TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JRE

A biker chain match...

comparing American wrestling to Puro is unfair to begin with, since it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Actually, it's like comparing ice cream to horse manure.

*thinks no one will get that reference*

Well since earlier were were talking about who's better...Storm or Edge...and now we're talking about overrated(which I agree about HBK...I think he's one of the WORST workers i've seen....but a GREAT entertainer definetly)

let's talk about Edge being overrated. The guy is a WWE worker true and true. And I personally don't think he can have anything except for a WWE style match. When he does and IF it turns out good then I'll rethink my position. But as of now the guy is overrated as fuck.

comparing American wrestling to Puro is unfair to begin with, since it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Flair's belt to Hogan's belt, circa 1991?

Flair's belt to Hogan's belt, circa 1991?

Someone got the reference!

Guest Askewniverse
Conversely, I am annoyed when people say I can't mention Japan in a WWE forum. Tsuruta and Kawada happen to be two of the greatest wrestlers ever (if not THE greatest), so if people are going to tell me a WWE wrestler is "great", I'll obviously bring up the fact that there are better wrestlers.

I'm not denying that Kawada is a good wrestler. I can't say much about Tsuruta, since I haven't seen any of his matches. It's just that when the topic is about wrestlers competing in North America, why bring up a Japanese wrestler? Why not mention another American worker who you think is better than the ones being discussed?

Besides, comparing American wrestling to Puro is unfair to begin with, since it's like comparing apples to oranges.

No it's not. Wrestling matches are wrestling matches, no matter where they take place.

Again, I have to disagree. I feel that it's unfair to compare puro to American wrestling, since the styles are so different. Do you really think that it's fair to compare, say AJPW circa 1993-1997 to the WWF from the same time period?

Well in a way it's fair. Because overall no matter what style you're watching the same things make a good match and good match.

So if said worker an do these things to make the match a good match no matter what style then yeah there a good worker.

The only exception would be WWE style. It's such a hampering style that NOBODY is able to do the things that make a good match good. Every now and then someone will be able to break out of the style and present a good match(Angle/Benoit RR03) but for the most part there balls are so clampled that they can't do anything.

I think it is possible to have a clash of style between American and International wrestling. We all do look for different things in matches from country to country and hell even state to state so while we might think 'wrestler A' is a good worker, 'wrestler A' might be considered overrated in Japan.

However, I can say it would be fair if you can approach it without the stereotypes of what is a good match in the area you come from.

Many X factors. Hell, somewhere some people might think Steamboat/Flair was overrated and too long. You never know.

Guest ManKinnd

Ray, yes, Kawada had the best match ever in June of 94 with Misawa. Yes he did. I'm not gonna argue that. But just because someone is in the best match ever doesn't mean he's the best worker ever. I'm not saying this is the case in the least, but if a guy put on 3 years of DUDS, had the undisputed best match ever, then retired, would he be the best worker there is? I think Benoit has had more great matches then Kawada, and has worked many more styles. His versatility is unmatched. How many people can have ****+ ladder matches, spotfests, mat exhibitions, WWE style, and lucha matches?

Misawa was right there with Kawada in 6/94, so why not list him? He also had the 2nd best match ever, arguably first, with Kobashi in 1/97.

You have to respect Benoit's versatility, bottom line, which Kawada may have, but has never shown.

Going back on-topic, Lesnar / Undetaker could be good, but the lame stipulation really hinders it.

Maybe they will do some good ol fashion'd lucha-esque chain wrestling in the match?

Considering that Japanese wrestling was/is heavily influenced by American wrestling and that Jumbo Tsuruta was trained in-part by Dory Funk - the same guy who trained Kurt Angle IIRC - I think it's a legitimate comparison.