TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

Best lightgun game

What in your opinion is the best gun game ever? Mine has to be without any doubt virtua cop 2.

I’m sure I've spent well over 200 bucks on the game since it first came out in the arcades. I just love the game to pieces. Perfect gun control, timing and a whole lot of fun.

Somewhere way behind in second place would be Time Crisis 2 and maybe Alien the gun game (when I think of it now it wasnt actually such a good game, just one big ass gun). Oh cant forget the lost world.

Some of the worst:

Confidential mission, house of the dead 1,2,3 and time crisis 1.

Guest Fook

I second Virtua Cop 2 and Time Crisis 2.

Add Area 51 and Lucky and Wild to that list.

Guest Kamui

For nostalgia's sake- Virtua Cop 2. I played that game a LOT on the Saturn.

My actual favorite- Time Crisis 2.

My favorites would have to be any of the Crisis series (except 3, which I haven't played because no arcade here has it)

Don't get the hate for CM and the HOTD series. I thought they were good games (the multiple path system in HOTD was unique)

If you want a truly bad shooter, try Crypt Killers

For me it's a tie between Point Blank and Time Crisis 3. Point Blank is just damn fun, and definately the best multiplayer and most addictive gun game ever. Time Crisis 3 is totally badass, with multiple weapons, awesome MGS wannabe villians, the best gun game graphics ever and just sweet level design.

Guest drdrainoscott

Duckhunt.

And could someone explain to me how the gun actually worked? I never could figure it out

Guest Skironox

House of the Dead 1 and 2 are my favorites of all time.

Carnevil gets my vote for biggest piece of electronic crap ever.

Great- Gumshoe (old-school shiznit), Time Crisis series, Crisis Zone, House of the Dead series, Point Blank series, Police Trainer series

Crap- CarnEvil, Maximum Force, Area 51, Crypt Killers, Lethal Enforcers, Vampire Killers (half-assed HotD ripoff)

Duckhunt.

And could someone explain to me how the gun actually worked? I never could figure it out

In the case of the old NES games, the gun would set off a pulse that would make a highlighted box appear behind "shootable" targets. If the gun was aimed at one of those boxes when the trigger was pulled, that object was shot.

I'm not as sure how the newer games work, although the collision detection is MUCH better, as you can hit specific parts of an object instead of automatically hitting an object in the center mass each time you hit it.

Police Trainer series

Is that the game with the motion sensors, where if you move down your character moves down? I love that game. I thought it was called 911?

Police Trainer series

Is that the game with the motion sensors, where if you move down your character moves down? I love that game. I thought it was called 911?

No, this is a set of games similar to Point Blank. You have to qualify in 6 different categories (speed shooting, accuracy, etc.) to move through each particular rank.

The 911 game is closer to VirtuaCop, I think.

Good - Hogan's Alley. I liked it more than Duck hunt just because it was something different.

Bad - the arcade here had several, including Lethal Enforcers 2 (why it got a sequel I don't know) plus some western themed game which cost $1.00 and was nearly impossible to play for more than 5 minutes on the first $1.00.

And the worst ever..

REVOLUTION X and Terminator 2

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Remember that scope thing for the SNES? I broke mine like twice. Can't for the life of me remember any games it used.

Remember that scope thing for the SNES? I broke mine like twice. Can't for the life of me remember any games it used.

Yoshi's Safari, X-Zone, Terminator 2, Battle Clash, Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (Battle Clash 2), those are just a few.

Guest DVD Spree

Operation Wolf.

The only game that's even attempted to expand on the groundwork laid by this game is 911 (the motion sensor game).

Guest The Notorious CRD

Being the Sega mark that I am, I've gotta go with the House of the Dead and Virtua Cop series.

Duck Hunt was pretty rockin' too.

Guest DVD Spree
Whoa.......where's the Silent Scope love??? Sniper games rule!!!

Oops, forgot that one. Still, can't see Konami USA approving the development of another title in the series given the US' recent sniping fetish.

Guest Razor Roman
Good - Hogan's Alley. I liked it more than Duck hunt just because it was something different.

When I was 9 years old, I'd spend hours shooting that can in Hogan's alley!

plus some western themed game which cost $1.00 and was nearly impossible to play for more than 5 minutes on the first $1.00.

That game.... I played it a few times... it was a pain in the ass... i could play for more than 5 minutes though... usually in the 10-15 minute range...

My favorite lightgun game... Lucky & Wild

Point Blank, Time Crisis 2, and there's this game I've only seen in one arcade ever, down in Red River, New Mexico, called "Fast Draw". That's basically what it is - you go through a few randomized stages of some guy making fun of you, then this little thing flashes on the screen going WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT DRAW, and you have to yank the gun out of the holster and fire before the guy on the screen does it to you.

The uber extreme super boss of the game draws in like .37 seconds. :ph34r: