TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

~The Official MMA News Thead~

I figure there's a lot of news in MMA that deserves attention, but there's so much that it would warrant it's own folder... since we have to share with the fine, sleazy, Indy-folk, I figure a one-stop thread would be suitable. I'll try to make daily updates, and if ANYONE feels like posting a newsbit or commenting please do. This will mainly cover the "Big 2", but news on organizations like K-1, KOTC, TKO, etc. are certainly welcome. PPV/Card/Event threads should be started on their own, but should only be when the whole card is officially announced. If there's a MAJOR news story, create a new thread for that as well. Please credit your source.

(PS. the Bold font is just to break up the monotony, not to highlight anything as important.)

Tuesday, October 21, 2003

--UFC announced a deal with Studio Works Entertainment to market DVD's of all current and future UFC shows as well as tapes of their other PPV specials. (WO.com)

((MORE))

ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP‚, STUDIOWORKS IN EXCLUSIVE AGREEMENT TO MARKET, DISTRIBUTE FIGHT DVDS IN U.S., CANADA

World’s Premier Mixed Martial Arts Sports Association Continues To Expand Its Brand In North American Markets

LAS VEGAS, October 21, 2003…. The Ultimate Fighting Championship‚ (UFC‚), the world’s premier mixed martial arts sports association, and Studioworks Entertainment, a Ventura Distribution Company, today announced they have finalized an exclusive agreement for Studioworks to market and distribute DVDs of all the current and future UFC fight shows and special compilations in the United States and Canada.

Studioworks will create and implement advertising, marketing programs, special events and promotions to support the distribution and sales of UFC DVDs in retail outlets and e-commerce throughout North America.

The first DVD release will be Ultimate Knockouts, a two-hour feature program that will showcase the best knockouts in UFC history. Action-packed live fight shows to follow will be UFC 43: Meltdown, which features the interim light heavyweight championship bout between Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell and Randy "The Natural" Couture, and UFC 44: Undisputed with the showdown for the light heavyweight title between Couture and light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz.

"We are pleased to have Studioworks become part of the UFC marketing team as we continue to expand our brand of combat sports. Studioworks’ reputation in entertainment marketing and merchandising played a key role in our decision. And Don Gold’s experience in providing marketing leadership to the UFC in its early days also was a major factor," said Dana White, UFC president. "I am so excited to be working with everyone at Zuffa on its series of groundbreaking live sporting events," said Don Gold, Studioworks Co-President. "As a part of The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s success in the early 90’s, there is no better time than the present to introduce today’s sports fans to the best sports programming available on DVD."

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), headquartered in Las Vegas, Nev., is the world’s premier mixed martial arts sports association. Owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC, the UFC programs six live pay-per-view events annually though cable and satellite providers. In addition to its U.S. distribution on iNDemand, DirecTV, TVN, Echostar, Dish Network, Bell ExpressVu and Viewers Choice Canada, UFC events are distributed internationally through WOWOW, Inc. in Japan, Globosat in Brazil, Main Event Television in Australia and Sky Network Television in New Zealand. Zuffa, LLC licenses the distribution of UFC video games through Crave Entertainment and TDK Mediactive.

The UFC’s next live PPV event will be UFC 45: Revolution, its tenth anniversary fight, on Friday, November 21, from the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. For more information, visit the web site at www.ufc.tv.

Studioworks Entertainment, a Ventura Distribution Company, is a full-service studio operation offering its partners a diverse range of entertainment services including, but not limited to, worldwide home entertainment distribution, merchandising, television sales and brand management. Ventura Distribution is a dynamic, 10-year-old home entertainment company that provides service sales, marketing, manufacturing and distribution for independent studios. Among the various lines it represents are Time Life Video, Billy Blanks’ TaeBo Series, BET Video, Razor&Tie, Showtime, Fox Sports Net and Video Action Sports. In addition, Ventura Distribution exclusively distributes programming of its in-house labels, UrbanWorks Entertainment and Studioworks Entertainment. For more information, visit the web site, www.venturadistribution.com. (via the Underground Forums)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--UFC 45 Matches Announced

The lineup for UFC 45: Revolution is nearing completion. The card is now:

Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg

Tank Abbott vs Cabbage Correira

Falaniko Vitale vs Matt Lindland

Ricco Rodriguez vs Pedro Rizzo

Evan Tanner vs Phil Baroni

Din Thomas vs Yves Edwards (Sherdog.com)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WES SIMS VS FRANK MIR - "I'M GOING TO BEAT HIS @$$

MMAWeekly has learned that Wes Sims will face Frank Mir for a second time at the Mohegan Sun in November at UFC 45. MMAWeekly talked with Sims about signing to face Frank Mir for a second time. Sims told MMAWeekly.com "I'm going to beat his ass."

Sims continued, "I'm excited to get a rematch. The way I look at the Octagon is it's a Roman Colosseum. Two men enter, one doesn't leave. That's how all fighters should look at the Octagon; if not, you should be a doorman at a titty bar."

Mir defeated Sims by disqualification, when Sims kicked the downed opponent, Mir, with a footstomp and was immediately disqualified.

This fight will NOT be for the UFC Heavyweight Title; so basically, UFC 45 will not have any Heavyweight Title matches, meaning the title will stay vacant until UFC 46. (MMAWeekly)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IS FUJITA TRAINING TO FIGHT?

MMAWeekly.com has learned that heavyweight Kazuyuki Fujita is currently training at Marco Ruas's gym in Southern California for a future event. It's believed that Fujita is training for a fight in November.

It's not clear who he will be fighting, or for what organization for sure, but some people who train at the gym told MMAWeekly they believe he will be part of the November 9th show in Japan. This has not been confirmed by Dream Stage at this time. One person from the Ruas gym told MMAWeekly they believe Fujita is training for a fight, but they did not elaborate who the future opponent would be. (MMAWeekly)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENKI SUDO SIGNS TO FIGHT IN K-1

It's been a while since we last saw Genki Sudo in mixed martial arts and it appears it will stay that way. Sudo will fight the former K-1 World Max Champion Albert Kraus in upcoming K-1 World Max show on November 18th.

There has been some talk that he may return to the UFC at the beginning of the new year. When asked by the Japanese media about returning to MMA, Sudo said he would love to fight in the UFC and thought it could happen early next year. (MMAWeekly)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BABALU WANTS A SHOT AT THE OLYMPICS

Everyone has been wondering what the future of Babalu is; since, winning the IFC Championship a couple of months ago. Well it looks liks our friends at tatame.com have found out.

The report quote "October 19th, 2003 Babalú pursues the Olympic Games After winning IFC Middleheavyweight belt, Renato Babalú wants now to fight for a medal in the Wrestling at the 2004 Olympic Games, in Athens. Brazilian Olympic Circuit's champion, Babalú; however, needs a sponsor.

"My goal is Athens, but I do need a sponsorship. Every single fighter will need at least R$14 thousand to be part of the trials next year. If I have a sponsorship, I will stop fighting MMA for a while and I will chase after the Olympic medal," announced Babalú. (MMAWeekly)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are Bas's pics for the finals:

"Nogeira against Mirko.

Both great fighters!

I don't believe that Nogeira can take Mirko down, and even on the ground, I don't think he can get submitted.

So I see this fight going with a victory from Mirko, possible KO, but not sure because after the beatings he took from Sapp and Fedor, he was still standing, meaning, he has got a hard head!

If the fight goes to the ground, I hope that Nogeira has a new arsenal of weapons to attack with, because everybody knows now the reversed figure 4, triangle and armbar combination. He needs to go for sweeps more, or at least try. He has got all the talent and trains with the best submission fighters in the world. If he didn't change his arsenal, he will not submit Mirko and it will end as I said.

Wanderlei against Yoshida

I think this will be a walk in the park for Wanderlei, but then again, IF Wanderlei goes for that inside trip takedown and clinches up with Yoshida, he could get submit, Yoshida is THAT good!

But if he plays it safe and stays away from Yoshida, Yoshida has only the judo throws, he has no double or single leg take downs, OR, he is fooling us and he trained his ass of on those and then maybe get's a takedown. My prediction, Wanderlei by KO.

Quinton against Chuck.

Whatever happens, this is going to be a war. So who ever wins is going to fight a fresh Wanderlei (IF I am right in that prediction). I think that Quinton fought very tough opponents and that he will take this fight. It's difficult to say. If Chuck clinches up, he will get taken down, and in Pride there is no fence where he can push him self up to as he can do so perfect in the UFC.

Quinton has the overall better punches, although that Chuck showed us last time that he had a great right straight too!

Very difficult for me to call, since I know both fighters, I think Quinton by decision.

And if he wins that, I hope that he has still enough power to get Wanderlei. Same counts for Chuck of course. It's going to be a hard fight.

There you have it!"

From http:www.basrutten.tv, these predictions and some more updates will be up on the site soon. (via SherdogMB)

Anyways,

The deal with Studio Works Entertainment sounds promising. That means UFC dvd's in Blockbuster, Best Buy, etc, and hopefully not for 45 bucks like they are at HMV here in Canada.

Sims vs. Mir - THANK GOD. Mir did well in the first fight and I hope -if he wins- they build him up as the giant killer. Maybe have him go against McGee later on (though McGee's contract was terminated by Zuffa and he's in the process of getting the decision vs. Sylvia changed to a No Contest.)

UFC 45 is shaping up to be a pretty good card, but I am still debating whether or not to get it. It's the opposite of UFC 44 - which was basically a one-fight card, but that one fight was a HUGE fight, and this card doesn't really have any of that. Nothing that I am too excited about, I guess is what I am trying to say.

I have to say that I'm not feeling the next UFC card. With Sylvia testing positive and probrabaly having to forfeit the title, I don't have any interest in an interim heavyweight champ.

I am however interested in Pride Middleweight GP finals. I see it like Bas saw it. Silva getting an easy win from Yoshida and Jackson going through a war, with a rested Silva beating a worn down Jackson.

I am not touching Nog vs Cro Cop with a ten foot pole. You'd figure Nog would have Mario Sperry training him properly for the awesome standup of Cro Cop. I sincerely don't know who to pick for that fight. I wonder what other fights will be on the Pride card?

Looks like Randleman vs. Sakuraba

As usual, stolen from the Sherdog MB

http://www.boxingtime.com/randleman_interview.htm

Interviewer - There has been a lot of talk on who you are fighting in Pride, who has been confirmed ?

KR - Sakuraba.

I - It’s confirmed ?

KR - Yes they should be coming out with a PR in the next couple day‘s.

Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg

Tank Abbott vs Cabbage Correira

Falaniko Vitale vs Matt Lindland

Ricco Rodriguez vs Pedro Rizzo

Evan Tanner vs Phil Baroni

Din Thomas vs Yves Edwards (Sherdog.com)

I don't think that card looks bad. Tank - Cabbage should be fun if not lacking fundamentally. Matt Hughes is always enjoyable to watch. Ricco-Rizzo and Thomas-Edwards should both be decent. Tanner is easy to cheer for and Baroni is easy to boo (although at the same time, Baroni proved vs. Lindland that he is a true competitor) and add to that Sims-Mir in a much nanticipated rematch from my perspective and its got the makings of a good card. True, there is no standout blowaway match, but at the same time every match has potential to be enjoyable. I think this will be one of those cards that people won't expect anything going in and be really surprised coming out of it.

My big concern is the title situation in the UFC. Are three belts vacant? Correct me if I'm wrong here:

LW: Vacant - I can't believe this is still vacant after they stripped Little Evil. How long has it been? (are they waiting for the winner of Penn-Uno III - is that ever going to happen?)

WW: Matt Hughes??

MW: Vacant/Murilo Bustamante? (is this guy still the champ or did they strip him too?)

LH: Couture (although after that whole interim fiasco)

HW: Vacant

When four of your five titles have had controversy surrounding them in the past year it's time to take a serious look at the big picture.

And on a side note has anyone read (or have any news on) Jens Pulver's autobiography? I've been looking for it. Not even sure if it is out yet. Seems like the release date keeps getting pushed back.

Oh I totally agree Lei, UFC 44 was very enjoyable (every fight) - but going IN to it, in term of getting me to spend my money, it was a 1 fight card.

And the card doesn't look bad at all, it's a good-very good card, but I'm with Dangerous A in not feeling it. There's nothing really to get excited about. It's worth the money in terms of quality, but they don't make me want to whip out my wallet right away. Pride, on the other hand, with Final Conflict, every fight has me excited.

The Title situation in the UFC is so fucked up. Part of it is their fault (not paying enough $) and part of it is just bad fuckin luck. Hughes is the only stable champion, and quite frankly, he has all the appeal of a woodshed.

Agreed. But in the end, I'm simply mark for MMA, and will probably shell out for both Final Conflict and Revolution.

Since no one else has brought it up:

Anounced for Shooto's December Card:

Alxandre "Pequeno" Noguiera

alexandrefrancanogueira.jpg

vs.

Norifumi "Kid Yamamoto

kidyamamoto.jpg

&

Joachim Hansen

Hansen_profile.jpg

vs.

Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro

vitor_ribeiro_profile.jpg

I don't know how many of you watch Shooto, but these two matches alone are reason enough for this be one of my most anticipated cards this year.

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

n_p031022.jpg

RANDLEMAN VS SAKURABA OFFICIAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pride has confirmed on its Japanese web site that Kevin Randleman will be fighting Kazushi Sakuraba on the November 9 "Final Conflict" show.

A press conference was held in Japan to officially announce the fight. In somewhat of a bizarre angle, Pride is referring to Kevin Randleman as "Donkey Kong".

Thanks goes to our friends at PuroresuPower.com for the following details from the Sakuraba-Randleman press conference.

"They are billing it as the fight of 'the IQ wrestler vs. the real Donkey Kong.' Sakuraba did PR for the announcement with a fake mustache on calling himself 'Sakuraba Mario.' It is expected that the match will determine a 'reserve' winner for the Middleweight GP in case someone gets hurt during the tournament and cannot advance." (via MMAWeekly)

-----------------------------------------------

Coleman Talks about His Spinal Surgery and Free Agent Status

Mark Coleman appeared on Tuesday's MMAWeekly Radio and talked about his plans for the future. Coleman said that he tried to work through a major neck injury for a few years before he got a phone call earlier this year from his longtime friend, Olympic Gold Medalist and WWE wrestler Kurt Angle.

Angle, who performed at this year's WrestleMania with a broken neck and went in for surgery shortly thereafter, recommended an alternative spinal surgery to Coleman that doesn't involve spinal fusion and is performed by Dr. Jho out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Coleman said that he can't thank Angle enough for the recommendation because he has felt like a new man ever since the surgery and he was amazed at how quickly he felt better.

Mark Coleman said that he has every intention of calling Don Frye and Pat Miletich, two other MMA fighters with serious spinal injuries, and recommending that they go in for the same surgery in Pittsburgh. Without some form of corrective surgery, any kind of athletic performance (or even just a fall with an awkward landing) poses a large risk of paralysis for Angle, Coleman, Frye, Miletich, or anyone else with a similar spinal injury.

While the traditional fusion surgery would have put Coleman out of commission for 12-18 months, Coleman said that he should be ready to fight one or two months from now. That would make him eligible for Pride's first show of 2004... or the UFC's first show of 2004.

On the topic of his status as a free agent in MMA, Mark Coleman said that he is interested in fighting for Pride, but he would also love to fight for the UFC and he has been impressed with everything Zuffa has done with the UFC. Coleman said that in the end it all comes down to doing what's best for his family and their financial security, so that's what he is going to have to base his decision on.

Regarding a couple of his Hammer House proteges, Coleman said that he's excited about Wes Sims' upcoming fight with Frank Mir at UFC 45 and he's confident that Sims is going to win. He also said that Kevin Randleman will be fighting on Pride's November 9th show, but they're not 100% sure who it will be against. (Kevin Randleman has issued a statement on his official web site in which he claims that he will be facing Kazushi Sakuraba on November 9.)

All you need to do to listen to the show for free is listen at 9am Pacific/12 Noon EST by just clicking on www.mmaweeklyradio.com every Monday - Friday (MMAWeely.com)

---------------------------------------------

K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX

K-1 has announced the brackets for the final three rounds of this year's K-1 World Grand Prix, which will come to a head on December 6 at the Tokyo Dome.

-Stefan Leko vs. Cyril Abidi

-Remy Bonjasky vs. Peter Graham

-Ray Sefo vs. Musashi

-Peter Aerts vs. Alexey Ignashov

In addition to the fights listed above, Bob Sapp will also fight Frans Botha on the card, while Carter Williams and Jerrel Venetian are scheduled to have fights against opponents who have not yet been announced.

While Frans Botha will be a tournament alternate if he beats Sapp and any of the tournament fighters get injured, Bob Sapp will not be in the tournament regardless of whether he defeats Botha. In a rare moment of honesty for K-1, matchmaker Sadaharu Tanigawa is quoted in Japanese newspapers saying that Sapp needs another year of experience before he can hope to win the K-1 World Grand Prix (MMAWeekly.com)

--------------------------------------------------

LYTLE LOOKING FORWARD TO LAWLER AT UFC 45

Chris Lytle appeared on the MMAWeekly Radio Show and talked about his upcoming fight with Robbie Lawler at UFC 45. Lytle said that the fight isn't a 100% done deal yet, but it's very likely to happen and he is training for the fight as if it will happen. Lytle's previous fight in the UFC came in late 2000, when he lost a decision to Ben Earwood. Now 29 years old, Lytle said that he has been working hard for the past three years to get another shot in the UFC and he's not going to let this opportunity pass him by.

Chris Lytle is probably best known in MMA for his fight this past March where he became the first fighter to ever knock out Aaron Riley, a feat that even Robbie Lawler was unable to accomplish when he fought Riley at UFC 37. Lytle said that he expects Lawler to stand up and trade strikes with him, and he will be prepared for that. Lytle said that Lawler always fights in the stand-up position, and he finds it hard to believe that Lawler will come out with a drastically different gameplan in this fight. He did add that you never know how a fight is going to go because either fighter could decide at any time to take the fight to the ground.

Lytle said that all he wants to do is fight the best fighters and worry about everything else later. He is not thinking about making predictions, or what his chances are of winning, or what's going to happen after the fight. He is 100% focused on beating Robbie Lawler. (MMAWeekly.com)

----------------------------------------------

I was REALLY disappointed after watching the Botha match, as the topic of 'Boxer vs. K-1 fighter" is pretty much talked about by everyone in MMA circles. It looked like it was gonna be a slaughter too, until he went for the GnP. Ditto for Sapp, but he looked as if he was gonna lose to Bonjavsky.

I think Botha would murder Sapp though. For those who are more knowledgable on the subject than I, what are the odds that a K-1 fighter, basically a kickboxer, would take out a regular boxer? I'd bet the boxer to take it, since they have MUCH more power in the punch and a very tough chin to boot. That's the average though, not applicable to all cases of course.

Part of the problem is that the talent pool in boxing is quite a deep deeper than that of kickboxing, due mostly to the fact there's a lot much more money to be made as a mediocre pro boxer as opposed to a relatively high ranking kickboxer (the same holds true in comparison to MMA).

You're probably right that on average, in K-1 rules, a boxer would beat a K-1 fighter of comparable ranking in the sport, although there are quite a few in K-1 who could match up well with pro boxers. If the rules were a bit more open in K-1 (closer to full MT rules), it'd tip the scales a bit for them, but that's how I see it now.

Part of the problem is that the talent pool in boxing is quite a deep deeper than that of kickboxing, due mostly to the fact there's a lot much more money to be made as a mediocre pro boxer as opposed to a relatively high ranking kickboxer (the same holds true in comparison to MMA).

You're probably right that on average, in K-1 rules, a boxer would beat a K-1 fighter of comparable ranking in the sport, although there are quite a few in K-1 who could match up well with pro boxers. If the rules were a bit more open in K-1 (closer to full MT rules), it'd tip the scales a bit for them, but that's how I see it now.

Also, in boxing, it seems to compare favourably to Kickboxing, oddly enough. Odds are someone who spends ALL of their time perfecting their punches will have much more knockout power than someone who spends time on both kicking and boxing. That's just common sense. On top of that, boxers tend to have a stronger chin than most kickboxers. Boxers keep their feet in a set position, while kickboxers are constantly moving. That means that a boxer has a better base when throwing a punch. Finally, there's a reason that boxers have matches that are 15 roudns (Heavyweight) while most kickboxing and K-1 matches are just three. If a boxer were to fight under rules with just three rounds he can go all out without getting gassed. That's a big deal.

Why does Pride wait until the very last minute to announce matches? Do they always do this or do they only do this when they don't have big matches planned for the open slots?

Not that it really matters for me, knowing few of the fighters anyway. But it just seems like a really odd practice.

Pride has a nasty habit of not giving their cards enough time. And it's in the Tokyo Dome, so you kinda figure they'd be on the ball. But Sakuraba, Wanderlei, Yoshida, Cro Cop are all on the card - that's more than half the crowd already. Not to mention the GP marquee.

Guest neodragonsan

wait a second...they're having Saku fight someone BIGGER than Silva (weight wise)...What is it with these people just trying to make it difficult for Sakuraba?

wait a second...they're having Saku fight someone BIGGER than Silva (weight wise)...What is it with these people just trying to make it difficult for Sakuraba?

No kidding.

Saku has made a killing for this promotion and THIS is how they reward him?

They don't always make it difficult. Nino Schembri wasn't difficult - Sakuraba just made it difficult by taking him lightly. Sakuraba always wants Silva and DSE always sees green when that match comes up, it's the Rock/Austin of Pride... only, ya know, Austin keeps winning ;)

I don't know why they gave him Randleman though, of all the people under contract, Randleman is the last guy I'd choose to fight Sakuraba. Kev already gotten beat by Rampage and Chuck, so maybe they have a hard on for Silva vs. Randleman??

October 24th, 2003

Dana White just broke the news on MMAWeekly Radio today that Wes Sims broke his arm in training. The fight with Frank Mir has been cancelled (DVDMB)

------------------------------------------

10TH ANNIVERSARY QUICKLY APPROACHING

With the 10th Anniversary card coming up it looks as though some old timers might make the card after all, but they won't be fighting on this upcoming card.

One Gracie family member told MMAWeekly.com last night that Royce Gracie will be receiving "a big award worthy of the hall of fame" implying the UFC is creating a hall of fame that could be unveiled at the UFC 45 card from the Mohegan Sun. Zuffa was not available for comment on the situation.

The same Gracie family member said one other person would also be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame as well and it was someone Royce competed against in the early UFC's. One would think that would mean Ken Shamrock. If these things are true it's a great way for two legends to be part of the card in a truly legendary night.

Also the fight card is pretty well solidified. MMAWeekly has learned that the intial thoughts are to make the preliminary card consist of Matt Lindland vs Niko Vitale, Ricco Rodriguez vs Pedro Rizzo and Yves Edwards vs Din Thomas. No word yet if one of these matches would be part of a swing bout but those three matches are believed to be part of the preliminary card. (MMAWeekly)

---------------------------------------------

BENNETT BREAKDOWN: Emails, emails and more emails

MMAWeekly Radio host Ryan Bennett answers your emails once a month about the hot topics in mixed martial arts. If you would like to ask a question, email him at [email protected]

Why isn't their a UFC Heavyweight Title on the line for UFC 45? I thought they were going to replace Sylvia as the champ...- Mark Lenthy - Columbia, Missouri

Bennett: Basically I haven't heard the official word from Zuffa, but I heard at one time that they wanted to put together Frank Mir vs Andrei Arlovski but couldn't because of an injury to Andrei. You will see a title match soon enough. I'm hearing rumors that if Mir defeats Wes Sims, then Mir vs Sylvia will be held for the title. For now though we will have to just wait and see.

Why is the UFC showing just one fight in the 155 weight division that doesn't even make pay per view? Will BJ Penn get the belt? - Jerry Sivulich- Miami, Florida

I personally think the UFC has been burned a little bit by the division in recent months. The UFC and the mainstream public like to see fights end by KO or submission. Look at the last big fight in the UFC at 155.

BJ Penn vs Caol Uno.... while very technical and a fun match for me to watch, I don't know if it was the most exciting fight in the eyes of the mainstream fans. If you look at recent history, the pressure now is on the guys at 155 to finish. If you look what has been going on, look at all of these big recent fights in the 155 division that have gone to decision, Uno vs Penn, Bang Ludwig vs Genki Sudo, Matt Serra vs Din Thomas, Uno vs Thomas, Penn vs Pulver, etc...

The fighters at 155 are some of the best pound for pound in the business and that division is the most stacked in MMA today. These guys though need to finish and until they do, I don't think you will see three matches on the same UFC card at 155 like we used to see on pay per view. Things are looking up though with impressive finishes by Hermes Franca and Josh Thomson.

Will Tito ever fight Chuck Liddell? It sounds like he is already ducking him for a future fight by saying if Liddell is defeated soundly in Pride, he won't fight him....David Cohn - Lake Park, Minnesota

I personally haven't seen Tito say those things. If he truly did said that then I am disappointed because he also said in the UFC 45 press conference he would fight Chuck. If Tito is worried about fighting Liddell because "he was defeated soundly", didn't I just see the man himself in his last fight get beaten soundly against Couture? I'm a big fan of Ortiz, I just think NOW is the time for a Liddell vs Ortiz matchup. I'm giving Tito the benefit of the doubt and would like to think Tito will face Chuck after the Pride Grand Prix concludes.

Do you feel Kevin Randleman should be upset by the racist comments in Japan as he was referred to as "Donkey Kong"? - LaMar Thomas - Atlanta, Georgia

I said this on the radio show yesterday, my perspective is coming from a white male who has never had to deal with racism. When I heard about the press conference with Sakuraba, I thought intitially this is a weird angle having Sakuraba wearing the Mario mustache and calling Kevin Randleman "Donkey Kong". Talking with a few people in Japan, everyone here in the States knows, the Japanese love the strange storylines. Bob Sapp has been in plenty strange commercials overseas.

I think Pride is capitalizing on the success of the Nintendo video game, not any sort of racism. Once again this is coming from a guy who hasn't had to expierence any sort of racism, (me), so if Kevin or any other African American is pissed off, they would know a lot more than I would.

From the comments on the SoundOff Forum, I've seen some people call this racist. From the oustside looking in, I understand it from both sides, however I think the remarks.need to be asked to Randleman if he is upset about it or if he thinks it's racist, not a caucasian talk show host who has never had to expierence any type of racism. Kevin Randleman can answer the question a lot easier than Ryan Bennett. (MMAWeekly)

---------------------------------------

UFC 44 PPV + Bonus Footage

10-21-2003 8:05 PM PST

Fight fans with DirecTV will receive a bonus the last week of this month when the network premieres Ultimate Fighting Championship 44: Undisputed Last Chance With Bonus Footage on channel 101 of its pay-per-view service starting at 6 a.m. EDT, this Friday, October 24. The three-hour, 21-minute special will also be available at 9:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. EDT that day. Replays will be telecast October 25-31 on DirecTV’s All Day Ticket. The suggested retail price is $29.95.

UFC 44: Undisputed Last Chance With Bonus Footage not only will offer fans the action and excitement of the original PPV show, but also behind-the-scenes footage as Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz prepares to defend his title against interim Light Heavyweight Champ Randy Couture and Heavyweight Champ Tim Sylvia preps for top contender Gan McGee. The real bonus for fight fans are two never-before-seen preliminary lightweight fights, undefeated Hermes Franca against Japanese veteran Caol Uno and Josh Thomson versus Gerald Strebendt. Viewers also will enjoy all the color and action of the big crowd at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and the interviews with the celebrities in attendance.

The UFC’s next live PPV event will be UFC 45: Revolution, its 10th anniversary fight, at 10 p.m. EST, Friday, November 21, from the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Ct. The suggested retail price will be $29.95. (Sherdog)

------------------------------------------

Fedor - RED DEVIL Bound!

Submitted by: Marcello Tetel

Posted On 10/21/2003

After having to pull out of his match in the next Pride Total Elimitation due to a finger injury, there is now other news from the world of the HeavyWeight Champion Emilianko Fedor. There are various reports that he is about to left or has already left the Russian Top Team.

The destination for the Russian champion would be the Red Devil team based out of St PEtersburg, Russia. The reasons though they are not confirmed yet, are focusing on the management aspect, since the Red Devil team has a strong partnership with the Dutch group responsible for the Golden Glory Team and the 2H2H promotion, which would nearly guarantee a better position with DSE.

Anpother reason is about the stand up experience that both Red Devil and Golden Glory team have. Is seems that despite excellent performances, Fedor understand he lacks stand up experience, and this would be a smart move for him to make his game more complete.

If this is not enough, we all know how intelligent Fedor is. For those with a long memory, Fedor declined the first chance to challenge then PRIDE champion Antonio Nogueira, and he studied his game for months before taking the match he eventually won. Fedor may be doing the same now, declining the opportunity to fight Cro Cop right now in order to improve his stand up game and look for weak point in the Croatian fighter.

'Minotauro' Nogueria will be facing Cro Cop in the next Pride for the interim heavy weight title and whoever wins gets a shot at Fedor down the road in 2004. Since Fedor already knows ( and proved so ) how to fight Nogueira, this is his time to get ready for Cro Cop.

http://news.adcombat.com/article.html?id=5169

----------------------------------------------------

On both rumours (if they are true)

-Big Daddy vs. Mir would be a fun fight to watch, in my view. I think Gary has a lot to prove - to others and himself - after the beating he took at the hands (or should I say fists) of Fedor. I think he has a good chance at winning this, as many have compared his brawling style to Ian Freeman - the man who demolished Frank Mir in an earlier UFC contest. Gary has an awesome sprawl and would be hard to take down, his stand up has improved (though you couldn't tell in his last fight) and the man has experience. A win here could definitely put Big Daddy back on the map. If Mir loses, the UFC could be fucked as they have been positioning him as a contender for the heavyweight title. Mir is a bit of a legend killer, having beaten both Tank Abbott and Pete Williams in quick submissive fashion.

Dan Bobish vs. Heath Herring - this could be really good, or really bad. Herring could be in this just for the win and would settle for a decision victory which would make for a boring fight. However, if there is something to be said about Dan Bobish, it is this: The man has yet to go to a decision. It's all depending on Herring.

Here's a really good Rampage interview.

Come to Papa

Rampage Jackson: Savage brawler, loving father

by Angie Driskell

Photo by Jeanne Rice

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson—mixed martial-arts maestro, No. 1 middleweight Pride Fighting contender, Costa Mesa resident—arrives in a fittingly beefy, black Ford Expedition with large, white letters spelling out Memphis across the windshield. He jumps from the driver’s seat, followed by a small entourage: his three-year-old son, D’Angelo, and a high school buddy, fighter Dave Roberts.

At six feet tall and 205 pounds of what looks like pure muscle, Rampage, in a bright-red Unbreakable T-shirt that strains over the loaded canons that are his arms—arms that have pummeled and pounded his opponents—gently lowers his boy to the ground and helps him fold down two fingers to show his age without flipping you off.

This docile father is the same titan who brawled it out in Japan Aug. 10 in Pride Fighting Championship’s "Total Elimination" grand prix-style tournament. His performance there allowed him to move on to the November tournament title fight with a $200,000 prize and bigwig status.

Pride Fighting, Ultimate Fighting, King of the Cage, mixed martial arts—it’s all basically the same: two men expertly trained to beat and be beaten upon enter a cage, intent on knocking out or overpowering their opponents for a substantial amount of money and respect.

Japan is absolutely gaga for the stuff, and Rampage is gaga for Japan. Early last month, he shocked all of Tokyo when he lifted their notorious Kazushi Sakuraba into the air cartoon-style—with one arm—carried him to the edge of the ring and nearly disposed of him over the side, not once but twice.

He began his training on the streets of Memphis. "Growing up in Memphis was rough, man," he says. "On the street all night, gone for two or three days at a time. I never had a childhood, so that’s why now, when I fight, I act the way I do. ’Cause now, I want a childhood."

He affectionately pats D’Angelo on the head as he recalls his own violent adolescence. "My family and I didn’t get along," he says. "My cousins named me Rampage when I was little because if things didn’t go my way, I would get so pissed that I would hyperventilate, go on a rampage, and destroy everything around me. They thought it was amusing, so they would continually torment me."

When Rampage was 12, he and a cousin got caught in an unfamiliar neighborhood where they were accosted by drug dealers. Rampage fought off the two men alone. "I was holding my own until one of the guys pulled a gun," he remembers. "I hit him in the mouth, he dropped the gun, and I tried to get my cousin to grab it. But he was crying like a baby and wouldn’t pick it up. Luckily, some people came and broke it up."

We’re sitting in a restaurant as he relates all this. A guy a few inches taller and wider than Rampage cautiously approaches the table to ask if it would be okay to get a picture with him. Rampage immediately stands to shake the guy’s hand. "Sure, man," he says. "You want me to grab the chain?"

The brawler rushes to his car and grabs his trademark steel chain-link necklace. He models next to the fan in fighting position.

He says there are things he can’t stomach because of his impoverished youth, things like "ghetto apples"—white onions—and sugar sandwiches. "From those days," he says, "there are things that I still don’t eat."

The thing is those days are just four years ago. These days, he trains in Tustin and fights in Japan. But he’s no sushi connoisseur. "I eat American food [in Japan]. All of the other guys try and eat that damn Japanese shit. My opinion is that they eliminate taste from it," he says. "I just eat at the Wendy’s and the McDonald’s."

"McDonald’s!" D’Angelo shouts.

"Yeah!" Rampage says lovingly. "McDonald’s, huh?"

Rampage took his talent for fighting into high school wrestling. After that, he says, "I was just looking to get back into athletics." Roberts introduced him to the world of mixed martial arts. "I’m like, man, I could fight and get paid and not go to jail? It’s like killing two birds with one stone!"

Just two months into his jiujitsu training, Rampage won his first mixed martial-arts fight at the International Sport Combat Federation competition in Memphis. He moved to Orange County to train first with Brazilian jiujitsu expert Fabiano Iha and then with Collin Oyama. He’s hopelessly devoted to Oyama, saying that if Oyama retired, he would, too.

"Team O-yem-ah. It means Big Mountain," he says.

"Yeah! Big Mountain!" echoes D’Angelo.

His regimen consists of rising at 9 a.m. to attend jiujitsu and wrestling training in Newport Beach with Brazilian black belts. At 1 p.m., he returns home for rest. At 7 p.m., he heads over to Punchout Gym in Tustin, where he runs a timed two miles and either spars, hits the bag or "does some drills."

"I do that five days a week. And then Saturday is the hardest training of all," he says. "I’ve got to be at Tustin High at 10:30 a.m., so there’s no clubbin’ Friday night. Coach will either make us run for time, do sprints, jump the bleachers or carry people on our backs. It’s always something hard."

Rampage insists he’s lazy. "I don’t like to train. But it’s my job. Most people train tough eight weeks before a fight. I pretty much train all year round. . . . I think that’s why I’m so lazy."

He loves Japan. "There are some freaks over there, a whole country full of freaks," he says, a bit wide-eyed. "Trust me. I know. ’Cause I love them Asian women. When I go there, I am like a kid in a candy store, and they love chocolate men over there! One time, there were these two old ladies—they had to be 60—who wanted to take a picture with me. They were, like, ‘Jackson, Jackson.’ And then one of ’em grabbed my ass!" he says, shocked. "They also put stuff in the newspapers over there that would never be in the papers in the States. Like, they’ll have a picture of a fighter winning his match and another right next it of some guy getting a blowjob—they kind of black it out, but you can still tell."

He stops.

"I’ve got to watch my language in front of my boy," he says, looking down at D’Angelo. "He’s a parrot right now."

(OCWeekly)

http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/04/08/outdoor-driskell.php

Big Daddy addressed this rumour on Sherdog, he's not in negotiations to fight.

*NOW* there is a rumour about PAT SMITH vs. Frank Mir.

MMAWeekly.com can confirm that Pat Smith has a contract in hand to sign to fight Frank Mir. Smith told MMAWeekly.com late Friday Night "I'm so excited to have a shot again in the UFC. It's great since it's their 10 year anniversary and everything." Smith said he expected to sign the dotted line on Saturday and said the timing is right as he is in the best condition of his life, as he just won a fight in Ring of Fire last weekend. MMAWeekly.com will have more on this story a little later....

(Via SherdogMB)

... Oh boy.

Of all things to find educational... even with THIS in the article:

’Cause I love them Asian women. When I go there, I am like a kid in a candy store, and they love chocolate men over there! One time, there were these two old ladies—they had to be 60—who wanted to take a picture with me. They were, like, ‘Jackson, Jackson.’ And then one of ’em grabbed my ass!" he says, shocked. "They also put stuff in the newspapers over there that would never be in the papers in the States. Like, they’ll have a picture of a fighter winning his match and another right next it of some guy getting a blowjob—they kind of black it out, but you can still tell."