TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

The King of Fighters 2003 thread

New artwork from arcadia magazine:

1298_1.jpg

Eh...not what I would have picked, but still change is nice.

1292_1.jpg

Joe is here, pretty lame artwork but at least Joe is in the game.

And...

1297_1.jpg

The legendery wolf Terry Bogard!

I dont even care if the game plays like 95, after seeing even this little artwork I'm sold.

Edited by Renegade

Has there been any info on the partner system this time around? I hated the strikers and would just like a change for the better. Terry will once again be one of my fighters of choice just based of his sweet design.

Probably off-topic, but since it is your thread, mind if we make this also about the KoF 2000 and 2001 coming out on PS2, Ren?

I'm psyched for it...but kinda upset that a print ad I saw for it said 2K1 would have 3D polygonal backgrounds--hope that means just added and not replacing the old ones.

Ugh...horrible memories of Dream Match 99 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I think 2D sprites + 3D backgrounds usually isn't a good idea.

Probably off-topic, but since it is your thread, mind if we make this also about the KoF 2000 and 2001 coming out on PS2, Ren?

I'm psyched for it...but kinda upset that a print ad I saw for it said 2K1 would have 3D polygonal backgrounds--hope that means just added and not replacing the old ones.

Ugh...horrible memories of Dream Match 99 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I think 2D sprites + 3D backgrounds usually isn't a good idea.

For sure, I'm up for all types of kof discussion.

I'm pondering if I should actually buy the ps2 kof 2k/2k1 deal. I already own the dreamcast counterparts and the rom sets...but the fanboy in me will probably give in.

As for the backgrounds, I think 2d over 3d can work, but it needs to be done well. I personally like the backgrounds for CVS2, but only dreamcast since it doesnt suffer the horrible pixalation of the other console ports.

Andrew the bg's arent 3d, just prerendered.

Actually after seeing these pics I'll get the PS2 version too

Neo-geo:

1a.jpg

PS2:

game_ps2.jpg

And look at the character portraits! The most horrible thing about kof 2001 has been replaced.

sel_ps2.jpg

vic_ps2.jpg

Hm--so the ad lied? Well, judging from those screen shots the bgs look almost exactly the same, so it might not be bad.

Is that actually Yuri?! My, how she's changed...she actually looks Japanese for once.

Ryo looks like...uh...Ken now. Hm.

I honestly don't think I like the Terry art you showed in the original post. It's good to see that Terry has changed clothes instead of wearing the same stuff again, unlike a certain person who has been wearing the same stinky old gi for 20 years or so.

Of course, I don't know what the in-game sprites will look like, so probably it's just premature bitching.

I honestly don't think I like the Terry art you showed in the original post.  It's good to see that Terry has changed clothes instead of wearing the same stuff again, unlike a certain person who has been wearing the same stinky old gi for 20 years or so.

Never speak ill of the wolf!

Anyways I think the Terry art is the best out of the three (probably since he is fully clothed so you cant see the two million muscles that would be drawn on him.) His art for kof 2002 festival was much better (done by same artist).

I hope seeing Garou Terry means we will get new sprites for everybody (or more likely MOTW rips in some cases), but you never know with those folks...

I have never liked Tizoc. I say bring back Duck King once and for all.

I hope seeing Garou Terry means we will get new sprites for everybody (or more likely MOTW rips in some cases), but you never know with those folks...

I have never liked Tizoc. I say bring back Duck King once and for all.

If there were MOTW rips there would much less teams in the game.

I never liked Tizoc either, but as I said change is nice. If it was up to me however I would bring either Ric Stround, Krauser or even a teenage Rock Howard.

Perhaps Andy is in a new team with Mai?

Mai, Andy, and perhaps...hm, a new female fighter trying to steal Andy from Mai? :P

Incidentally, just what year does Mark of the Wolves take place? My DC version of the game doesn't say except for "10 years after winning the King of Fighters tournament." So that could mean one of the KoF games, or the original Fatal Fury (the tournament in the original Fatal Fury was called, yes, the "King of Fighters" tournament, long before Rugal made his own version in the KoF'94 game).

Its set ten years after the "Real bout" Fatal fury tournament. Since Kof 98 was a dream match tourney and was not part of the official kof timeline the actual king of fighters tournament for the year of 98 was held in southtown by Geese Howard and was strictly a one on one tournament. It's also the tournament where Geese Howard was officially killed and Terry found and adopted a young Rock Howard. So MoTW is set at 2008.

Although Real bout 2 and Real bout special are dream match games which are not considered part of the official kof timeline, only the first real bout game is.

Edited by Renegade

Thanks. And at least, we're rather certain Geese is dead in RB.

By the way, what do you think about the KoF GBA titles? I played the first one, but ended up trading it with a friend. It seems a little loose control-wise, although it looks good at least. I heard the second one is much better but isn't out in the US nor planned to be released here.

Speaking of which, from 411mania...

"Atlus is going to be publishing the GBA game King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood for the US market. There will be 21 characters, a story mode, and a special point system that will allow you to buy secrets. It'll be coming out this December.

(Credit goes to Games Are Fun)"

Thanks.  And at least, we're rather certain Geese is dead in RB. 

By the way, what do you think about the KoF GBA titles?  I played the first one, but ended up trading it with a friend.  It seems a little loose control-wise, although it looks good at least.  I heard the second one is much better but isn't out in the US nor planned to be released here.

I've got the first one, and its bad. Really really bad. Horrendous pre-nes style muffled sound. NO hit detection whatsoever (I swear I've actually managed to get passed Kim's DM by just going trough him) and terrible english translation. Also I'm not a fan of the control setup, I would have much preferred a NGP hold the button for heavy attack approach. The only thing its good for is to say you own a kof title for the GBA and thats about it.

Howling blood however is much better from what I've played. Although I've only played it sporadically at my friends since I dont really want to splash out on importing it. I got the Gba rom of it though so I might give it another try later.

Guest thrall585

Don't know why they are always a year behind in the years. A company making a game with a year in it will have it as 2004, King of the Fighters is always a year or two behind.

Well, they aren't really behind with this one since it still is 2003, although typically sports games are ahead (Madden 2004 coming out in 2003, etc).

Don't know why they are always a year behind in the years. A company making a game with a year in it will have it as 2004, King of the Fighters is always a year or two behind.

Because its set 1 year in the past :D

Guest Sakura

I wonder if this will be like Garou 2, storyline wise. Like will they show what happened to Rock and Kain after Garou?

Kain, Rock & Grant could be a team....

I wonder if this will be like Garou 2, storyline wise. Like will they show what happened to Rock and Kain after Garou?

Kain, Rock & Grant could be a team....

If you mean KoF 2003, no. Renegade said about that Garou takes place in 2008, so it wouldn't fit in storyline-wise. Rock would still be a kid.

Guest Sakura

Then why does Terry look like his older Garou self and why is Tizoc in? It must take place nearly before or after Garou.

Then why does Terry look like his older Garou self and why is Tizoc in? It must take place nearly before or after Garou.

I figure they wanted to change his character design more to Garou. Hell, he's been wearing the same outfits for 10 years or so, about time he changed, eh?

And here you go, this is Rock in KoF 2001 and 2002. Unless he hit a major growth spurt, it's impossible for him to be an adult in 2003. Then again, if Bao was able to fight in KoF 99, if they wanted to make him a fighter at this age then I suppose they could.

(On that note, anyone who has seen the KoF 99 art gallery may have noticed Bao's big secret.)

Tizoc's in it, but hey--maybe this is his debut in a martial arts tournament.

Of course, if KoF 2003 is announced to...you know, not take place in 2003, then I could be wrong. Wouldn't make sense to jump 5 years + ahead and mislead people in your game title.

Edited by AndrewTS

Guest Sakura
Of course, if KoF 2003 is announced to...you know, not take place in 2003

That's what I'm assuming is the idea.

No, Kof games actually have continuity to them (besides 2002).

...and 98 aka Dream Match 99.

Guest Sakura

Why wouldn't they be able to maintain continuity? From Tekken 2 to Tekken 3 there was a 19 year gap without a tournament. Same thing with a bunch of other fighting games. The only weird part is that KOF uses the year as the title.

Why wouldn't they be able to maintain continuity? From Tekken 2 to Tekken 3 there was a 19 year gap without a tournament. Same thing with a bunch of other fighting games. The only weird part is that KOF uses the year as the title.

Its king of fighters, its been a yearly tournament for almost ten years now. And to quote Andrew it would not work unless Rock was really taking his vitamins for the past two years. Kain and Rock didnt even meet each other until 2008, let alone form a team. If they named it king of fighters 2008 or even king of fighters: *insert title* then yes it would be acceptable. But due to the fact its king of fighters 2003 it needs to have continuity.

And Andrew I didnt mention 98 because Real bout is basically kof 98 (dreamatch 99 is strictly the dreamcast name). Only in 2002 has their not been an official kof tournament.

Edited by Renegade

I hate to break it to you guys but unless you're diehard KOF fans I can't recommend getting any of the KOF2K? games. I have them all on DC right up to 2K2, which was released in July and never got into any of them. They just don't seem very much fun.

Possible roster list so far (taken from the neo-geo forums)

New Hero Team: *New*, *New*, *New*

Garou Team: Terry, Griffon, Joe

Outlaw Team: Billy, Yamazaki, Gato

Japan Team: Benimaru, Shingo, Daimon

K' Team: K', Maxima, Whip

AOF Team: Ryo, Robert, Yuri

Ikari Warriors Team: Leona, Ralf, Clark

Female Team: King, Mai, Mary

Female Team 2: Athena, Hinako, *New* (this is probably not the Psycho Soldiers Team)

Korea Team: Kim, Chang, Jhun

Solo: Kyo, Iori

179_1.jpg

173_1.jpg