which I felt was at least playable.

The arcade version of SF:TM is kinda cool, at least in novelty way. I liked it more than the home one. You gotta love the palatte swap ninja characters that were hidden.

*You would* like that bastard child of MK and SFII. :P At least the home version was like a mildly retarded, muddy-feeling version of Super Turbo...without the Turbo, and without good music...and...

MK is better than Street Fighter.

You and Slayer are right about that. Thank God SFII is so damn good.

MK was better than SF for the simple reason that you could never rip off Ryu's head and hold it up high

Actually, Sheng Long does that. He's in Hyper SFII. :P

MK's slogan was "Prepare yourself". MK II was "Nothing, nothing can prepare you for this!"

By overblown hype I mean the tendancy for hardcore fans to declare a game "ruined" if it's just slightly not as good as the arcade or another version. Like often Saturn has the best ports with PSX being downgraded. In some cases it's a big deal, like the Marvel games. But in others like the Alpha games it's not really a huge issue. There's nothing wrong with playing the PSX port of Alpha 3. Yet you'll still see people whine and moan about it being totally worthless. SNK fans are the worst at this.

MK's slogan was "Prepare yourself". MK II was "Nothing, nothing can prepare you for this!"

Which never made much sense, because if you played the arcade games, you'd be prepared for the home versions... *shrug*

By overblown hype I mean the tendancy for hardcore fans to declare a game "ruined" if it's just slightly not as good as the arcade or another version. Like often Saturn has the best ports with PSX being downgraded. In some cases it's a big deal, like the Marvel games. But in others like the Alpha games it's not really a huge issue. There's nothing wrong with playing the PSX port of Alpha 3.

Other than it still being Alpha 3.

Yet you'll still see people whine and moan about it being totally worthless. SNK fans are the worst at this.

They *are* used to perfect home ports, though. Although these days they should have every right to expect it--save minor gripes like blood/guns (and if it's that big a deal, SNK fans have the money to throw around for a modded PS2/X-Box).

However, I don't know what they expected with Sam Sho on 16-bit. It's a shame that when the mainstream consoles were good enough to handle arcade 2D fighter ports, it was too late to get SamSho II for a non-Neo system.

Just because you've got the arcade or an arcade perfect port doesn't mean other versions are just RUINED~!

I've got a MVS and I still play stuff like Garou on DC.

Since I can only play MotW on DC, never played the arcade version, and know little about Neo hardware, it's just fine for me.

However, noticing differences is understandable. Plus, Alpha 3's home versions had so many extras and bonuses that the arcade didn't, I don't see any cause for concern except for the game itself.

Oh, played MKGold...man, this thing is balls. It's like MK3, except there's weapons and blocky characters. Squint and it's pretty much like every MK game that preceeded it.

Thankfully they got around to Deadly Alliance, because holy hell they were in a rut.

Noticing differences is fine. I like doing it. But there's a difference between that and freaking out that something is just unplayable. It's not just SFA3 either. The other Alphas are good on PSX. So are the two SF Collections. Darkstalkers 3 is pretty good.

You have just now played MK4(well, a version of it)?

It's not exactly like MK3 with weapons. They added a sidestep and took away the character specific chain combos.

Noticing differences is fine. I like doing it. But there's a difference between that and freaking out that something is just unplayable. It's not just SFA3 either. The other Alphas are good on PSX. So are the two SF Collections. Darkstalkers 3 is pretty good.

Darkstalkers 3 thankfully had a lot of extras--but after renting the PS version I was displeased and exercised my option to get the bitchin' Import Version, complete with English Language option. I didn't whine "Capcom sucks!" for not being able to do the nigh-impossible.

Playstation Darkstalkers is fine if you never play against the bosses, but Nightwarriors completely tops it, even having the old music from DS. So, again, good port...but the slowdown against the bosses is pretty nasty. Plus, it makes fighting the bosses a lot easier, which depending on your viewpoint, may be a good or bad thing.

The Saturn controllers were also a big incentive for non-joystick folks. Although my other Program Pad is on the way and I'm picking up one of the SFAC controllers tomorrow.

You have just now played MK4(well, a version of it)?

It's not exactly like MK3 with weapons. They added a sidestep and took away the character specific chain combos.

No. I'd played MK4 a long time ago on the PSX and wasn't impressed. However, I'd gotten the DC one for practically nothing and it just kinda sat around collecting dust. Then once in a while I pull it out and play it. Then I remember why I hate it again. It's just like when I had Xenogears until I unloaded it on some sucker.

I said "like," though. Still not a big incentive since you know how much I *adore* MK3 and its upgrades.

It's very funny that MKGold was released on a console...and needed a revision.

I don't care about DS enough to get any of the imports. I got DS on PSX, NW on Saturn and DS3 on PSX.

Besides slowdown the thing that bugged me about DS1 on PSX was that it came out after NW on Saturn. WTF? That was so dumb...

Even the second version of MK Gold is still glitchy. All of the Midway DC launch games had to get new versions.

wow, I remember the ads from wwf magazine in the summer of 93, I had never played it. then I went to an arcade and was amazed. I only had a nes at the time so I couldnt get it. My cousin rented it alot for his snes so I played it. I finally got a genesis for xmas 95 (pretty dumb considering the ps came out that year-but I didnt know about it much) and the next year I rented the original mk for genesis, but didnt know anything about the blood code. I did beat the one player game though point is I didn't play mk games as much as I would have liked. and I could never figure out the fatalities to this day. anytime I am in an arcade and it has a mk game Ill mostly likely play it, even if I never mastered it. well that game and if any place still has the simpsons arcade game and the original TMNT (ninja turtles) arcade game. these games rule

wow and parents went crazy over this? I can't imagine todays parents reacting to gta or even your basic shooter game. hell even goldeneye for n64 is way more violent than any game I had seen to that point

my parents were never this mean, then again I had a nes and gameboy for most of my childhood. But even so they woudnt mind cuz I had seen worse on tv.

now, Im 21 so It doesn't matter

Guest curry_man2002

The first mk game i had was number 3 but i brought that by accident because i wanted the trilogy version anyways it had a nifty feature in that once you completed the game you could watch all the fatality combos performed. For any one curious this was on the megadrive

Anyanka--some one on Shoryuken said that the GH version of Trilogy (PSX) was a revised version. That true? I know for damn sure the version I played would freeze up nearly every damn time I played it.

Hire some damn testers, Midway.