TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Firefly on DVD

"You mean like, masterbatin?" - Jayne.

:)

There's a lot of Toronto Browncoats, so hopefully we can get something organized for next year when the film opens. There will be nothing better than having a theatre full of people who will mark out for the word "Shiny".

Going to?

What the hell do you think Rudo is doing while typing these pots? Baking bread?

No I meant actually bust a nut.

His nut will bust open

From Nathan:

We have completed the first two weeks of filming, and with that, all the exterior shots for Serenity. No more will cast and crew have to lug equipment and themselves out to the far reaches of the desert to battle the sun, dust, smoke, or the tiny little noseeums that seem impervious to bugspray and all too eager to feast upon our flesh. Happily, we all must report to work on Monday to the stages of Universal City, where we shall face new challenges like finding our own lunches and saying something clever to passing tour trams.

Perhaps due to those minor hardships, and the amount of adventures that are crammed into one day, it seems forever ago that we started rehearsals. Yet there is a long way to go. It is a far cry from filming the series, evident in watching the previous day’s work in the extreme luxury of the daily trailer. The huge screen at the end of this monstrosity entertains us with images of my favorite cast being BDH’s. It is going to be a real charge the first time we get to see River going "koo koo" when her face is 17’ high.

My heart now looks forward to the first time I see Serenity again. My only contact with her since I watched them pulling apart her last remnants at the Fox lot has been the cargo bay doors, with us on location. It will warm my cockles to see her reborn, courtesy of the creative minds of Universal. This will not be an exact duplicate, folks. Learn to love it. Be comfortable with the idea of getting to know her all over again, and falling in love all over again. For she is our home now.

Let’s go home.

From Jewel.

Hello out there from Jewel

JEWELSTAITE

I figured since Nathan and Adam and who knows who else have been posting on here and keeping you guys up to date, I might as well, too. I just bought a new lap top and am very anxious to use it! (If I can figure out how to use it). "Serenity" is a dream come true. Working with these wonderful people who love their jobs so much, every day, all day, is just awesome. WE ARE BACK!!!! Some things have changed, but not a lot, and no, Adam, I'm not giving away any spoilers. I can say this, though: Joss is a genius. This script is truly one of the best I've read, and I'm incredibly honored to be doing this film-- his first film-- and my first film as a lead (!). How exciting is that!! There hasn't been a bad day yet. Even with dust in your mouth and suncreen running into your eyes and sweat making little pools under your boobs... this is still the best job I've ever had. Thank you thank you thank you to the fans out there. Your continued support makes this whole experience even more enjoyable. I'll write again soon!

Jewel

I am going to enjoy every fucking second of them making this movie if they keep posting :)

Universal wants a sci-fi franchise, so I think they'd want _at least_ 60 million. This is based on the 30/40 million budgeted. Of course, we don't really know until they start promoting it - if they give it a ton of hype, then they might want 80 million. Also, it depends on how Universal sees it - is it a straight Sci-fi, do they want a sci-fi comedy, do they want action-adventure, do they want to capitalize on a cult-favourite, do they want something "interesting, fresh and creative"? What are they expecting??

Historically, I think 60 million is about right to be considered a "success".

For straight-up sci fi 12 Monkeys (a Universal Sci Fi) did $57,141,459 + had greater Star Power in Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt (it made more world wide - $168,839,459).

Galaxy Quest (an oddball sci fi, DW) made $71,583,916 domestic and $90,683,916 worldwide.

The Shadow (Universals attempt at a remake with franchise potential) made $32,063,435 domestic and $48,063,435 WW. There were no more Shadows, which should tell you that this return wasn't enough for them to invest more.

HOWEVER, Demon Knight (Tale from the Crypt being a cult show) made $21,089,146 domestic and they still chipped in for the sequel. I don't know how much they invested in this, though.

With all this said, I don't believe _any_ of these movies were released in April. 12 and GQ were released in December, DK in Jan... April is generally a tough month, so their expectations could be lower. Then again, The Matrix opened in April.

A few things:

1) If the script is as good as everyone says, then the critics will like it and that always helps.

2) If the script is as good as everyone says it is, and Joss does his magic, that always helps.

3) This is Joss' baby, he is going to put more effort than needed to make sure this is a good film.

4) When was the last time a sci-fi film was loved by the critics?

I just want to mention that the power of Jewel Staite continues to push this show on.

Flashback to Monday:

Setting - work

Myself and a coworker are talking about old Nick shows. In the can you top this part I mention watching Space Cases because I had a crush on Jewel Staite.

Coworker: Which one was that?

Myself: Catalina

Coworker: The one with the rings in her hair? Same here man.

Myself (seizing the opportunity): Well she was in an excellent show called Firefly.

::Tuesday, DVDs are lent to coworker::

::Fast forward to today::

Coworker: That show kicks all sorts of ass

Jewel Staite and Firefly can not be denied.

From Jewel.

Hello out there from Jewel

JEWELSTAITE

I figured since Nathan and Adam and who knows who else have been posting on here and keeping you guys up to date, I might as well, too. I just bought a new lap top and am very anxious to use it! (If I can figure out how to use it). "Serenity" is a dream come true. Working with these wonderful people who love their jobs so much, every day, all day, is just awesome. WE ARE BACK!!!! Some things have changed, but not a lot, and no, Adam, I'm not giving away any spoilers. I can say this, though: Joss is a genius. This script is truly one of the best I've read, and I'm incredibly honored to be doing this film-- his first film-- and my first film as a lead (!). How exciting is that!! There hasn't been a bad day yet. Even with dust in your mouth and suncreen running into your eyes and sweat making little pools under your boobs... this is still the best job I've ever had. Thank you thank you thank you to the fans out there. Your continued support makes this whole experience even more enjoyable. I'll write again soon!

Jewel

I am going to enjoy every fucking second of them making this movie if they keep posting :)

I am going to enjoy every second of the making of this movie if it leads to Jewel continually talking about her boobs.

Oh, and good on ya pin. Spread that love.

Pin, that's absolutely shameless. SHAMELESS. You were having an innocent lil conversation and you MANIPULATED this "coworker" into watching Firefly. That's downright...

...Awesome!

Firefly has the benefit of the DVD's, which really helps word of mouth. I don't know if the critics will be a factor, cause, well, Firefly would still be here today on TV ;) but that contributes to WoM.

I've registered, so has Rudo. The rest of you are expected to have a username ready to share by the end of the day. That way we'll know who we are in chat and we can make fun of the less knowledgeable fans.

:)

Hi again from Jewel Staite

Posted by Source: FIREFLYFANS.NET

TIMES READ: 249

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys!

I just figured out how to find the "offical boards" for Firefly. It took me long enough. Anyway, I posted there as well. They had a transcript of a Q&A session I did at DreamCon(a few weeks ago), and man, do I say "like" a lot. And "umm."

So we're finished our exterior stuff. It's nice to be in an air-conditioned studio-- and especially nice when you live ten minutes away from that studio. No more getting up an hour before having to be at work to hit the freeway. BLISS! Rumor has it that some of our "background performers" are secret Browncoats, which is pretty cool. I had no idea you guys were that dedicated! Working on a set isn't always fabulous and exciting, so just the fact that you guys are willing to sit there for twelve plus hours a day just to participate in the BDM ( I love that you guys call it that) is very, very cool.

DreamCon was a blast, and thank you to everyone that participated in the Q&A sessions. I really and truly wish that those sessions went on for more than an hour-- an hour never seems long enough. Starfury was awesome, too, and us Firefly folk got such a positive, strong response out there... It was really uplifting. I was just contacted by the DragonCon people about attending this year. That would be great, since I've never been to Atlanta, and they've never had a Firefly guest before. If my schedule allows it (which I think it will, unless they want to re-shoot something at the last minute... or the wrap party is that weekend-- which I cannot miss, because when we wrapped the series, FOX didn't give us one, so we've been waiting for a proper wrap party for far too damn long), I will be at DragonCon. I cannot WAIT to meet all you crazy browncoats and answer your questions... at least the ones I can without getting sued by Universal (and shunned by Joss).

I went by the set on Universal yesterday and hung out behind the monitor with Joss for awhile. Things are lookin' good.... The sets (and I'm talking about the ones besides the ship) are gorgeous. So innovative, and different, and beautifully detailed. I can't wait for your reactions.

Pretty soon, I'm filming some scenes in the engine room. I can't wait for that. "home sweet home". I'll update you when I can soon.

Thank you again, guys, for posting such positive and inspirational messages. I really love reading your posts.

Take care, fly high.

Jewel

We need to arrange some kind of fake convention idea here in Toronto and invite the Firefly cast (or just Jewel) to attend. And Morena. And Summer. And Gina. And the girl who played Saphron aka THE RACK.

Guest TonyJaymzV1
We need to arrange some kind of fake convention idea here in Toronto and invite the Firefly cast (or just Jewel) to attend. And Morena. And Summer. And Gina. And the girl who played Saphron aka THE RACK.

and Alan Tudyk

what...

stop looking at me like that....

WE NEED COMIC RELIEF DAMNIT!

<---------------MoleSerenity

And an April release? That is earlier than I thought it was; I thought it would be a Summer release.