TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Third Eye Blind

I'm a rock fan. Pretty much all I listen to is rock. However, as a songwriter myself, I'm a sucker for a great hook or some good emotional lyrics, no matter what the genre.

Third Eye Blind technically is a rock band, although they have a pretty poppy, Top 40 sound. I've always enjoyed their music when I've ehard it on the radio, but my interest never really went past that. However, a couple weeks ago I dug out some old CD's I got from Columbia House for free maybe 4-5 years ago, and 3EB's self-titled debut album was in there.

Upon further inspection, I have to say that this is one of the most surprisingly good albums ever. I have listened to it all the way through more than once, and it's very good. Stephen Jenkins has this innate ability to write amazingly catchy pop hooks that draw in the listener, at the same time somewhat masking the "taboo" topics he discusses in his lyrics, such as drugs and sex. The singles alone (keep in mind, these were played on teh radio) discuss oral sex, methamphetamine use, and suicide, among other things.

All in all, I have greatly enjoyed this album and it continues to grow on me with each listening session. It's even starting to influence my songwriting. I'm sure many of you heard at least the singles from this record when it was released, but I urge you to give the entire album a listen if you haven't already.

"God of Wine" is the best song off that album.

Have any of you ever heard the unedited version of "Slow Motion"? (From their ablum "Blue") Now that was a controversial song! Basically it was about murder and abuse, but told from the killer's perspective.

Here are the lyrics to the unedited version of "Slow Motion":

Miss Jones taught me English

But I think I just shot her son

'Cause he owed me money

With a bullet in the chest you cannot run

Now he's bleeding in a vacant lot

The one in the summer where we used to smoke pot

I guess I didn't mean it

But man, you shoulda seen it

His flesh explode

Slow motion see me let go

We tend to die young

What a brother knows

Now the cops will get me

But girl, if you would let me

I'll take your pants off

I got a little bit of blow we could both get off

Later bathing in the afterglow

Two lines of coke I cut with Drano

And her nose starts to bleed

A most beautiful ruby red

We'll remember these days

Urban life decays

And at home

My sister's eating paint chips again

Maybe that's why she's insane

I shut the door to her moaning

And I shoot smack in my veins

Wouldn't you?

See my neighbor's beating his wife

Because he hates his life

There's a knock to his fist as he swings

Oh man, what a beautiful thing

And death slides close to me

Won't grow old to be

A junkie wino creep

Hollywood glamorized my wrath

I'm a young urban psychopath

I incite murder for your entertainment

'Cause I needed the money

What's your excuse?

The joke's on you

Oh yeah

I'm a rock fan. Pretty much all I listen to is rock. However, as a songwriter myself, I'm a sucker for a great hook or some good emotional lyrics, no matter what the genre.

Third Eye Blind technically is a rock band, although they have a pretty poppy, Top 40 sound. I've always enjoyed their music when I've ehard it on the radio, but my interest never really went past that. However, a couple weeks ago I dug out some old CD's I got from Columbia House for free maybe 4-5 years ago, and 3EB's self-titled debut album was in there.

Upon further inspection, I have to say that this is one of the most surprisingly good albums ever. I have listened to it all the way through more than once, and it's very good. Stephen Jenkins has this innate ability to write amazingly catchy pop hooks that draw in the listener, at the same time somewhat masking the "taboo" topics he discusses in his lyrics, such as drugs and sex. The singles alone (keep in mind, these were played on teh radio) discuss oral sex, methamphetamine use, and suicide, among other things.

All in all, I have greatly enjoyed this album and it continues to grow on me with each listening session. It's even starting to influence my songwriting. I'm sure many of you heard at least the singles from this record when it was released, but I urge you to give the entire album a listen if you haven't already.

I'll probably hear it eventually while drivin' or somethin', but I just wanna say that drugs and sex are definitely NOT taboo anymore.

I'll probably hear it eventually while drivin' or somethin', but I just wanna say that drugs and sex are definitely NOT taboo anymore.

They are on pop/Top 40 radio stations, at least around here.

Guest stardust

I like the entire self-titled album, but admittedly, the three tracks I listen to the most on it are "I Want You," "Good For You," and "The Background."

Their first album was awesome. I also got to like "Jumper" and "How's It Going To Be". I prettu much like all the songs on it except for "Graduate"

And then I couldn't really get to like anything on their next album, Blue, except "Never Let You Go"

It's my favorite album of all time, by my favorite band of all time. Glad to see someone giving it some respect... :)

The last three songs (Background, Motorcycle Drive-By, and God of Wine) are the absolutely greatest closing moments of any album. Ever. I love it.