TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Jay-Z, The Black Album

As most probably know by now, Jay-Z pushed his release date up to tomorrow to beat leaking to the streets. Anybody heard the CD yet (it's been on MTV.com all week to listen to for free).

I need to listen to it a few more times, but there are a few really hot songs on there. He'll be back though.

Just finished my first listen. On initial impressions, a lot of the songs - especially "My 1st Song," "Justify My Thug" (snicker), and "December 4th" - are as good as anything he's ever done. The production is all over the place and a little disjointed - it's weird going right from Eminem production into Rick Rubin. It is, however, even more of a just-Jay-Z album than The Blueprint was: aside from a couple background bits from Mama Jay-Z, Pharrell, and Cedric the Entertainer, it's just him. The rhymes are solid as always, though admittedly it seems as if there aren't as many jump-out-and-grab-you-with-their-brilliant moments as on his best albums.

Like any album, it'll take a few listens to really sort things out, but I like it very much thus far.

That shit is a thing of beauty. I love the fact that the production jups. It makes it impossible to get bored with it. It is a incredibly strong album lyrically and I must say that if he does really stop making music (hell drop a new album in 05...watch) this is a very good way to leave.

I listen to it and I can say that this album maybe 5 mic material. I don't like "Change Clothes" thats probably down side of the album. Lyrically, Jay brought his A-game on this one, The production is above average accept maybe Eminem's beat was average it sounded like "The Cross" beat he gave to Nas.

Guest T_Hunt

I think 99 problems the best but i realiazed any beat made or made for Eminem sounds alike. I knew it right when i heard it ,not to sound like a know it all, i knew it had to be a eminem beat.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I love this album and I usually lean towards calling Jay-Z overrated. This is one of the few albums that I can listen to all the way through. The timing of it has been great for me because I'm going through some shit with my girlfriend and there's alot of stuff that Jay-Z says that I can relate to. This music I can appreciate.

One of his best CDs yet. He really did a good job. 1st Song is one of his best ever and the greatest way to "close" a career. Jiggaman will be back though, just a question of when.