TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Just J

The OaO 2003-2004 NBA Season Thread!

Guest Redhawk

In NBA news:

Vernon Maxwell is in jail for not paying child support. He owes $160,000 and is up on felony charges.

Shawn Kemp is part-owner of and will play for the Oklahoma Storm of the USBL.

I bet the arguement is going to be that the Nuggets is a better team in which Carmelo Anthony does not have to carry them. Where as Lebron is carrying the league on his back.

I get that argument...but I point to the playoffs as the line in the sand. On one side of the line...it doesn't matter where you finish because you can't win it all. On the other side...Melo's team made it.

If this was a year where one guy was clearly better than the other...then that's fine.

But what we've got here are two guys in a statistical dead heat...one of whom was the leading scorer on a team that made the playoffs...and the other who is the bigger star because dominating kids in high school is better than dominating men in college as a freshman.

When does a teams record come into play when deciding ROY? Not saying Anthony isn't deserving, haven't decided yet. It's just I hear people say Denver had the better record. So what. Isn't it about the best numbers for a rookie.

How could they say Sura wasn't attempting a shot? Okay, I know he missed on purpose, but does it not count as a missed free throw when guys intentionally miss FTs at the end of a game? The NBA just wanted to send a message that Sura and Ricky Davis' actions won't be accepted. Personally, I don't see the big deal. It's not like Sura is going to challenging the Big O for the triple-double crown.

Here's Rashard Lewis in The Seattle Times, lamenting a possible trade this offseason: "I have a gut feeling that they are going to try and make some type of move because of the fact this is the same result we had last year. And looking at everybody on the roster, in order for this team to get somebody that they would like, the only people capable of doing that is me and Ray (Allen)."

Nice. So Lewis is basically saying "Everyone on this team sucks except for me and Ray."

No, He is saying they are the only players people would change their franchise for and he is right.

Carmelo ANthony's team is about 10 times better than Lebrons team. That could factor into the ROY too.

I still say split it. This is the best scenario as their numbers are identical, and both improved their teams greatly.

If they took Sura's triple-double away, they should take away the Nets' last basket against the Pistons.

Guest OctoberBlood

Even if the Nuggets nor the Cavs got into the postseason, Carmelo still derserves the ROY award.

Dwayne Wade, Bill Cartwright.  Bill Cartwright, Dwayne Wade.

Now, this isn't quite a fair assessment by them...Bird took the Celts from 29 to 61 wins in one year, and Magic's Lakers won the championship.

But I'm sure the point is clear.

Guest NCJ

Their numbers are not identical. LeBron averages about 3 more assit a game and it would be more than that if any of his post men could catch the ball other than it being thrown off the glass. What they did before they came into the league has nothing to do with it. LeBron is a better player all around. He plays better defense at a tougher position and is the unquestioned leader of his team at 19 years old. Carmello is the spark for his team, but he is definately not the team leader. I have no probloem with Melo winning ROY, but if I had a vote I would vote for LeBron.

Guest Redhawk
Another thought on Bob Sura's "triple-double, oops, never mind": The League said that since Sura wasn't trying to make the shot, that it doesn't count as a missed fielf goal and therefor his rebound doesn't count. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?? What about when a guy misses a free throw on purpose, either to let the clock run out or so his team can get a tip-in? Does that not count as a free throw attempt? If the League doesn't agree with what Sura and Ricky D. did as far as trying too hard for a triple-double, than tough shit. Going around bending rules to show their displeasure is pretty fucked up.

Well it's a good thing Portland were already out of the playoffs, if they were eliminated on a Kobe Bryant buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of the 2nd Overtime in the final game of the season i would have killed someone by now.

Another thought on Bob Sura's "triple-double, oops, never mind": The League said that since Sura wasn't trying to make the shot, that it doesn't count as a missed fielf goal and therefor his rebound doesn't count. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?? What about when a guy misses a free throw on purpose, either to let the clock run out or so his team can get a tip-in? Does that not count as a free throw attempt? If the League doesn't agree with what Sura and Ricky D. did as far as trying too hard for a triple-double, than tough shit. Going around bending rules to show their displeasure is pretty fucked up.

What Sura did was a bush league play. They should of just said no it doesn't count, end of discussion.

Guest Redhawk

Just because it was bush league doesn't mean it shouldn't count. It's bush leage to continually fire three-pointers when you're up by 20 just to get a record, but they can't disallow the attempts.

I agree. Its a dangerous move to disallow something because you don't like it, when there's nothing I'm aware of in the rulebook that allows them to do it. You have to keep stats by the book, even if you don't like it.

Guest OctoberBlood

I'm telling you people. Jiri Welsch is gonna be a S-T-A-R ... just wait and watch. ;)