TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest FrigidSoul

Tom, if your league isn't an NL or AL only league I'd like in please

Greg Anderson isn't just behind Bonds and now Sheffield, but also Jason Giambi who has lost 30lbs since Anderson and friends were raided.

Greg Anderson isn't just behind Bonds and now Sheffield, but also Jason Giambi who has lost 30lbs since Anderson and friends were raided.

He trains a ton of guys, but whenever the news stories come out, its always BONDS' Personal Trainer. Its disgusting.

Ok gang. I'm making my NL-only fantasy league available to the board in general. This league is a little tougher than the leagues you might be used to. I'm accepting 16 teams in this league. So basically you'll have to fill out your roster with outright bad players.

Its an auto-draft, rotisserie format league. Positions are C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF, 5 SP, 2 RP, 3 Bench, and 2 DL slots.

Fantasy Baseball Home

League ID: 15355

Password: thesmartmarks

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox owner John Henry thinks a salary cap could be good for baseball after watching the rival New York Yankees trade for Alex Rodriguez -- a deal his own franchise could not complete.

Henry, whose team failed to obtain Rodriguez from Texas in December, said in an e-mail response to reporters Wednesday that he is changing his mind on whether the sport needs a salary cap "to deal with a team that has gone so insanely far beyond the resources of all the other teams."

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner quickly responded, saying: "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction."

The Yankees' payroll is about $184.8 million for 25 signed players after they acquired Rodriguez from the Texas Rangers earlier this week in exchange for Alfonso Soriano and a minor leaguer to be named.

But the number would come down by about $4.8 million if third baseman Aaron Boone is released. Boston is expected to be second at about $125 million.

"One thing is certain the status quo will not be preserved," Henry wrote.

"There must be a way to cap what a team can spend without hurting player compensation ... without taking away from the players what they have rightfully earned in the past through negotiation and in creating tremendous value. There is a simple mechanism that could right a system woefully out of whack."

Henry's comments come after his team failed in its bid to land the reigning American League MVP.

The Red Sox tried to trade Manny Ramirez, who has the second-highest average salary in baseball, for Rodriguez. But talks fell apart because the team could not agree on how to divide the remaining $179 million on Rodriguez's contract. Boston and Texas were apart by about $15 million, and the Red Sox wanted Rodriguez to lower the present-day value of his contract by $20 million more than the players' association would allow.

"Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston," Steinbrenner said of Henry. "It is understandable, but wrong that he would try to deflect the accountability for his mistakes on to others and to a system for which he voted in favor. It is time to get on with life and forget the sour grapes."

The Yankees were able to absorb Rodriguez's salary in exchange for Soriano while Texas is assuming $67 million of the rest of Rodriguez's salary.

"Baseball doesn't have an answer for the Yankees," Henry said. "Revenue sharing can only accomplish so much. At some point it becomes confiscation. It has not and it will not solve what is a very obvious problem."

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7097874

He can go cry somewhere else.

He may be way behind the Yankees...but the rest of the league is behind him.

Boston blew it. Now...in true Boston fashion...it's time to deflect and complain.

I'm no Yankees fan...but I do take great pleasure in their continued owning of Boston.

Guest FrigidSoul

Not really, after the Yankees I believe it was Anaheim that added the most payroll this off-season with the additions of

Vlad, Jose Guillen, Bartolo Colon, and Kelvim Escobar

Not really, after the Yankees I believe it was Anaheim that added the most payroll this off-season with the additions of

I don't have details of their contracts handy, but I imagine they're backloaded. Aaron Sele and Kevin Appier come off the books after this season, at a savings of $20 million. They also dropped Scott Spiezio, and he made $4 Million last season.

Top 5 in 2004 Payroll

#1: Yankees($186.75)

#2: Red Sox($129.68)

#3: Angels($112.79)

#4: Cubs($92.77)

#5: Phillies($89.23)

Diff b/w Yanks & Sox: $57.07

Sox & Angels: $16.89

Angels & Cubs: $20.02

Cubs & Phillies: $3.54

Guest FrigidSoul

I don't have details of their contracts handy, but I imagine they're backloaded. Aaron Sele and Kevin Appier come off the books after this season, at a savings of $20 million. They also dropped Scott Spiezio, and he made $4 Million last season.

Eckstein and Kennedy got nice raises too.

Percival most likely retires and comes off the books next year either way.

Also as I said, the Red Sox have a lot of people coming off the books next year...I don't think anybody's contract is up on the Yankees side except for Rivera's and he'll be making more than his $8.85mill if they want to keep him.

I think Henry is bitching but I still say a cap of some sort is needed.

I mean the NFL has a projected $78.7 million cap next year which is up from $75.007 ... why can't they start at say $90 million and if a bunch are teams are up there then increase the cap by say $5 mill the next year or if most are below then lower the cap?

Edit: There should also be a floor of say... $40/50 million.

Guest Ghettoman

What a whiney slut.

He tries as hard as he can to play the Yankee game, and he fails, so what does he do? Whines about it? Eh.

Yankees will lose Boone's $5.75 Mill, Mariano Rivera's $10.89 Mill and Gabe White's $2.40 Mill contracts in 2005 assuming they aren't re-signed.

Juan Acavedo has a 2004 option buyout. Mike Lamb has an $8 Mill option for 2005. David Wells and Gabe White both have/had 2004 buyout options.

Red Sox will lose Alan Embree's $2.75, Nomar's $11.50, Derek Lowe's $5, Pedro's $17.50, Ramiro Mendoza's $3.60, David Ortiz's $4.59, Jason Varitek's $6.70 and Scott Williamson's $3.18 Million contracts.

Embree has a $3 Mill option in 2005 vested(?) with 50 appearances. Bobby Howry has a 2004 buyout option. Jeff Suppan has a 2004 buyout option.

Angels will lose David Eckstein's $2.15, Troy Glaus' $9, Ramon Ortiz's $2.42, Troy Percival's $7.50, Aaron Sele's $8.50 and Jarrod Washburn's $5.45 Million contracts.

Ramon Ortiz has an option for 2005 however.

So far I'm registered for four leagues, three as commish.

EDIT: From Yahoo's Help Page

How many teams or leagues can I have?

You can join any combination of four leagues (Public or Private; Head-to-Head, Rotisserie or Fantasy Points) with a single Yahoo! ID.

If you wish to participate in more than four leagues, you will need to register under a separate Yahoo! ID.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I think Henry's right actually. But asking for a salary cap is kind of a retarded thing to do when your team has the second highest payroll in the league.

I think Henry is bitching but I still say a cap of some sort is needed.

I don't even see how this game can be interesting without a cap. It's basically a game of who has the biggest bankroll and nothing more.

That would be so much an easier sell if the last three World Champions weren't Florida, Anaheim and Arizona.

Only Arizona had the "big name roster" stigma...and their payroll wasn't grossly high because everyone deffered money.

People who make this salary cap argument love to ignore the things that don't help their cause.

I hate the way the NFL does it. HATE it. So every team has a chance, every year? Where the fuck is the sport in that?

If Carolina would have beaten New England...it wouldn't have had ONE TENTH of the meaning that there was when Anaheim beat San Fran, or Florida beat the Yankees. Why? Because someone new wins EVERY YEAR. When 2 SuperBowls in 3 years (and no playoffs in the year between) has people bringing up the word "dynasty" there is NO substance to the wins. At least not in relation to what it's like to defeat the "Evil Empire" in the playoffs.

Football has great games. Baseball has legendary ones.

Both had great playoffs...with many great games. But ten years from now people will still remember Yanks/Sox game 7 and Cubs/Marlins game 5. People won't remember the details of the NFL playoffs by this time next year.

Football can have there cap. The NBA can have there cap. The NHL will have it's cap soon enough.

Baseball doesn't need one.

So far I'm registered for four leagues, three as commish.

EDIT: From Yahoo's Help Page

How many teams or leagues can I have?

You can join any combination of four leagues (Public or Private; Head-to-Head, Rotisserie or Fantasy Points) with a single Yahoo! ID.

If you wish to participate in more than four leagues, you will need to register under a separate Yahoo! ID.

Just signed up for a seperate Yahoo ID.

*Rube Cred*