TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Michrome

Anyone Listening to WoL?

And blaming Vince Jr. for steroid abuse is like blaming Vince Sr. for gluttony since he liked pushing fat guys.

Well I will say that in the WWE Vince is alot to blame for steroid abuse. I mean look at the fed. Look at the people getting pushed like HHH, Brock, and all the hosses like A-Train, Morgan. And look at the shape of Vince himself. Hell if it wasn't for the steriod trial Vince still would have been pushing big guys trying to find the next Hogan.

I'm not saying Vince goes up to the wrestlers and tells them to take roids to get a push but, if you look at the working environment and the people getting push he's sending a message that to get a push they need to get bigger and fast.

Guest Loss
I'm sorry --- do you REMEMBER old-time wrestling? Pandered to utter racism and xenophobia. I suppose that's preferrable. And blaming Vince Jr. for steroid abuse is like blaming Vince Sr. for gluttony since he liked pushing fat guys.

I remember old time wrestling very well. And NOWHERE did I state that Wrestling As It Used To Be is the way to make it mainstream and keep it there. And Vince does deserve blame for steroid abuse in wrestling. He doesn't deserve sole blame, but if he'd push wrestlers to the top under 250 lbs more often that have shown they can get over (I mean pushing as hard as Hogan, Austin, Undertaker or HHH, NOT the half-assed pushes of guys like Jericho), then I wouldn't blame him.

What long-term value was pushed by the old-school style?

You're applying a rather strange logic, which is that because in the past it was worst, in the present, it's flawless. I never said the old school style was the style that was necessary to turn things around.

At the end, WCW's audience was just mind-numbed zombies who watched out of habit.

What do you have to support that argument? How do you explain the numbers rising so high at the beginning of the inVasion angle and dropping pretty quickly once the audience became bored with the WWF guys dominating the WCW guys at every turn? They may not have consciously said "Oh, the WWF is winning, this is boring", but the reason for the boredom was the lack of competitive feel.

Shall we go into the problems the NBA and MLB have in terms of attendance and ratings? WWE gets better ratings, on average, than both of them.

Ratings? Yes. Wrestling has very rarely had a problem delivering decent ratings, especially on cable. But attendance? Hardly.

And have fans bitch and moan because the stories take too long to develop?

Oh, so because a few online fans who don't understand what wrestling is are complaining, nothing should be put forth with any long-term value?

The NBA has been on the decline for several seasons. MLB has been on the decline since about 1994. Cycles happen.

-=Mike

Do you honestly think that if Benoit, Jericho and Angle were portrayed as equals to Rock, Taker and HHH in 2000, that RVD was allowed to hit that level in 2001 (don't start on his ability, I think he sucks too, but he was over and that's all that matters), that Booker T and Brock were able to hit that level in 2002, and Eddy this year that there would be a decline? Seriously.