TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

ClearSearch, Backweb, etc

My mom is a total computer paranoid freak....she's ready to crash when programs like ClearSearch, Backweb, and all those damn sidebars [Lycos, Second Thought, etc] get installed.

So how can I keep them from getting on my computer? This is, like, the tenth time we've gotten ClearSearch on our computer. Our friend says it comes from a site, like it's encrypted or something. So, of course, mom's all freaking out...and, of course, I get blamed for it. She's all 'whatever sites you go to that has this stuff, don't go to it!' Um, hello? Like I put this stuff on here on purpose???

The most annoying things about the programs is that they're hard to delete...like the files are read only or whatever. Which means you have to take it off read only, reinstall, repeat, etc.

*sigh* Anyway, any help at ALL would be totally appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!

It removes that stuff.

Ah, okay. I've gotten rid of the programs I mentioned above. So, would this stuff prevent those programs from coming back as well?

Yes, I know, I'm probably asking the dumbest of questions. But, as I said, my mom is totally paranoid about this computer...almost to the point of obession.

Guest I'm That Damn Zzzzz

Spybot SD has an "Immunize" feature which will stop most crap from installing.

Also get IE-SpyAd, it puts lots of bad sites in IE's restricted zone, preventing even more crap from installing.

Guest Razor Roman

If it says that you can not delete the file that is not because it's read only but rather because it is currently open. (Windows won't let you delete a currently open file), to stop the file from running, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and look at the processes that are currently running (not applications) and locate the file you want to delete. End it's process and then you can delete. If you're brave, you can also use RegEdit and search for the file name (example: Save.exe, for those stupid WhenU ads) and delete all its mentions in the registry.

If it says that you can not delete the file that is not because it's read only but rather because it is currently open. (Windows won't let you delete a currently open file), to stop the file from running, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and look at the processes that are currently running (not applications) and locate the file you want to delete. End it's process and then you can delete. If you're brave, you can also use RegEdit and search for the file name (example: Save.exe, for those stupid WhenU ads) and delete all its mentions in the registry.

Spybot takes care of those programs as well. It gives you the option of starting automatically before every other program the next time you restart Windows and delete the programs that are currently running.

Guest Razor Roman
Spybot takes care of those programs as well. It gives you the option of starting automatically before every other program the next time you restart Windows and delete the programs that are currently running.

I actually had a friend with one that that didn't work with. Somehow it opened before spy boy did, and as a result spybot kept saying, over and over again that it needed to reboot.