TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

The King of Fighters 2003 thread

I hate to break it to you guys but unless you're diehard KOF fans I can't recommend getting any of the KOF2K? games. I have them all on DC right up to 2K2, which was released in July and never got into any of them. They just don't seem very much fun.

While I appreciate the warning, I don't get what you mean. You're not really giving us anything tangible here. How aren't they very much fun? Drastic changes in the gameplay?

From Gamefocks linked to Gamespot...

More King of Fighters 2003 details

Beta-testers report new combat system, new characters, and changes in team lineups in SNK's upcoming arcade game.

TOKYO--Additional details on The King Of Fighters 2003 have surfaced from the beta test currently taking place in Osaka, Japan.

The King Of Fighters 2003 will be the tenth installment to SNK's King of Fighters series. While KOF 2003 will still adopt a three-on-three battle format, there has been a major addition to the game’s combat system. In previous releases of KOF, the game ran an elimination-style battle system where team members' order could not be changed once they were chosen before the match. KOF 2003 will have a tag-team match system, where the player can freely switch between the fighting character and the awaiting team members during combat.

In another major change, each match in KOF2003 will consist of a single, 60-count round for the player to beat the opponent’s characters. Veteran fighting game players at the beta testing acknowledge that the new system in KOF2003 is similar to Capcom’s “Marvel vs. Capcom 2”, but debated whether or not the time-count was too short for satisfying gameplay.

KOF 2003 also features new story elements, and a new character named Ash Crimson who uses flames as a weapon and other new characters, Sheng Woo and Duoron. Other notable changes to the character roster include Griffon Mask (Tizoc in English) from Garou: Mark of the Wolves replacing Andy's position in the Fatal Fury team, Shingo returning to the Japan team, and Choi's replacement by returning character Jhun in the Korea team.

In addition, two new teams will be appearing in the game. One is an outlaw team, which consists of Gato from Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and the returning characters Billy and Yamazaki. The Psycho Soldier team is gone, and Athena will be in a new team that consists of the returning character Hinako and a new character named Marin. The default roster of the game is listed below.

The King of Fighters 2003 is scheduled for release in Japanese arcades this December. The team lineups are as follows:

Main Character Team:

Ash Crimson

Duoron

Sheng Woo

Fatal Fury Team:

Terry Bogard

Joe Higashi

Griffon Mask (Tizoc)

Art Of Fighting Team:

Ryo Sakazaki

Robert Garcia

Yuri Sakazaki

Korea Team:

Kim Kaphwan

Chang Kohan

Jhun Hoon

Ikari Team:

Leona

Ralf

Clark

Outlaw Team:

Gato

Billy Kane

Ryuji Yamazaki

Female Fighters Team:

King

Mai Shiranui

Blue Mary

Japan Team:

Benimaru Nikaidou

Shingo Yabuki

Daimon Goro

KOF 99' Team:

K'

Maxima

Whip

Mystery Team (name unknown):

Athena Asamiya

Shijou Hinako

Marin

Individual Entrees:

Kyo Kusanagi

Iori Yagami

Individual entrees? Cue the fangirls saying "they certainly are!"

Between this and the new online FF, what's with all the fruity characters named Ash? Geez, revive the boss from Bare Knuckle 3 while you're at it.

The possibility of tagging in/out during gameplay is cool, though. They've been doing it in almost all of the Marvel/Capcom crossover games, Tekken has done it, same with the Rival Schools games, etc. So it's about time SNK followed suit.

What online FF? There is an Ash in XI?

I heard the boss of 2003 is somehow related to Rugal. How stale.

What online FF? There is an Ash in XI?

I heard the boss of 2003 is somehow related to Rugal. How stale.

My bad--I got confused. Ash from FFXII. I forgot they were working on both new games at once.

Ashley from Vagrant story was also pretty bad.

I guess Rugal's going to have to remain connected to KoF now and then somehow.

Ashe or whatever it will end up being is a GIRL though. Of course she's not going to look all manly. Van is the guy in XII.

They forgot to mention if you beat the leader of a team, that team loses.

Captain fall rules? Gah. :P

Well, tomorrow KOF 2000/2001 comes out for PS2!

They forgot to mention if you beat the leader of a team, that team loses.

Captain fall rules? Gah. :P

I think its a pretty good idea myself.

If it's an option, that's fine, but if you're stuck with it I don't like the idea.

Oh yeah, the 2000/2001 double pack. I will pick that up. I wish they'd release 2002 here for PS2.

I like the idea of tag and captain fall. Even if it is weird. At least it something new and fresh.

And thank god Choi is out. I hate that little bastard. Too bad he is still stinking up CVS Chaos.

Oh yeah, the 2000/2001 double pack. I will pick that up. I wish they'd release 2002 here for PS2.

I like the idea of tag and captain fall. Even if it is weird. At least it something new and fresh.

And thank god Choi is out. I hate that little bastard. Too bad he is still stinking up CVS Chaos.

Eh? Why all the hate? Myself, I have a special place in my heart for the little Freddy Kreuger.

The tag part isn't weird, since it's been done in many other games. However, you'll have to protect your cap'n at all costs--so it adds stragety I suppose.

I just hate his design. He looks so dumb.

KOF 2001 & 2000 got delayed. Both Gamestop and EB now say it ships in December. :angry:

But I got X-2 today...

Yeah, NOW I find out about the delay for KOF2K&2K1. I appreciate the thought, though, Sakura.

To be more specific, it's supposed to be December 10. I asked about Metal Slug 3, and right now it's supposed to be mid-April.

Enjoy X-2, though. :P

Why is Geese alive?

Well, I think I have an explanation. The end of KoF 2003 reveals that some previously dead people are no longer dead.