TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kinetic

Make contentious statements

Guest swan
Rebuttal: Well, seeing as how the members of Metallica are closer to Steven Tyler's age than say Kid rock, there looking like geezers doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is Metallica's last few albums have resembled Aerosmith's last few albums in general overall crappiness. Here's to hoping both bands call it quits except for 15 reunion tours where they have session musicians playing all the instruments because they can't perform anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Aerosmith is well into there 50's while the memebrs of Metallica are pushing 40.

Metallica 12+ years without a decent album, Aerosmith 22+ years without a decent album.

Guest converge241

hey Kinetic you could point out someone is bad at lyrics and then cut and paste it and just reply : decay

that would be GREAT

Guest converge241
Statement-If Creed had a different lead singer but same band...Would they be as Huge as they are?

rebuttal: yes i think so. Maybe bigger if they could write better lyrics/songs. His personality seems more of a hinderance to the band than anything else.

statement Joy Division would not be as loved had Ian Curtis never committed suicide before leaving for the American Tour

Guest converge241
Decay.

see, there it is again :)

seriously though is that in regards to thinking hes a bad lyricist or thinking music wise he is my favorite of all time?

Please, the people (well just me) are DYING TO KNOW!!!!

Guest muzanisa

Rebuttal - Joy Division were a great band and very loved before Ian Curtis died. I heard New Order  today on the radio and I can't believe it was essentially the same band. Joy Division were a dark primal important band with a great frontman. His death detracted from what could have been acheived it did not cement them anywhere. Hindsight is 20/20 but with Curtis they could have gone onto be the best band of their era.

Statement - Classical crossover artists are no more classical than Britney Spears is rock and roll.

Guest Kinetic
Decay.

see, there it is again :)

seriously though is that in regards to thinking hes a bad lyricist or thinking music wise he is my favorite of all time?

Please, the people (well just me) are DYING TO KNOW!!!!

Are you asking me if he's my favorite of all time?  If so, no.  I used to really enjoy Nine Inch Nails, but I've long since abandoned that along with almost everything else I liked when I was 13.  If you're saying he's your favorite of all time, well...uh...good for you, I guess.  If he could tone down the pretension just a few million tads and consult with someone on how to be a better lyricist, then he'd be fine.

Guest converge241

I agree with the pretension part.

I cant leave behind any music w/age I just add on new stuff

Guest Kinetic
I cant leave behind any music w/age I just add on new stuff

I got to a point where the new stuff I was discovering was making all my standard favorites look silly by comparison.  It all had a lot to do with not wanting any of the hip, music-conscious people I wish I was meeting to know that I owned seven GWAR albums.  And I did.  When I was 14, my favorite bands were Megadeth, GWAR, and Nine Inch Nails.  If some adorable indie rock waif were to see that in my collection, I'd be shunned.  Ostracized from the community!  As a result, I've since gotten rid of anything that could be construed as unhip.  Sadly, most of the girls I meet listen to Jewel or Limp Bizkit or something equally awful.  Still, it's the principle of the matter.

Guest Kinetic
Statement - Classical crossover artists are no more classical than Britney Spears is rock and roll.

I can't think of a single example of this.  Help me out.

Guest muzanisa

Charlotte Church, Russel Watson, Lesley Garret, Vanessa Mae, Nigel Kennedy.

Guest razazteca

Charlotte Church, Russel Watson, Lesley Garret, Vanessa Mae, Nigel Kennedy.

Vanessa Mae plays the violin as if she was the lead of a Rock Opera, Charlotte Church is trying to be a sex symbol now, not sure about the others mention unless they were on 60 minutes or 20/20 lately.

Guest evenflowDDT

Ummm... what the hell was the last statement? It's a bit messy, so I'll just start us all over again, with possibly the most pretentious statement in the entire thread:

Statement: There is no more new ground to be broken in music.  Thus, there are no more ground-breaking new musicians, and there never will be.

Guest Kinetic
Statement: There is no more new ground to be broken in music.  Thus, there are no more ground-breaking new musicians, and there never will be.

Rebuttal: There's always something new to be done.  For instance, electronic music has come a long way in the last fifteen years just because the technology is so much more advanced now.  A lot of IDM musicians have done things that sound like nothing else, so that's groundbreaking.  In incorporating this ever-changing technology into more traditional songs and structures, new ground is broken.  Whether that ground is worth being broken or if the end result is any good is irrelevant.  The ground's still being broken.  So, no.  Music will constantly evolve.  That's why it's still interesting to listen to.

Statement: Radio is completely dead.  It means nothing to anyone.

Guest razazteca

Rebuttal: Something new will pop up and make the people say wow, if its the fusion of established styles, such as the current trend of DJs in rock bands or rappers returning to use funk base beats, to the latest eye candy singers.

Statement:  All talk radio FM stations are more entertaining than music stations.

Guest evenflowDDT
Statement:  All talk radio FM stations are more entertaining than music stations.

Rebuttal: The only all-talk radio stations around here are AM, and depending on what you're looking for, they could be either very interesting, or a bunch of conservative and religious b.s.  But there's always sports talk!

Even if you don't like the radio though, there are usually classic rock radio stations somewhere around (unfortunately, there has yet to be a "classic urban" radio station, the closest thing are those soul music stations).  That's enough for me, and really all I've listened to for at least a year.  You can never hear songs like "Rock You Like a Hurricane" or "Bohemian Rhapsody/We Are the Champions" too many times ;)

Statement: The Velvet Underground owe their early success and popularity amongst the "underground community" more to their association with Andy Warhol than their actual music.

Guest godthedog

rebuttal: probably for much of their earlier success, but the place they've earned in the history of rock music is entirely on their own merits.  the timelessness of their music doesn't come from their association with andy warhol.

statement: when bad boy records hit it big in the late 90s, it fired the first shot for the dying of hip hop.  it's on a downward spiral now, and as an art form it'll be dead in 10 years unless a group of brilliant people come out with albums around the same time.

Guest razazteca
when bad boy records hit it big in the late 90s, it fired the first shot for the dying of hip hop

What nearly destroyed hip-hop was the stupid Suge Knight vs Sean Combs, West Coast vs East Coast feud.  They took the fundimentals of hip-hop which was the battle of words by MCs and made it a main stream media mess by getting their egomaniac selfs into it.

Guest goodhelmet

ummm...bad boy records is, for all intents, Sean Combs so I take it you are agreeing with the statement.

Well, let's get this back on track...

Statement: The next big music trend will incorporate the accordion.

Guest Choken One

Rebuttal- I agree. It's time for the Accordian to make waves. I'm betting it's either Bob Dylan or Beck who makes the thing huge.

Statement-Christian Rock. It's an oxymoron.

Guest goodhelmet

Exactly. Rock music is the devil's music and it's time the christian rock minions bow down to the power of Satan and spread the evil message. Bands like Creed and DC Talk claim to be Christian but will burn in hell for playing the message of Lucifer. As Slayer once said "Hell Awaits!"

Statement: 2Pac is extremely overrated and if not for his death would have disappeared with the other hundreds of rappers.

Guest converge241
Statement-Christian Rock. It's an oxymoron

agreement. I actually listen to a christian death-metal band, and while I like them, it just seems odd to realize that they are growling about god. Like Stryper was really living the good life when they had women throwing themselves at them in the 80's. And all the "new" christian rock bands i see when flipping through the digital cable all sound neutered.

statement: There will never be a new "Beatles" "Rolling Stones" or "Led Zepplin" as every potential successor to join that panthenon burns out or falls short.

Guest Kinetic
statement: There will never be a new "Beatles" "Rolling Stones" or "Led Zepplin" as every potential successor to join that panthenon burns out or falls short.

Rebuttal: It's not so much a matter of them burning out, really.  Music is just so diversified at this point that no band is capable of or given the opportunity to create that sort of following and hype.  The Beatles were as successful as they were due to not just the quality of their music, but also the unprecedented amounts of media attention.  No musician can get that now, because there simply isn't the same interest.  Even if they did, as Britney Spears has, they can't back it up with actual music and everyone dismisses it.  But, really, the main reason is how diversified music is.  Not enough people are listening to make it matter.

Statement: Indie elitism is pretty silly, considering that most indie labels have distribution deals with major labels and that a lot of really great music comes out on major labels each year.

Guest Choken One

Rebuttal: 2pac would have burned out a little but he woul be able to stick around the spotlight in many ways. Don't forget, he could have had a good movie career since he was very charismatic and even made a couple decent flicks prior to his death.

Statement:Country does not get enough respect. Real Country,not the Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Tim McGraw poppycountry crap. I mean people like George Jones.

Guest goodhelmet

Rebuttal: The old timers get plenty of respect. Johnny Cash. Merle Haggard and the like are revered all around... just not in Nashville. Plus, the old shit is great drinking music. Like these guys weren't afraid to admit they were alcoholics and wore their freak flag proudly.

Statement: Prince is the greatest songwriter of the last 20 years

Guest CoreyLazarus416

REBUTTAL: Maybe, if you don't listen to Dream Theater...

STATEMENT: Labeling musicians/bands and their music helps it.

Guest Choken One

I'm not sure what you meant by that sooo...

Statement: In all honestly, Will records come back in style?

Guest evenflowDDT
Statement: In all honestly, Will records come back in style?

Rebuttal: Although there are (usually independent) artists and DJ's who still issue some material in vinyl, it's simply too out of touch and/or inconvenient for the average consumer to ever get over outside of a niche "audiophile" community.  Think about it: records are bulky, not portable (I mean like discman/walkman portable, where you can just plug it in and leave), can hold less music, and are a pain in the ass because you have to keep flipping them.

Statement: If Milli Vanilli had come out today, nobody would have cared about their lip-synching charade since no pop stars sing live anyway!

Guest goodhelmet

Rebuttal: The one flaw in this statement is that Milli Vanilli not only lip-synched but also didn't sing on their record. Whether you like the Britney, Sync, Backstreet crap or not is irrelevant. They all sang on their records. There's a hell of alot more integrity in performing your own music than taking credit for someone else's work. It would have been a big deal today.

Statement: Britney Spears will become the next Madonna, stretching the boundaries in music and sexuality ;)

Guest Kinetic
Statement: Britney Spears will become the next Madonna, stretching the boundaries in music and sexuality ;)

Rebuttal: While she's certainly stretched the boundaries of my sexuality on many occasions, I don't foresee Britney Spears having any sort of lasting and meaningful impact.  First of all, she isn't as smart as Madonna.   Like her or not, you have to at least respect Madonna for being savvy enough to keep drawing attention to herself.  And beyond that, Britney has yet to demonstrate that she has any ambitions beyond being a second-rate, trailer trash Madonna.  So, uh...it ain't gonna happen, I guess.

Statement:  I saw the video for Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" the other day and...I got a little teary-eyed.  Should I be ashamed?

Sign in to follow this