TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

As a Cubs' fan, I too do not see why the Cubs are getting killed over the Choi/Lee trade. Choi looked absolutely lost at the plate for most of last year, didn't hit for a tremendous amount of pop, and I can't count the number of times he struck out with a runner in scoring postion.

It isn't as if the Cubs got a garbage player in return. Derrek Lee is a damn fine fielder with a proven, reliable bat, which is something the Cubs need in the middle of that order. He's fairly young as well, only a few years older than Choi.

Perhaps Hee Seop wasn't given a "fair" chance this year, between splitting time with Karros and after the run-in with Wood, but when you can get a proven major league talent for a prospect that didn't show too much last year, you do it 90% of the time. Or at least I do. Nobody really knows who wins this trade until at least two years from now...

MLB.com reporting that Mike Lowell has resigned with the Marlins for 4 years-32 million.

Also, because the Marlins didn't offer salary arbitration to Pudge, they have until December 7th to sign him. I have no idea what this means, anyone like Al have an idea?

Guest FrigidSoul
MLB.com reporting that Mike Lowell has resigned with the Marlins for 4 years-32 million.

Also, because the Marlins didn't offer salary arbitration to Pudge, they have until December 7th to sign him. I have no idea what this means, anyone like Al have an idea?

If they don't offer him arby then after Dec 7th they can't negotiate with him until May 1st

Guest Anglesault
Yanks Eye Trade For Kevin Brown

Brown is an injury risk, but when he's healthy he's a downright scary pitcher. Except for 2002, he's had a 3.00 ERA or lower the last eight years. And he started 32 games last year.

Do it do it do it do it do it.

My God, I'd take the decomposing corpse of Cy Young for Weaver

AND SIGN PETTITTE!

Well, last I heard no. Pudge wanted a high figure and the Marlins had a 2 year, 15 million dollar offer. However, after getting rid of Derek Lee, they've upped the offer to 2 years, 20 million. I think if Pudge really wanted to stay, he'd do it for 2 years at 10 mil a piece. But who knows what his thought process is.

Guest Anglesault
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...ster&id=1676041

GREAT article on the Yankees and Steinbrenner falling into his old pattern. It's what I've said for the last two years: once Big Stein takes control of the team from Cashman, it's going to be a free-fall to the bottom.

Good Lord, the man brought up the Dennis Rasmussen year. It's not that fucking bad.

Guest FrigidSoul

Brown is an injury risk, but when he's healthy he's a downright scary pitcher.  Except for 2002, he's had a 3.00 ERA or lower the last eight years.  And he started 32 games last year.

AND SIGN PETTITTE!

It'll cost the Yanks Nick Johnson as well, not to mention they would have to eat some of Weaver's contract.

Kevin Brown's back aint gonna hold up, so go for it

and with Brown they most likely run out of contention for Pettite

Guest Anglesault

Brown is an injury risk, but when he's healthy he's a downright scary pitcher.  Except for 2002, he's had a 3.00 ERA or lower the last eight years.  And he started 32 games last year.

AND SIGN PETTITTE!

It'll cost the Yanks Nick Johnson as well,

Aw fuck.

Damnit. We couldn't get a bag of balls for just Jeff Weaver. I should have known that.

Why's that?

Guest FrigidSoul

Why's that?

Well they would have 4 starters in

Mussina

Brown

Lieber

Contreras

right there that is over $50mill...Yankees sign Pettite and they have a rotation of over $60mill.

Guest FrigidSoul

the Yankees payroll will be ballooned over $200mill easy, their farm system will remain depleted, and they'll head into a situation where the 80s looked good

I'm not complaining, but its food for thought on your end

Guest Anglesault
the Yankees payroll will be ballooned over $200mill easy

Oh well.

their farm system will remain depleted

And not signing Pettitte and trading for Brown will magically add people to it?

and they'll head into a situation where the 80s looked good

Speculation.

The Yankees MUST get out of this rut they've been in for three years now. If they have to get Brown and Pettitte to do so, than so be it.

Guest FrigidSoul

if they don't resign Pettite they get draft picks from whomever does (because the Yanks will offer him arby) so yes, it would help the farm system if they didn't resign Pettite.

Guest Anglesault

Pettite is going to be strong for close to ten more years. 'll take him over prospects.

Guest FrigidSoul

Pettite is 31 and has had elbow problems, he has 6-7 years left tops...he won't be pitching till he's 41

Guest Anglesault

I thought he was a little younger.

Still, I'll take six or seven years more of sucess over nothing until these prospects come to form (and possibly nothing at all)

I care about now.

Right now, this team will win NOTHING.

That's unacceptable.

We can cross the "later" bridge when we come to it.

Guest FrigidSoul

and Jayson Stark is laughing his ass off right now on the radio about the Yankees going after Brown. He says it won't happen unless Pettite goes to Houston, Colon is no longer an option, Milwood is no longer an option and Omar Manaya says "No" to trading Vasquez

Guest Anglesault

Then forget about Brown and resign andy and David Wells.

And kill Weaver or something

Guest FrigidSoul

I hope all the Yankees starting pitchers are injured on opening day except for Jeff Weaver hehe

As a 49er fan the Yankees remind me a lot of those mid to late 90s 49er teams. Tons of talent but getting older and older every year and always trying to reload with quick fixes. They were always good and always in contention but couldn't win another Super Bowl. Finally by the end of the decade trying to reload instead of getting younger bit them in the ass and they found themselves at the bottom of the league in 1999.

Now with baseball economics being different and the Yankees being able to outspend anyone so that they never will have to truly "rebuild" (which is just a buzz word for gutting the entire roster and losing over 90 games for at least couple of years) but they may need to take a step back for a year or two and try to get younger. Of course being where they play and who they are and having fans like Anglesault who deem playing in two World Series in the last three years as unacceptable they will just continue the cycle they are on.

Not so bold prediction...the Yankees won't win another World Series this decade.

Guest Anglesault
. Of course being where they play and who they are and having fans like Anglesault who deem playing in two World Series in the last three years as unacceptable they will just continue the cycle they are on.

It IS unacceptable.

What is so "OMG GREAT" about blowing it (Not even bothering to show up in the 2002 division series or 2003 world series)

I agree that they should try to find younger players, but I don't know how they can do that. Our big prospect commited thirty errors at third base this year.

If they can find a way to get a younger team without giving up a year, I'mm all for it.

No its not unacceptable you've just been spoiled. Every year 29 of 30 teams don't win a championship. Maybe you'll understand one day.

One idea I would have for the Yankees to get younger is to trade Bernie Williams. If his knees are so shot that he needs to DH from now on then its time to cut the cord especially when they need Jason Giambi to DH everyday if they expect him to stay upright for his entire contract.

Guest Anglesault
The Yankees MUST get out of this rut they've been in for three years now.

fgjkdlfgnlfdgnqwoicmdslkdgnjkdfahAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

No its not unacceptable you've just been spoiled. Every year 29 of 30 teams don't win a championship. Maybe you'll understand one day.

No, it should be the goal and only acceptable destination of every single team (no matter what the odds) to win it all every year.

Of course, that simply can't happen. But so what?

If a fan has settled for "well, we didn't suck as much as we did last year" said team will never get anywhere.

Guest FrigidSoul

LaTroy Hawkins joins the Cubs 3years at between $12-15mill. Deal will be announced after Hawkins passes his physical.