TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest Anglesault
This is such fucking bullshit if this goes down. I am getting plain out sick of this crap.

What crap?

Guest FrigidSoul

ESPN says it would also cost the Yankees pitcher Jose Contreras and some minor league catcher. Yankees pitching staff would be

Brown

Mussina

Vasquez

Lieber

?

So they solve 3rd base and then fuck up their rotation and second base while doing so.

Guest Ghettoman

From what I read I the deal with the Red Sox didn't go through because whoever had the say didn't want A-rod resizing his contract so it was much smaller, which I think is bullshit. The deal was probably one of the worst things to happen to baseball in general with having perhaps the best player you have on a last place club and in a situation he couldn't escape for a while.

Guest OctoberBlood
This is such fucking bullshit if this goes down. I am getting plain out sick of this crap.

What crap?

Oh, yeah .. ok .. it's not obvious to a blinded Yankee fan.

They'll solve their 3rd base problem while creating a problem at second base, which will watch their payroll increase even more. The luxury tax will not be their friend if they go through with all of this.

They could care less about Salaries.

Also, CREATING a problem at 2B? Soriano IS a problem at 2B. Sure he's got a nice bat with a few nice holes in it, but he is very poor in the field at 2B. This trade would be a HUGE one-sided deal(as usual when it comes to Yankee trades) favoring NY.

...of course...it won't happen.

Guest FrigidSoul

ok AngleSault, your choices for FA pitchers go as follows

John Burkett

Pedro Astacio

Greg Maddux (who wants at least $10-12mill a year)

Guest Anglesault

What crap?

Enlighten me.

Guest OctoberBlood

What crap?

Enlighten me.

No. You know exactly what I'm talking about and you're just playing stupid because you disagree with me.

Guest FrigidSoul
Also, CREATING a problem at 2B? Soriano IS a problem at 2B. Sure he's got a nice bat with a few nice holes in it, but he is very poor in the field at 2B.

all they have to replace him is Eric Almonte and he couldn't even catch pop-ups last year. There's nothing on the market for 2nd base.

Guest Anglesault
Greg Maddux (who wants at least $10-12mill a year)

Bingo.

And I'm no so sure that Maddux won't ease off a little with his demands, since you know, no one wants him.

Edited by Anglesault

Guest FrigidSoul

The Cubs, Tigers, and Padres want him.

Your biggest problem is the Yankees are an AL team and Maddux likes to hit. Him and Hampton are probably the only pitchers left today that enjoy hitting.

Edit: Not to mention the fact he's no longer a strike-out pitcher and alot of his flyballs were grabbed by Andrew Jones. Lofton, Matsui, and Sheffield are not defensive masters.

Edited by FrigidSoul

Guest OctoberBlood

Your biggest problem is the Yankees are an AL team and Maddux likes to hit. Him and Hampton are probably the only pitchers left today that enjoy hitting.

And the Dodgers, I believe.

Guest Anglesault

::Looks desperately for Maddux on any of those rosters::

Not enough.

And hunch of all hunches, if it came down to the Yankees or the Tigers, he might feel inclined to a) take more money and b) be on a team that wins more than 60 games.

Edited by Anglesault

Guest FrigidSoul
And hunch of all hunches, if it came down to the Yankees or the Tigers, he might feel inclined to a) take more money and b) be on a team that wins more than 60 games.

Tigers would spend on him, they have money to burn after losing out on Tejada(they offered him double what they offered Pudge).

Not to mention the fact that the Tigers are no longer a Double-A team with Pudge, Carlos Guillen, Fernando Vina, Rondell White, and Jason Johnson.

Also since Maddux is a flyball pitcher if any AL park was suited for him it would be Detroit's

Oh goodie another A-Rod trade rumor. Hold on I need to go bang my head against the wall a couple hundred times.

BTW this rumor is probably bullshit because it would be idiotic to play A-Rod at 3rd. A-Rod is a Gold Glove shortstop and Jeter had the worst range of any regular shortstop in all of baseball last year. Does the New York media still think Jeter is a good defensive shortstop?

Guest Anglesault

Tigers would spend on him,

I don't deny that.

If George truly wants him, He'll spend more.

Not to mention the fact that the Tigers are no longer a Double-A team with Pudge, Carlos Guillen, Fernando Vina, Rondell White, and Jason Johnson.

Uhuh. So where do they finish?

Oh goodie another A-Rod trade rumor. Hold on I need to go bang my head against the wall a couple hundred times.

BTW this rumor is probably bullshit because it would be idiotic to play A-Rod at 3rd. A-Rod is a Gold Glove shortstop and Jeter had the worst range of any regular shortstop in all of baseball last year. Does the New York media still think Jeter is a good defensive shortstop?

GREAT point there. I completely no-sold the fact that Jeter would be the one that would need to move to 3rd. He would be better there anyways.

Therefore the trade cannot happen. Golden Boy won't want to move to 3rd.

in THAT pathetic division any team is a possibility.

The Yankees will be lucky to finish 2nd since Baltimore, Toronto, and Boston have all significantly improved, while the Yankees have stayed the same, if not worse.

The Yanks' defense will probably cost them 4-8 games alone. Toronto still has a solid offense now combined with a very capable pitching staff. Sox bring a great staff/bullpen and a dare I say, improved offense with the acquisitions of Daubach(Love the guy), Burks and Reese who also helps the D tremendously. Baltimore just doesn't have the pitching IMO so I'll predict the AL East order as...

1st Place: Boston(96-66)

2nd Place: Toronto(90-72)

3rd Place: New York(83-79)

4th Place: Baltimore(75-87)

5th Place: Tampa Bay(71-91)

Only way the Yanks can beat out Toronto(and maybe the Sox) is if they get some MAJOR pitching help and a very solid replacement defensively at 3B.

Guest Anglesault

Oh, PLEASE.

Baltimore still has no one who can pitch well enough to beat the Yankees more than they lose to them.

in THAT pathetic division any team is a possibility.

The Yankees will be lucky to finish 2nd since Baltimore, Toronto, and Boston have all significantly improved, while the Yankees have stayed the same, if not worse.

6 straight years (I think) of :

Yankees

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Orioles

D-Rays

..is probably going to end, even if its just a switch of the Yankees and Red Sox in first place. And lets all remember that Lou Piniella has guaranteed that the Devil Rays won't finish in last place this year. Being an Os fan, it would be awesome to have the Os finish higher than the Yankees but realistically I doubt that will happen. Im looking more towards 2005 in terms of the Os being able to actually compete for the Division.

Guest Anglesault
3rd Place: New York(83-79)

I honestly think I'd go on a rampage.

That would be a fucking DISGRACE.

Well my reasoning for that placement is the following besides the defense being near the bottom of the majors.

Kevin Brown can be decent however he is going to be 39 next year so I expect 12-15 wins, gives up nearly 1 hit/IP which may hurt him. Mussina is good for 16-18 wins and is a capable pitcher. Vazquez, despite having one good year of 16-11 has been barely .500 so he'll likely have anywhere from 9-12 wins. Jon Lieber's 2001 season was a fluke if you look at his career numbers. I think 9-11 wins would be normal here. Depending upon who the 5th pitcher is, they could do better/worse.

At worst, b/w the 4 current starters only they could get 46 wins or at best, 56 wins. The bullpen, offense and 5th starter have their work cut out for them if they really want to reach 2nd place because IMO and bias aside, the Sox have improved too much in all the problem areas of last year to finish anywhere but 1st as they have improved the starting rotation, bullpen and added more depth then they had last year on the bench.

Oh, PLEASE.

Baltimore still has no one who can pitch well enough to beat the Yankees more than they lose to them.

The Os Starting Rotation isn't that great, but the big factor is the fact that at least 3 of the pitchers are young and have a lot of upside (Ainsworth, Riley, Dubose). Ponson's going to have to be the #1 guy, and Rodrigo Lopez is going to have to prove that 2 years ago wasn't a fluke. Then next year between free agency (The Orioles will have money to spend next year) and the guys in the minors (John Maine specifically) the Rotation should be a strong point next year.

The one thing Os fans are holding on to is the fact that the offense should score more runs and give the pitchers more run support, something that the pitching staff hasn't gotten a lot of in the last 5+ years.

Guest Anglesault
Well my reasoning for that placement is the following besides the defense being near the bottom of the majors.

Kevin Brown can be decent however he is going to be 39 next year so I expect 12-15 wins, gives up nearly 1 hit/IP which may hurt him. Mussina is good for 16-18 wins and is a capable pitcher. Vazquez, despite having one good year of 16-11 has been barely .500 so he'll likely have anywhere from 9-12 wins. Jon Lieber's 2001 season was a fluke if you look at his career numbers. I think 9-11 wins would be normal here. Depending upon who the 5th pitcher is, they could do better/worse.

At worst, b/w the 4 current starters only they could get 46 wins or at best, 56 wins. The bullpen, offense and 5th starter have their work cut out for them if they really want to reach 2nd place because IMO and bias aside, the Sox have improved too much in all the problem areas of last year to finish anywhere but 1st as they have improved the starting rotation, bullpen and added more depth then they had last year on the bench.

I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying that I'm in no mood for an embarassing record and a third place finish right now.

You're underselling Vazquez there. His poor record is due to pitching for Montreal. With his peripherals, there's no reason he shouldn't compile a winning record. In fact, 20 wins is easily within reach.

Here's the problem with the Yankees. If the entire team stayed healthy, they'd be historically great. But they already have one serious injury. Brown has an injury history, as does Jon Lieber. With the little depth the Yankees have, the team could COLLAPSE. In which case, 83 wins is not out of the realm of possibility.

As for the trade, I'll believe it when I see it. BAD trade for the Rangers, as there is no appreciable pitching help on the market. No reason to trade A-Rod before the next offseason. They'll lose more games this season, and alienate their fans. The Yankees, meanwhile, would hold two players making $19 million and $25 million, counting on one of them to play third base. Between Rodriguez and Jeter, they've played one inning of third base in their careers, and that was A-Rod in the 2001 All Star Game.

I wish the Rangers would give up this trading A-Rod crap. They're not going to improve their team that way.

Guest Anglesault
. With the little depth the Yankees have, the team could COLLAPSE. In which case, 83 wins is not out of the realm of possibility..

DON'T TALK LIKE THAT.

My team is not gonna embarass me three years in a row.