TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JangoFett4Hire

Manny Ramirez

News reports: Sox place Manny on waivers

In a surprising move, the Red Sox put Manny Ramirez up for grabs, placing the All-Star outfielder on irrevocable waivers last night. That means any team can have him if it is willing to pay his salary.

Reports have both NY teams and LA interested.

Should Manny leave, the Sox better be sure to sign Garciaparra, Nixon, Varitek, Pedro, Lowe and Ortiz to long-term extentions AND bring in someone like Madduz (maybe) or Petitte. But they'll probably lose all of them. :(

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think it's a good move. You lose the attitude and get his salary to spend.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I just got a picture of Theo sticking his chin out yelling "Hit me!" and Steinbrenner desperatly trying to hold himself back.

What the hell? Do the Red Sox have some sort of genetic disposition to just let go of their best players without getting anything in return?

Theo is rapidly losing his "Boy Genius" moniker.

Guest Choken One

Duqette won't take Manny's Ego and Contract, Steinbrener wants Vald HARD and LA is possible but I'm feeling Manny stays in town.

Guest NCJ

Their crazy. Ramirez was the one guy in the playoffs who consistently gave them good hitting. I can't believe this. If you don't think someone will pick him up you are crazy. I don't know if NY will get Vlad because of how low key he is. Vlad reportedly dosen't like alot of attention and just wants to continue to produce without being the focus of everyone.

Guest FrigidSoul

read the new Gammons article, Manny requested a trade at the end of the season.

Fuck Manny and the horse that he rode in on. The team will be better off without him; $20 million could sign two or three players that will help the team more than he would have.

I don't care where he goes, let him spread his cancer elsewhere.

Shit, if he goes, what'm I gonna do with my Manny jersey

Dammit, I should just invest in generic no-name jerseys from now on

Guest NCJ

If he requested a trade you trade him, but if you put him on waivers you lose him with nothing in return except his salary. The Red Sox really need to think about this. The only person they could sign who would be comparable is Vlad, and I really don't think Vlad wants to go to that big of a market. I could be wrong, but unless they already have something in place with someone's agent this is definately an idiotic move.

If he requested a trade you trade him, but if you put him on waivers you lose him with nothing in return except his salary. The Red Sox really need to think about this. The only person they could sign who would be comparable is Vlad, and I really don't think Vlad wants to go to that big of a market. I could be wrong, but unless they already have something in place with someone's agent this is definately an idiotic move.

With his money though, they could re-sign Varitek, Trot and other key players while still being in the hunt for a Millwood, Maddux or such on the FA Market

Really, if Vlad doesn't want to play in New York, why the fuck is he going to want to play in Boston, which is even more demanding of a market?

Guest NCJ
treble charged Posted on Oct 30 2003, 12:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really, if Vlad doesn't want to play in New York, why the fuck is he going to want to play in Boston, which is even more demanding of a market? 

Exactly what I said. It is a terrible move to just put him on waivers and not try to trade him. The fact is Vlad ain't coming to Beantown. There isn't a pitcher available that is worth what many gives. Only Nomar is probably going to have a season comparable to what they just had. It is not a good move unless no one would give them anything for him in a trade which I just can't believe. If they wanted pitching L.A. has guys that I know they would be willing to trade for. They could easily pick up Curt Schilling without touching him. Again, unless they had no choice this is the most idiotic move they could have made.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

you Sawx fans are all overreacting. Whoever claims Manny also has to claim his 5 year $100 million contract, and we all know there's only one team who would even consider it.

Manny's very good, but he's also overpayed. Boston probably wants to dump him to use the money elsewhere.

And the last few posters are right, Vlad wants no part of either Boston or New York. He actually likes the lack of attention he gets in Montreal. I'm not saying he'll stay there (no chance) but I don't think he'll end up on one of The Big Franchises.

I think is a good idea to just put him on waivers. If they trade him they would probably have to pick up at least 30 million dollars on his contract. Maybe they would rather have that 30 mil than whichever players they got in return.

Guest FrigidSoul

Well this is Theo's way of trying to get out of Duquette's mistake. He can use Manny's money to resign Lowe, Nixon, Nomar, and possibly Tek for a couple more seasons till our minor league catching prospect is ready. He can also use it to sign David Ortiz long term. I also believe unless Pedro is willing to drop his pricetag he won't be back after 2004. The team will offer him arby and hope he doesn't accept it but signs on somewhere else long-term thus getting them a couple draft picks since Pedro would be a Class A Free Agent.

I'd love to see the team go after Colon. He's a workhorse and if the team could get him to drop 10-15lbs he could be the team ace for years to come, he's also not injury prone. a 1-2 punch of Colon and Lowe is something real good to build off of along with Wakefield who is signed for 3 more years and an up and coming pitcher by the name of Bronson Arroyo.

To be honest it would be extremely good for the Red Sox to part ways with Manny and Pedro who are a combined $38mill next year, which in this market isn't good along with the constant headaches they are. They could easily get 2 top tier pitchers and a decent OF replacement...say like a Juan Encarnacion or something to that affect.

Its no secret the Red Sox are trying to drop payroll but its so they can use said payroll on better decisions. Theo is a very smart GM

I'd also like to point out how people say the Boston fans and media are hard but if you notice they are hard on players who do dumb things. Players like David Ortiz, Kevin Millar, Trot Nixon, etc are all treated extremely well because they give 100% on the field and don't cause off field turmoil

Guest NCJ

I still say they should have tried to trade for Colon. Manny is a problem off the field, but he is still the best hitter in the AL. Losing him without getting anything in return is a mistake. I will wait and see how this plays out before a final judgement, but this just dosen't seem like a good idea.

I really don't think that Boston is a terrible market, but when someone makes a mistake in Boston they never live it down.

Guest FrigidSoul

They would be getting something in return though, $100mill in guarenteed salary back. If they can use it to resign Nomar, Trot, Tek, and Lowe its like trading Manny for those 4.

There's a rumor that Arizona could be interested, we give them Manny and get Schilling, Mantai, and Spivey in return. I would do that deal in a heartbeat but it sounds one sided so I'm really taking it with a grain of salt. Especially since Arizona wants to reduce payroll (which it would only be doing by like $3mill with that deal)

Guest FrigidSoul

I still believe MLB will do everything possible to keep Vlad in Montreal. If he does leave I see him headed to Baltimore

I still say they should have tried to trade for Colon. Manny is a problem off the field, but he is still the best hitter in the AL. Losing him without getting anything in return is a mistake. I will wait and see how this plays out before a final judgement, but this just dosen't seem like a good idea.

I'm not completely up to date on all the offseason rules, but can you trade for someone who is already a free agent and is thus not with any team?

And like others have said already, they would be getting $100 million back in their account to go after people.

Jason

Yankees: no interest in Ramirez

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff, 10/30/2003

The New York Yankees have ``absolutely no interest whatsoever'' in picking up Manny Ramirez off waivers, an industry source told the Globe Thursday afternoon.

The Red Sox placed Ramirez on irrevocable waivers on Wednesday, according to baseball sources. Teams have until 2 p.m. Friday to make a claim for Ramirez.

The Yankees, who were one of the teams thought to have enough money to pick up the rest of Ramirez' contract (5 years, $101.5 million), are now apparently out of the running.

Other teams said to have an interest in Ramirez include the Dodgers, Tampa Bay, Baltimore and the New York Mets.

If no team claims Ramirez, he will remain with the Red Sox next season.

Ramirez hit .325 this year, one point behind teammate Bill Mueller for the AL batting title, and had 37 homers and 104 RBIs. The Red Sox won the wild card and advanced to AL championship series before losing to the New York Yankees in seven games.

Guest FrigidSoul
I'm not completely up to date on all the offseason rules, but can you trade for someone who is already a free agent and is thus not with any team?

And like others have said already, they would be getting $100 million back in their account to go after people.

Jason

No you can't. Teams have until Nov 10th to resign their free agents and then the free agents get to talk to other teams.

Only way you can trade somebody who is in a way considered a free agent is if the player is only eligible for arbitration, and then you're really only trading the rights to that player...the team can then go and decline to offer said player arbitration thus making him a free agent.

I cant imagine any team taking Manny's 20 million a year/ 100 million contract. Hes good for a .320 avg and 35 hr, but he's gonna cause a ton of problems, and hes just not worth it. No ones gonna help Boston out like that, since if someone picks him up they'll have money to spend on free agents and to resign players as well.

I'm almost positive in every way that Theo and Co. have been shopping Manny since the day he took over the GM duties. NO team wants to give up good prospects or players for Manny and his sick ass contract.

As for Boston's side of trading him, if they traded him, they would end up jjust getting stuck with some other team's garbage and THAT shitty players' contract. Therefore by waiving him, they just give any team the chance to take him off their hands without Boston having to take on a bad player with a bad contract. It all does make sense.

Also if nobody picks him up, which i'm sure nobody will, maybe....just MAYBE it pisses Manny off and manny actually produces like he used to, next year.

Also if nobody picks him up, which i'm sure nobody will, maybe....just MAYBE it pisses Manny off and manny actually produces like he used to, next year.

If it's proven that no one else wants him off waivers, and he has a guaranteed contract with Boston, why would he want to produce? He'll feel like an outcast from the team and will probably go the route of "Operation: Shutdown" like Derek Bell with the Pirates.

Such a dumb move to put him on waivers (then pulling him back) instead of just putting him on the trade block.

He IS on the trading block, has been since Theo got here. Fortunately the Sox don't seem to be stupid enough to trade him for someone else's problem, which is the ONLY way another team would take Manny and his contract.

Nobody wants him and his contract. End Of Story.

Hey, Vlad can come to Philly. I'd take him over Abreu any day of the week.

You and me both. Abreu is one of my pet peeves with the Phillies in that I really don't feel like he lives up to his potential.

I think that Vlad doesn't want to go to NY because of the size of the city, not necessarily the pressures that go along with playing there. So, I could see him having interest in Boston as it's a lot smaller and more of a towny feel than NY.