TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silence

Are there any good metal bands anymore?

It seems as if within the past few years, good heavy metal has seemingly died out and lame rap-metal and nu-metal acts like Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Saliva, Nickelback, Neurotica, Drowning Pool (now a defunct band due to lead singer Dave Williams' death last year), etc. have all stunk up the music scene and have turned metal into a joke to some people now. It doesn't help that Metallica has sucked throughout the 90's through today (along with being a group of corporate ass-kissers to people trying to stop music-sharing on the Internet), Megadeth is no longer a band, and Slayer hasn't even been heard of for a while.

With that said, are there actually any good metal bands out there that haven't sold out yet, even with today's unfortunate nu-/rap-metal scene?

Guest Choken One

If you been around you know about Shadows Fall.

You will NOT find it watching mtv and listeing to the radio...

Countless great bands, you aren't looking in the right places...

Well, I hope you're in for a proverbial Noah's Ark style deluge of posts.

Well, here's some of my favorite metal bands.

The Project Hate MCMXCIX - The only metal band that really successfully blends elements of techno and death metal together to form one cohesive gelling of awesomeness. Not many people have heard of them, but those who have (myself included) will vouch for them and say that they motherfucking shred. Ultra-heavy, and hard to get used to at first, but once you do, you will not regret it. Jorgen (the bassist from Entombed) & Jo Enckells kill all with their vocals, and Mazza/Kenth nail down some crushing riffs. Check them out. Their new album is fan-fucking-tastic.

Download Recommendations: "Nailed", "Dominate", "I Smell Like Jesus Dead", "Hate Incarnate", "Christianity Delete"

Strapping Young Lad - Devin Townsend is a musical genius. I could leave it at, but I won't. SYL play some sort of weird hybrid of death metal and thrash metal. The lyrics are very lighthearted and humorous at certain times, and other times, they're very, very brutal. Quite simply, SYL will tear your fucking head off, sew it back on, and tear it off again for shits, giggles, and pisses.

Download Recommendations: "Far Beyond Metal", "Relentless", "Rape Song", "Oh My Fucking God", "Detox"

Zyklon - Ho-lee-shit. Know how I said that the previous two bands were heavy as...a really heavy thing? Well, these guys might just be even heavier. Combining equal elements of Black Metal pioneers Emperor and neo-death metal shredders Myrkskog, Zyklon kills you all with hate in their heart, and blood on their hands. The Norwegian foursome combines black & death metal to create a very unique sound that is as experimental as it is brutal. They even enlist help from Arcturus singer Garm to guest on a few tracks. Really, really good stuff. Our very own Red Hot Thumbtack in the Eye will vouch for me.

Download Recommendations: "Psyklon Aeon", "Hammer Revelations", "Chaos Deathcult", and "Storm Detonation"

Well, I'm spent. Hard coming up with so many ways to say pretty much the same thing....that all three of these bands rule with an iron fist.... :headbang:

I'd say go with the old power metal.

Iron Maiden new CD is damn well good, despite bad cover.

Shadows Fall is well great

and if straight heavy metal, I recommend Black Label Society, and The Blessed Hellride is a great album

Guest El Satanico

Well that's different than MTV and everyone doesn't get it.

Besides if he got M2, he wouldn't be spouting off bands who haven't been heard of lately.

nu-metal acts like Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Saliva, Nickelback

Say WHAT?

Anyway, metal...

Nevermore, Iron Maiden, Iced Earth off the top of my head.

Anthrax's latest CD was pretty good too.

But in any event, I nominate going to Darklyrics.com, randomly picking band names that look interesting, and downloading tracks.

Guest El Satanico

Really, what is with the original poster including Nickleback? They never claimed or tried to be metal or "nu-metal". They were just forgettable pop rock.

Guest Choken One

I like Nickelback in that Unoffensive Def Leppard sense...They don't say they rule the earth...they just want to have fun...and that's the real purpose of music isn't...but yeah the Jerry Lynn look alike scares me...

Really, what is with the original poster including Nickleback? They never claimed or tried to be metal or "nu-metal". They were just forgettable pop rock.

ya, but your not from Canada, and have to suffer hearing them all the time

Guest El Satanico

I for one consider Def Leppard offensive. However, I was never much of a hair metal fan so what do I know.

I can find better bands to use for the purpose Def Leppard serves.

I don't know. They get played a lot here in Houston. Atleast whenever I turn on the radio, but maybe that's because they have a new song out.

Guest Choken One

I don't know. They get played a lot here in Houston. Atleast whenever I turn on the radio, but maybe that's because they have a new song out.

Here in America we suffer with Good Charlotte...

Good Charlotte calling themselfs PUNK is more offensive then Nickelback calling themself ROCK.

Chad Kroger is smart, he knows his market is Middle Aged Females whom are fed up with their kids listening to Spears, Nsync and "That Rap stuff" and Nickelback is a quiet yet solid throwback to the days of the hair bands of the 80's but are MODERN so they don't need to feel old by turning to the oldies which is now loaded with Poison, Crue, Jovi and the bunch...

I second Strapping Young Lad, Shadows Fall, Black Label Society and Project Hate. I enjoy The Haunted, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Lacuna Coil, Meshuggah, Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage as well. Though that's nothing to say of those who are more established (Opeth, My Dying Bride, Nevermore).

I recommend:

Sepultura

Acid Bath

Stuck Mojo (fuck you, they're metal)

Helloween (cheesily hilarious power metal)

Fear Factory (pre-Digimortal)

Slayer (wow, all these posts and no Slayer)

Beyond The Embrace

Inheritance (I have their website somewhere, my friends' band, AWESOME)

Type O Negative (ALL THESE POSTS AN NO TYPE O?!)

Guest El Satanico

Well the original poster mentioned Slayer.

And Helloween...oi...awful horrible stuff...take it awaaay

If your looking for hilarious power-metal, you can't get any better than Stratovarius. I'm suprised no one's mentioned In Flames yet.

My unique choice is Sentenced. They're very melodic, hard, and depressing. They have a wonderful sense of Finnish humor.

Stratovarius is SO FUCKING PANSY MCGAY. Sorry for being politically incorrect, but Jesus Christ. They put DOLPHINS on their album cover. Faggotry, to quote THE GOON.

Look at this shit:

B00004IC9H.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Manowar is a manly man's gay power metal.

The first song on the album..."hunting high and low"...dolphins on the cover.

They are a bunch of crazy Finnish dolphin hunters~! Nothings more metal than hunting smart aquatic mammals~!

Helloween's 'The Dark Ride' is a fuckin good album as the band experimented with a more darker tone with tuned down guitars. Ofcourse, they've gone back to their happy happy helloween style, but it was a good moment nevertheless.

And as for Manowar...

"We alone a fighting

For metal that is true,

We own the right

To live the fight,

We're here for all you!

So swear the blood upon your steel,

Will never dry.

Stand and fight together,

BENEATH THE METAL SKY!"