Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

The Flaming Lips

Overrated or Amazing  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Overrated or Amazing

• Overrated
    • Amazing

Well, The Flaming Lips are loved by critics all over the place, but do you people think they deserve the praise they get.

I think on CD they ain't that amazing, with exception of a couple of songs ( 'Buggin' and 'Do You Realise' are examples ) but live, they ARE amazing.

Guest Derek Bailey

"Ain't that amazing" on CD? In my opinion they've been close to flawless on album since 1990. They're also one of few TRULY innovative bands in the mainstream today, and at no stage while evolving did they lose the qualities that made them great in the first place. Give more details on why you think that they're less than amazing on CD, please.

"Ain't that amazing" on CD? In my opinion they've been close to flawless on album since 1990. They're also one of few TRULY innovative bands in the mainstream today, and at no stage while evolving did they lose the qualities that made them great in the first place. Give more details on why you think that they're less than amazing on CD, please.

Personally, I think they just sound too lifeless and unemotional on record, kinda one-dimensional. Mainly, it's because I don't like the production or Wayne's voice that much, but also because they seem to be trying too hard to be unalternative. It seems like every song I hear has some sort or wacky noise going on in the background somewhere that could easilt be removed and make the song better.

I can see why people would like them, but to me they're merely good, not great. Grandaddy did the same sort of thing much better (or at least more to my taste) on "The Sophtware Slump".

Guest Derek Bailey

Personally, I think they just sound too lifeless and unemotional on record, kinda one-dimensional. Mainly, it's because I don't like the production or Wayne's voice that much, but also because they seem to be trying too hard to be unalternative. It seems like every song I hear has some sort or wacky noise going on in the background somewhere that could easilt be removed and make the song better.

I can see why people would like them, but to me they're merely good, not great. Grandaddy did the same sort of thing much better (or at least more to my taste) on "The Sophtware Slump".

I partially agree with your point about wacky noises, but only really for their early Warner stuff. While the power drills and whatever else that was being thrown into the background then was pretty superfluous and could detract from the song, I don't see the same for the more recent material. The equivalent background stuff seems to be more of an essential part of the whole than a separate entity, to me. I can see why people wouldn't like the production and Wayne's voice, but I think that the bombastic, possibly overproduced nature can be fitting to the songs (in a similar way to the production of Lover, You Should've Come Over and some other songs on Grace) and that Wayne's voice is emotive enough to make up for his obvious weaknesses.

Funnily enough, my view of Grandaddy is not too far away from yours of The Flaming Lips.

Zurieeka! or however that is spelled... is one of the greatest ideas for an album i've ever heard... and i highly reccommend it.

I like The Flaming Lips, but I personally think the idea was the most useless, pretentious, and downright shittiest idea ever.

Maybe it's just me.

I only own 'Soft Bulletin' and its a bit uneven overall IMO. There's a unique atmosphere and sound to the record but only a select few tracks stand out as being outstanding enough to warrant the album of the year type reviews it got. I love some of it though. I've always liked Grandaddy but I reckon their best album is 'Under The Western Freeway' which was released before they started to get more widespread notices for Sophtware Slump

I've always liked Grandaddy but I reckon their best album is 'Under The Western Freeway' which was released before they started to get more widespread notices for Sophtware Slump

Yeah, I preferred freeway too.

I havnt heard the third album. I enjoyed them at Glastonbury...although I did have a large amount of vodka running through me which may have helped this.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist
Zurieeka!  or however that is spelled... is one of the greatest ideas for an album i've ever heard...  and i highly reccommend it.

I like The Flaming Lips, but I personally think the idea was the most useless, pretentious, and downright shittiest idea ever.

Maybe it's just me.

Was that the legendary four albums that were released at the same time and designed to be played on four different steroes all at once?

If it was, then I'd agree with it being a downright stupid idea

I've always liked Grandaddy but I reckon their best album is 'Under The Western Freeway' which was released before they started to get more widespread notices for Sophtware Slump

Yeah, I preferred freeway too.

I havnt heard the third album. I enjoyed them at Glastonbury...although I did have a large amount of vodka running through me which may have helped this.

The third album is probably their worst yet. It just sounds like them going through the motions.