TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Jennifer Lopez Launches Lingerie Line

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/celebrity/...051.htm&sc=1403

NEW YORK (AP) - Jennifer Lopez has a new project: lingerie.

``Jennifer's femininity and signature style have made her a fashion icon and we are confident that JLO Lingerie will bring some new excitement to intimate apparel,'' Joe Gromek, president and chief executive officer of The Warnaco Group, said in a statement Wednesday.

The 33-year-old actress-singer has signed an exclusive global deal with Warnaco to manufacture and sell the collection, which will include bras, underwear and shapewear. There also will be a line of sleepwear and loungewear.

``I am honored to partner with Warnaco, an industry leader, to produce JLO by Jennifer Lopez Lingerie as an extension of my fashion company,'' said Lopez, creative director and co-founder of Sweetface Fashion Co.

Sweetface Fashion designs, markets, manufactures and sells the JLO by Jennifer Lopez sportswear collection.

The lingerie collection will be launched in fall 2004.

Denise Seegal, president and chief executive officer of Sweetface Fashion, said the goal is to ``dress our consumers from head to toe with products inspired by Jennifer, and lingerie will be an integral part of the JLO look.''

On the Net:

http://www.warnaco.com

http://www.jenniferlopez.com/

Great just what the world needs more overpriced crap with J-Lo's name on it.

Word is that she's going to cut up samples from other bigname pieces of lingerie and then sew all those together into a new piece

And speaking of J-Lo...

J.Lo may be glad, but the feeling's not contagious.

A former dancer who claims Lopez's video for the single "I'm Glad" is an unauthorized depiction of her life filed a suit against the performer in federal court in Los Angeles Thursday.

The plaintiff, Maureen Marder, served as the real-life inspiration for 1983's Flashdance, starring Jennifer Beals as a construction worker by day, dancer by night.

The movie in turn served as the inspiration for Lopez's video, which the former Fly Girl called an "homage" to the original.

Flashdance was a smash hit at the box office, becoming a cultural phenom--who could forget all those cut-off sweatshirts? Marder, however, earned only $2,300 for her contribution to the film, leaving her bitter and unwilling to grant sequel rights or permit any further use of her identity or story.

Twenty years later, Sony released the video for "I'm Glad" in spring 2003. Many of the defining and well-known scenes from Flashdance are featured--recreated à la Lopez. The video received positive reviews, played in heavy rotation on MTV and has been a commercial success--however, neither Jenny from the Block nor Sony ever thought to ask anyone's permission to make the video, and Marder has received nary a dime.

"Flashdance owes both its story and its soul to Maureen Marder," said her lawyer, Robert Helfing. "But she received almost nothing for her contribution, accepting a small sum of cash from the producers who told her the movie was only generally about dancing and would not feature the details of her life.

"In the last 20 years, she has tried to put that betrayal behind her, but she is penniless, disabled with a spinal injury, and trying to raise a teenage daughter. Now her life story is on the screen again--and other people are profiting from it--with no acknowledgement of her rights, let alone fair compensation for her contribution."

Helfing stated that he and his client tried to settle the matter out of court, but could not get Lopez to lend her attention to the matter.

"We tried to resolve this claim without litigation, but Sony and Lopez ignored us. And Paramount denies that Ms. Marder has any rights," Helfing said. "We filed the suit because Maureen can't let this happen to her again."

Camp Lopez remained mum on the topic of the suit, merely telling E!, "We don't think it's appropriate to comment on a complaint we haven't even seen."

This is the second time the video has drawn unwanted attention. Back in May, Paramount sent a letter to Lopez's record label claiming the "I'm Glad" clip was more rip-off than tribute. The studio claimed its copyright on Flashdance had been violated because Epic Records didn't ask (or pay) for permission. Eventually, the beef was dropped after the two sides reached an undisclosed deal.

La Lopez has been keeping herself busy of late, with the launch of a new line of lingerie through her Sweetface Fashion Company, numerous upcoming gigs in the show-biz world and future occasional cameo appearances on a daytime talk show hosted by sister Lynda.

Her quest to truly seal the fusion that is Bennifer is still apparently in the works as well--though where the nuptials will take place is up for grabs. Some reports say New York, some say California--we say, get it over with already.

So what if she starts her own lingerie line? I think it's a good idea, she is looking for another way to make money. It's called good business.

Guest Ghettoman

MoleSlayer your logic and good judgement frightens me, I feel you may be a witch for actually thinking straight, and not from the skewed perspective of a mindless hater.

*crosses fingers at you*

So what if she starts her own lingerie line? I think it's a good idea, she is looking for another way to make money. It's called good business.

Agreed. Hey, if Puff Daddy and Jay-Z can have their own lines, then why not Lopez? Let the public decide which $50 thongs they want to buy...

Guest stardust

Mole makes a very valid point. While some of us may not be the biggest JLo fans in the world, there are those hordes of mindless teenage girls who are fans. And those teenage girls will spend money if it has JLo's name on it. She's cashing in on her name, and she's smart to do so while she can, because five to ten years from now, she'll so be yesterday's news and everyone would have moved on to the next big untalented thing.

Mole makes a very valid point. While some of us may not be the biggest JLo fans in the world, there are those hordes of mindless teenage girls who are fans. And those teenage girls will spend money if it has JLo's name on it. She's cashing in on her name, and she's smart to do so while she can, because five to ten years from now, she'll so be yesterday's news and everyone would have moved on to the next big untalented thing.

Teen girls going crazy over lingerie? I'd like to see the shit storm that follows that.

...better take advantage of it while I can

Guest stardust

Have you seen the popularity of thongs amongst high school students? Look around at any "intimate apparel" section in any department store, or go into any lingerie store, and things are very youth-oriented. Yes, there are the cutesy things, but "sexy" is becoming more and more youth-oriented. And lingerie doesn't just mean fishnet stockings, garter belts, lacy push up bras and sheer babydolls. It also encompasses the not so sexy I'm-gonna-seduce-you fare. Lingerie isn't just the skimpy, sexy, lacy, see-through bras and panties, but lined bras, cotton bras, cotton panties, satin panties, silk stockings...the list goes on and on.

There will be plenty of 16-year-old girls who will want a JLo bra or a JLo thong or JLo boyshorts, and will be willing to spend mommy and daddy's money on said items.

There will be plenty of 16-year-old girls who will want a JLo bra or a JLo thong or JLo boyshorts, and will be willing to spend mommy and daddy's money on said items.

That will please all the horny teenage boys.

That will please all the horny teenage boys.

Too bad the girls themselves can't