TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Flik

SquareEnix's Been Busy Today

It does leave it up to the player, but by putting the idea in your head that holy might wipe out humanity, and then showing Midgar just being a bunch of trees and bushes 500 years later, like I said I think it's definitely what they wanted you to believe.

Edited by chaosrage

Guest Sakura
Lifestream saved the planet from the meteor. Holy took out the people.

How do you know? It doesn't show anything. If you don't know what the laughing means you don't know what Holy did. Holy didn't even work. Red says it looks like Holy is going to destory the whole planet at one point.

*sighs* THIS (^) is why that movie is coming out.

To finally put to rest people arguing over what really happened.

And to personally piss off a lot of fanfic writers who devoted countless hours to making sure they had a very well thought out story that made sense.

Lifestream saved the planet from the meteor.  Holy took out the people.

How do you know? It doesn't show anything. If you don't know what the laughing means you don't know what Holy did. Holy didn't even work. Red says it looks like Holy is going to destory the whole planet at one point.

I'm just guessing because of the way the end was. There's nothing in the game really that would make you think the laughing meant people were alive.

Guest Sakura

Generally people that laugh are alive.

When you go to the Lifestream it's not like you're in heaven...you are reborn as plants and stuff, so why would you laugh?

Generally people that laugh are alive.

When you go to the Lifestream it's not like you're in heaven...you are reborn as plants and stuff, so why would you laugh?

Well it's obviously not real children laughing since you could see there weren't any there, heh. So it must be something deeper, like within the planet.

Lifestream is spirit energy. They can be angry when the planet is getting hurt and dying, so why can't they be happy when everything is fixed and it's all returning back to nature?

*sighs* THIS (^) is why that movie is coming out.

To finally put to rest people arguing over what really happened.

And to personally piss off a lot of fanfic writers who devoted countless hours to making sure they had a very well thought out story that made sense.

And to milk more money out of a game that should have had some actual plot resolution in the first place.

What an absolute piece of shit.

I didn't mind playing through the intensely-dumbed down combat system. I didn't mind grinding through one of the most inane and nonsensical plots of all time.

What I do mind is that, after hours and hours of investing time into this astoundingly-mediocre game, is that they couldn't even be bothered to resolve said non-sensical plotline.

Fuck all this noise about "artistic statements" and "leaving it up to interpretation." I pay $50 and spend 40 hours playing through a game, I expect a payoff, not some nebulous finale that belongs in a bargain bin at Barnes and Noble. The fact that people TO THIS DAY are still desperately struggling to find meaning behind this half-assed imagery shows that they ruined an opportunity to deliver a downright cathartic entertainment experience.

I truly hope that anybody else who grabs this disc (which is fine - we're all allowed to have an opinion) merely considers the fact that they're giving money to this company to reward them for poor game design, poor storytelling, and lack of respect for their fans.

A DVD? What a fucking "apology", Square. You won't get a damn cent from me.

</cameo>

It always thought that the situation was the same as in, say, the end of Sonic Adventure 2.

You make an ending that leaves a question in the gamer's mind. The answer seems to be there, but is a bit nebulous.

Why?

JUST IN CASE you want to make a sequel that you have something to build on. Duh.

If this were a movie, and I had plunked down $8 and a couple of hours, I'd probably have no argument for you.

With video games (and especially RPGs), however, I think you're obligated to fully pay off the experience, due to the fact that you've been building tension for 40+ hours of gameplay. You can leave some avenues open for a sequel, but you can't just discard resolution for nearly every damn character. If you tried to that even in any other form of entertainment, the viewer would feel absolutely cheated out of their time.

It always thought that the situation was the same as in, say, the end of Sonic Adventure 2.

You make an ending that leaves a question in the gamer's mind. The answer seems to be there, but is a bit nebulous.

Why?

JUST IN CASE you want to make a sequel that you have something to build on. Duh.

Well they also leave endings open to interpretation on games and movies so that you have more to talk about with your friends sometimes. You have better discussions about a game or movie that leaves something to your interpretation.

I gotta agree with the MIB here. I mean, Final Fantasy was a series that always had damn good endings ever since it was technologically possible. From IV onwards, they gave you a nice, long, specific ending that showed you what happened to each of the characters after the game ended, and lasted thirty minutes or more. And then when I won FFVII, my general reaction was: "What the FUCK was that?! What a goddamned ripoff!" They gave you a couple of minutes of flashy pyrotechnic stuff (completely omitting Vincent and Yuffie if you'd picked them up, something FFVI certainly didn't do with its extra characters), a weird-ass unexplained happening, and then BOOM: "500 years later". It was bullshit.

Right. Basically, it's as if they had actually kicked around the idea of a direct sequel long before they went with it with FFX-2.

I actually don't mind every new game apparently taking place in a completely new world. Final Fantasies usually have no direct connection with each other storyline-wise, and I kinda prefer it that way since we get different characters then.

So, I think for the first time they were debating a direct sequel. Although, the outcries for a way to revive Aeris or something else may have made them change their minds.

Guest Sakura
They can be angry when the planet is getting hurt and dying, so why can't they be happy when everything is fixed and it's all returning back to nature?

....but laughing = humanity is alive is stretching it?

If Holy destroyed humans what was the point of the Lifestream? If the intention was just to have meteor be destroyed and then have humans die why bother with having the Lifestream come out and help? It doesn't look like Holy had any intention of killing humans. When it's activated it immediatly goes to Meteor and tries to stop it but it's too late.

The character's stories in VII ARE resolved, regardless of the fate of the world. Everyone's own personal issues are resolved when Cloud gives them the night off and they all return to the air ship before the final battle. Just because they don't resolve them in the ending doesn't mean everyone's story was left hanging.