TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brush with Greatness

Damn You Future Shop!

So anyways, Animal Crossing really intrigues me. Never played but I think it would be great.

Anyways, Future Shop in Canada has the Gamecube for 139.99. But with a $40 mail in rebate I can get it for 99.99 Canadian between October 14th and October 16th.

Also, Animal Crossing is only 39.99 and comes with a memory card (which retail in Canada around 24.99).

So I have little money but this sounds like a great deal.

Is it worth it?

Also a few questions:

Are memory cards coming with games the norm on Gamecube?

Is Animal Crossing still good without the E-Reader, Gameboy Advance, etc?

Also, to anyone who has played it: Do you need a Gameboy Advance each time you travel to the island or only the first time?

Animal Crossing rules. I recently stopped playing, but before that I played practically every day for an entire year, and still didn't get everything in the game. Once you get going, you only really need to play for about 30 minutes a day, so it doesn't take up a lot of your time, and you won't burn out on it. I highly, highly recommend it. Plus, if you're lucky enough, you can end up w/ fully Punch-Out, Mario, and Zelda, all fully playable (as well as around 20 other NES games).

Gamecube games don't normally come w/ memory cards. Animal Crossing does, and you get a couple NES games on it.

I don't have the e-Reader. It's not a big deal for Animal Crossing. The Gameboy Advance, however (along w/ the link cable to the GC), is needed each time you want to go to the island.

It should be noted however, that Animal Crossing comes with a card because the game info will fill the card, therefore you'll need another card for other games, anyway.

Guest The Notorious CRD

Any game you start planning your day around (yes, I did exactly that for months) just HAS to be good. :) I say get it.

I played Animal Crossing for a few months, and it got severely boring. Plus, the whole fact that the game world deteoriates if you don't play EVERY DAY, is just annoying. It's definitely not a game for anyone who has a job or a girlfriend or anything like that.

Guest DVD Spree
I played Animal Crossing for a few months, and it got severely boring. Plus, the whole fact that the game world deteoriates if you don't play EVERY DAY, is just annoying. It's definitely not a game for anyone who has a job or a girlfriend or anything like that.

I know I'm a little late here, but I really want to chime in because I take exeption to that point.

And of course, I want to plug my review that you should have all have read by now:

http://thesmartmarks.com/artman/publish/ar...ticle_978.shtml

My girlfriend and I were both HUGELY into Animal Crossing - it's a great way to actually involve your missus in your gamesplaying, rather than sitting with your back to her while you play Def Jam for hours on end. She loved it so much I'd wake up in the night and she'd be sitting on the end of the b ed cruising round the village digging shit up.

Sure, the game does get repetitive... after about a year's play (as Spiff also said). The gameplay is not meant to keep you occupied for hours every day, but 20 or 30 minutes of truly compulsive, daily play time. And yes, the game world DOES deteriote (but not if you miss a day or three, that's an exaggeration), because that's the point of the game! You don't say "Oh, Mario sucks because you die if you fall of the screen," because you can't escape what the game is - the purpose of the title is not to collect coins or beat bosses or win fights, it's to BUILD A COMMUNITY IN REAL TIME. That's the premise of the game, and if it bugs you, unfortunately you made an unwise purchase.

Besides, the game world deteriorating isn't necessarily a bad thing - the game doesn't end or anything just because your village is full of weeds and the locals start moving away, just as the game doesn't end if you sell your shovel to Nook and never dig up a fossil again in your life. THAT'S WHAT MAKES THE GAME SO MUCH FUN, it's non-linearity and the fact that the game is unique to each and every single person who plays it.

I do have a semi-rant about this in my review, but Jeebus, it annoys the hell out of me when people say a game is boring just because it isn't mindless GTA-esque violence violence violence. And hey, if Animal Crossing itself bores you, you can just play the complete versions of Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Wario's Woods, Punch Out!!, and a bunch of other classic NES games.

Fuck this, I'm gonna go play it right now.

I do have a semi-rant about this in my review, but Jeebus, it annoys the hell out of me when people say a game is boring just because it isn't mindless GTA-esque violence violence violence. And hey, if Animal Crossing itself bores you, you can just play the complete versions of Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Wario's Woods, Punch Out!!, and a bunch of other classic NES games.

Dude, I don't think it's boring due to it's lack of violence, etc. I just find it blah, because after you've paid for the final upgrade on your house, there's not much else to do besides dig weeds and deliver crap for your neighbors. Over... and over... and over... and over again. =\

Guest DVD Spree
Dude, I don't think it's boring due to it's lack of violence, etc. I just find it blah, because after you've paid for the final upgrade on your house, there's not much else to do besides dig weeds and deliver crap for your neighbors. Over... and over... and over... and over again. =\

Sorry dude, didn't mean to be arsey towards you, just I've been confronted by so many PS2 owners who just take one look at it and say "LOLthat'sgay!GTAvicecityrules2K3~!" without even bothering to figure it out.

I still feel that there's more to it than just gardening and running errands - hell, I haven't run an errand in months. Collecting all the items - clothes, furniture, wallpaper, carpets, gifts etc. - is what the game focuses on, thanks to Ninty's "Gotta catch 'em all!" mentality. It's easy as anything to collect all the common stuff, but etting all the holiday items, the rare collectibles and particularly the Japanese items that are buried DEEP within the game is no mean feat. Filling O'Hare's island hut with matchign furniture isn't easy either, and cultivating a village full of golden trees and every kind of fruit should be something of a challenge. The on top of all that, there are 14 complete NES games - I mean, for the price of a single GC title not only do you get the most startlingly original game released in a loooong time, but you get 14 NES titles including classics like Mario and Zelda.

Animal Crossing itself takes a full year to "complete" (if you don't fuck about with the clock in order to cheat), and even if you only really did only play it for a couple of months, well, that's still more playability than most games. But the bottom line is, there's a shitload on offer besides just the game itself - that's the reason why I heartily recommend this game to each and every person who owns a GameCube.