TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kinetic

Make contentious statements

Guest Choken One

Rebuttal: Yes. Be ashamed.

Statement:Did Elton John's sexual preference hurt or help his career?

Guest Kinetic
Statement:Did Elton John's sexual preference hurt or help his career?

Bastard.  That's such a great song and video, actually, and I just couldn't help myself.  It wasn't all-out bawling or anything, but my eyes were sort of welling up and I had a lump in my throat.  She's been completely discredited due to the whole Pope thing and not having released anything good in a decade, but she's actually a great singer.  And Prince wrote the song!  There's nothing to be ashamed of.  (/frantic justification)

Rebuttal: It didn't have any impact on his career at all.  By the time his sexuality was revealed, he was already an established star and being gay was no longer a big deal in the least.  

Statement:  Jesus has no place in rock and roll music.

Guest Choken One

Rebuttal: It's a questionable thing. Christian Rock is, as I said before a Oxymoron. However, without him, many artist lose many of their biggest material, namely  Marilyn Manson. It's a sign of inability to write if you can only bash him.

Statement: Bands with numbers (Blink 182, Sum31, 411 etc.) need to be killed because of causing confusion.

Guest Human Fly

Rebuttal: While bands with numbers may be a little confusing, there are not nearly confusing as something such as Quantam Physics which requires years of studying to only partially grasp. I'm sure if you actually tried you could remember the names.

Statement: Individual taste is all but dead, everyone is just looking for the next big thing leaving society as a whole musically unfulfilled.

Guest godthedog

rebuttal: i have individual taste.  i'm not dead.

statement: the white stripes and the strokes stand at the forefront of a neo-neopunk revolution that will overthrow the tyrants of nu-metal and make the airwaves free and true once more.

Guest Choken One

rebuttal: White Stripes and Strokes are junk and they won't make any type of impact.

Statement: Soundtracks are rarely good.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

REBUTALL: Agreed. You just need to find the good ones (Tromeo & Juliet, Ghosts Of Mars, The Crow, Blade).

STATEMENT: Linkin Park isn't half as bad as most people make them out to be.

Guest JohnSkins

REBUTTAL You're right, they're worse.

STATEMENT The appearence of Kerry King in the new Sum 41 video just proves that people will do anything for money.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

REBUTTAL: Or maybe it proves that you can be in a metal band and like more than just metal...

STATEMENT: DropKick Murphys are easily the best band out of Boston in a LONG time.

Guest evenflowDDT
STATEMENT The appearence of Kerry King in the new Sum 41 video just proves that people will do anything for money.

Rebuttal: Though I don't really know a lot about Sum 41 OR Slayer, I've heard that the guys in Sum 41 are big Slayer fans, and as such, they might've had mutual friends or agents and King's appearance was done as a favor.

Statement: Sum 41 aren't going to be around in two or three years anyway, so why does it matter who is or isn't in their videos?

Guest converge241
Statement: Sum 41 aren't going to be around in two or three years anyway, so why does it matter who is or isn't in their videos?

i agree, no exp needed.

statement: MTV has not only killed the radio star, they have now effectively killed the video star

Guest swan

REBUTTAL: Not really. It's not like it's the first time he has ever done this before. Most of you probally don't remember him in the Beastie Boys "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" video. But of course that was him on the record playing that chord. Even though I'm not a 41 fan, I like the way they put over the classic metal.

Now if Eddie Van Halen had appeared in the "Beat It" video then we would of had problems.

Guest JohnSkins

Actually, I do remember Kerry King in the Beastie Boys video (I'm getting old).  Yes, if Eddie Van Halen would've done anything with the "King of Pop" the world would've ended right then and there.

NEW STATEMENT Bands are usually better when they're on drugs.  (Aerosmith, AIC)

Guest swan
Yes, if Eddie Van Halen would've done anything with the "King of Pop" the world would've ended right then and there.

You do realize that is Eddie playing guitar on "Beat It" right?

Guest converge241
Quote (JohnSkins @ May 07 2002,15:27)

Yes, if Eddie Van Halen would've done anything with the "King of Pop" the world would've ended right then and there.

ha ha busted!! Slash worked with him as well.

NEW STATEMENT Bands are usually better when they're on drugs.  (Aerosmith, AIC)

agreement..sadly they usually are..amidst all the bad that comes out of it most musicians would be the first to tell you, it breeds creativity.

STATEMENT: DropKick Murphys are easily the best band out of Boston in a LONG time.

disagree. i love the Murphys but im partial to Converge (surprise!) and Diecast. they are right up there though.

Guest muzanisa

Rebuttal: Depends on the drug and the use. Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Oasis got bad while still be big drug takers. I think a lot of bands just burnout creatively and then blame the drugs for them becoming shit.

Statement : Third Albums suck (generally, don't just mention Armed Forces or OK Computer)

Guest JohnSkins

Bastards!  I should've fact checked BEFORE I posted, oh well it's not like I ever cared about any of the Jacksons anyway.  Pardon my ignorance.

REBUTTAL Led Zeppelin III, Electric Ladyland, AEnima, Master of Reality.  All third albums.

STATEMENT Faith No More, if it wern't for internal problems could've been the one of the greatest bands EVER.  I personally regard them as Gods, but thats just me.

Guest redbaron51

Rebuttal: Agreed. Faith No More was great band, even though technically and to some spawned Nu-Metal.

Statement: Solo's are now extremely rare today. No one right now has done something innovating to the guitar, that influence the mainstream fans.

Guest swan
Statement : Third Albums suck (generally, don't just mention Armed Forces or OK Computer)

Rebuttal: "Master of Puppets"-Metallica

"Toys In The Attic"-Aerosmith

Guest evenflowDDT
Statement: Solo's are now extremely rare today. No one right now has done something innovating to the guitar, that influence the mainstream fans.

Rebuttal: Sad, but true.  I have yet to hear a "new band" from the past few years that has done some truly great solo's with the guitar (with the exception of Buckcherry's guitarist Yogi, but I'm the only person in this thread who likes Buckcherry so I'll pretend he didn't count).  Of course, the reason for this is because most are either nu-metal or pop/punk, genres which were never big on solos anyway.

Statement: Suge Knight is the most important figure in '90s rap, as his Death Row records was instrumental in the careers of the most successful rappers of the decade, many of whom were also forerunners in the "gangsta rap" sub-genre that was popular until the deaths of 2Pac Shakur and Christopher "Notorious B.I.G." Wallace.

Guest Choken One

Rebutal: No doubt about it. Suge Was the biggest pimp in the game until he became a worthless joke.

Statement: Endorsements should not be aloud to buy people's music.

Guest redbaron51

Rebuttal: Thats true, but i would sell out for endorsements just to get more cash.

Statement: If it wasn't for the Beatles, the guitar would be dead.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

REBUTTAL: Untrue. Guitar was around centuries (in some way, shape, or form) before The Beatles, and without them, music would just sound slightly different.

STATEMENT: The term "the cream rises to the top," in music's case, was first coined by a person that never has heard of a particular kind of feces called "floaters."

Rebuttal- agreed.  Usually it's only the crap that floats to the top in the music world.

Statement- Right now the indy scene is flourishing, and while the mainstream is looking for the "next big thing", there are hundreds of bands breaking down new barriers everyday.

Guest redbaron51

Corey, if the beatles weren't around, no one would be really playing guitar. Hell music would be dead if it wouldn't be for the beatles.

Rebuttal: Indy scene is busting out with tremendous talent, but if new barriers are breaking down, corporate recrods will find or make bands that sound like the next great thing.

Statement: Metal bands always gets blamed for school shootings/suicides, even when there is no proof most of the time

Guest Kinetic
Statement: Metal bands always gets blamed for school shootings/suicides, even when there is no proof most of the time

Non-Rebuttal: It's a matter of parents and teachers needing a scapegoat because of their negligence to obviously disturbed teenagers.  The media grabs onto that, because they have a story that can be beaten into the ground for weeks before anyone gets tired of it with a school shooting.  The added element of the entertainment industry gives them a few more weeks potentially, so they'll take whatever they can get.  Then, of course, there are politicians.  Any opportunity to criticize the entertainment industry for being too violent, they'll take.  A national tragedy with tons of media coverage gives them something concrete to work with, so they'll exploit it to their own gains.  It's futile, really, because they can't get around the First Amendment but that's never stopped them before.  But, yeah, metal always gets a bad rap when something like that happens.  It's pretty silly.

Statement: Mainstream rock has hit its absolute nadir.  It has never been as bad as it is now.

Guest goodhelmet

I want to argue with you but I can't. I have absolutely no interest in any of today's mainstream rock bands. Damn, this is making me depressed.

Statement: David Bowie's earlier work (from Space Oddity to Diamond Dogs) is some of the best rock music EVER released!!!

Guest redbaron51

Rebuttal: To me, i don't think its really that great albums ever in Rock, but I really think that Space Oddity and Diamond Dogs are some of his best that he released though.

Statement: Run DMC saved Aerosmith career (I wish he didn't though)

Guest Kinetic
Statement: Run DMC saved Aerosmith career (I wish he didn't though)

Rebuttal: Run DMC is two guys.  Run and DMC, if I'm not mistaken.  In any case, yes, they revived Aerosmith's career.  Had they not, we would have been deprived of such classics as "Love In an Elevator," "Dude Looks Like a Lady," "Jaded," the entire godawful Get a Grip album and so on.  Run DMC...this is on YOUR head!

Statement: Unlike most other musicians his age, Bruce Springsteen has yet to really begin to suck.

Guest evenflowDDT
Statement: Unlike most other musicians his age, Bruce Springsteen has yet to really begin to suck.

Non-rebuttal: Totally true... Springsteen still has his blue-collar/working-class spirit, values, sense of social preaching/storytelling, and songwriting ability.  He's still The Boss :)

Statement: The turntable is the most original musical instrument.  The mere fact that it can create not just background music, but in the hands of professionals like Kid Koala an entire album, while having no defined notes or traditional structure is a testament to the blending of art and technology.

Sign in to follow this