TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Firefly on DVD

Guest nugget
It is a three-picture deal at Universal and I think it’s going to be about how the first one performs to see how the other two do.

Wait, wait, wait. I know I'm out of the loop and this has probably already been answered elsewhere...but when exactly did the Firefly movie become a trilogy? And how, considering that the source material was a canceled series - is Universal really that brave?

The trilogy is a guaranteed thing. For movies like this that have the potential to be a franchise, they'll put clauses in actors contracts that obligates them to be in a sequel if there is one. It cheaper and easier for the studio to have everyone signed on like that.

With the dvd industry the way it is, as long as the movie makes back its budget in its theatrical run, which it should be able to do rather easily, then the sequel should be greenlit.

Also, does anyone know a good/cheap place to get the dvd set?? I got the first disc out on netflix and wanted to buy the set, but don't have too much money/

The set is $26CAD right now at FutureShop.ca, so if you can find a willing Canadian to send it to you, it'd probably end up being about $30US after taxes and shipping and whatnot.

I wouldn't mind doing it, but I already have to beg my buddy to let me use his credit card for a few other boxes on sale. On the plus side, he may get the set himself, since he liked it when I lent it to him. :D

Jewel Staite... Just may be... the most perfect woman in the world... (Does that make sense? Is there something "more" perfect than perfect that would be "most" perfect?)

BLOG~! ACTIVATE! (favourite parts HLted)

Jewel Staite’s Blog Updated

From Users.ev1.net - 2004-07-23rd

23 July 2004

We are officially "more than half way" to finishing "Serenity". It’s unbelievable that time is flying by this fast. And it’s even more unbelievable that I still don’t know my way around the Universal lot. I know where the Starbucks is, though. And I know exactly how much time it takes to get from my house to the front door of my trailer in the morning. I’ve timed this so I can sleep in as much as possible, which is kind of sad and stupid, because another eight minutes of sleep really doesn’t make any kind of difference at all.

But you know what does? Snapple. I put a little bug in somebody’s ear that I loved me an ice-cold lemon iced tea Snapple every once in a while, and someone planted two cases of the stuff in my trailer. So now I have an addiction. I have to drink all of it before the shoot is over, or all of those lovely little Snapple’s will go to waste.

The dailies have been looking great so far. Every lunch hour, the crew and the cast (the ones that can stand to watch themselves on screen, that is) scurry into the viewing theatre next to our stage to see what kind of magic we’ve created the day before. They have lunch there for us, so we pile our plates in a hurry, and then settle into our seats to watch the footage. Problem is, once the lights go out, it is BLACK in there, and you can’t see what kind of forkful you’re getting, so it’s always a surprise what lands in your mouth. I ate my butter packet yesterday, a nice big mouthful of foil and lard. So now I inhale my food before the lights go down and then suffer through indigestion for the rest of the lunch hour. Good times!

This Sunday is ComiCon, which we’re all very excited about. Universal is flying us out there bright and early, and we’re spending the day doing a panel and an autograph session. We’ve never done anything as a whole and complete cast convention- wise, so it’ll be very cool. I’ve also confirmed my attendance at DragonCon during labor day weekend. Matty’s birthday is September 4th, so his birthday party will have to be postponed until we come back. We’ve never been to Georgia, so we’re pretty excited.

People on the Firefly/Serenity message boards are still chattering about my weight. I don’t look skinnier. Just older. Because I am. And since I’m in my twenties, it’s hard for me to keep weight on. I feel happy though, and healthy. When I’m hungry I eat, and when I’m full I stop. It’s a perfect existance. The only times I go overboard is if there are cheeseburgers around, and the only times I go under-board is when there’s corn or Thai food around. I hate corn and I hate Thai food. Hate. Passionately. But no, they’re not adding weight to me in CGI, and no, Joss isn’t force-feeding me every day at the craft service table. Kaylee will look like Jewel (unfortunately? fortunately?) because that’s who’s playing her. Thank God.

PS I saw I, Robot with Mr. Tudyk himself the other day and LOOOVED it. Yay, Alan!

Jewel

----------------

And now, CHRIS BUCKANANANNANAANANNA....AN BLOGANANANNANANAN

Chris Buchanan Posts At The Official ’Serenity’ Blog

From Serenitymovie.com - 2004-07-23rd

July 22, 2004 - Thanks again for all your support!

Hellloooo, Browncoats!

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Chris Buchanan, right hand man to Joss (which is paradoxical because he’s actually left-handed) and one of the producers of the BDM. I’m also known as "Affable Chap" on the OB. And my mom still calls me "Christopher" when I’m in trouble.

It’s great to be guest hosting the official SERENITY blog whilst Dusty sorts out some personal legal issues that have arisen here on the Universal lot. I’m amazed by the extent that the Patriot Act comes into play when someone accidentally "borrows" a big star’s golf cart. I also had no idea that Universal had such a secure "detention facility" as part of their studio tour. Live and learn, I guess.

The past week has been another long week of flying for the cast and crew alike on our beloved ship, SERENITY. I could describe in detail the ins and outs of the latest version of our little Firefly-class boat, but I think you’ll want to wait and see the epic tour of SERENITY Joss shot on Super 35 instead. I’ll just give you some impressionistic snippets from the set:

Things heard:

"SUMMER!"

Jurassic Park theme. Over and over and over.

"I did not murder him"

Nathan singing.

Cast members muttering in Chinese.

Ongoing political debate between certain unnamed cast members.

A bunch of cheers as we screened our first clip of the movie.

Things seen:

Our crew gathered around the wooden table in the galley, just like old times.

Tight pants. (No, not just those on the Captain.)

The beginnings of a wicked cool new saloon.

Ice Cream.

Blue Sun hooch.

Stars, smoke and fire.

An extremely buff, shirtless crew member working on the ship.

Visitors to the set with mouths agog and the magnitude and beauty of our boat.

Every day when I go on set, it really brings home the fact that we’ve kept SERENITY off the scrap heap and put her back in the black where she belongs. And by "we" I mean all of you, too. Thanks again for all of your support!

As a small gesture of fan payback, we are marking the launch of official SERENITY marketing and promotional efforts with a very special panel at this weekend’s Comic-Con in San Diego, CA. I wish we could simulcast the entire thing worldwide on the Internet, but we can’t, so you’ll have to rely on fellow Browncoats to spread the word. And, trust me; you’ll want to hear it all!

For those of you in the San Diego area this weekend, Joss wanted to make sure you had the pertinent details of his appearance at Comic-Con this coming Sunday with the entire cast of the show:

What: Joss Whedon/SERENITY panel

When: Sunday July 25th, 1-2pm

Where: Room 20

Who: Joss, Nathan, Gina, Adam, Summer, Jewel, Ron, Alan, Sean, Morena

We will also be screening the first footage from SERENITY shown anywhere! The panel will be followed by a signing session in room 28DE, where there will be give-aways for those of you interested. (Like you’re not interested!)

I’ll be there, too, with our editor, Lisa Lassek, and our visual effects wizard, Loni Peristere and our respective posses. Stop by and say "hi."

Best,

Buchanan

PS: Good news for Dusty, Nathan just sent over a stack of signed photos to the "tour" department. Apparently, they trade just like currency in parts of Universal City. Fingers crossed, DB will be back soon.

Edited by RavishingRickRudo

This is from someones blog (http://th-inkwell.blogspot.com/2004/07/bugged.html) and it's probably the best endorsement and "sell" of Firefly I've read yet.

Firefly

(I guess it’s all been written before. I’m sure I’m not the first blogger to be struck with ‘I’ve just watched the entire series of Firefly, there aren’t any more left and I simply must immortalise the grief with a post’-itis.

It’s probably been written more prosaically, it’s probably been written by someone with a unique angle, it’s probably been as done to death as anything popular with the smarter people on the web. However, in light of the fact that I can be as commandeering as Mal and as scary as Zoe, I’ll just go ahead, do it anyway and stare down anyone who so much as twitches at the plan.)

A firefly is a creature given to metaphor. Short lived, dazzlingly and surprisingly bright – it conveniently mirrors larger occurrences in history and allows us to essentialise and encapsulate them in one convenient image. Part of the fun of being human, I suppose.

I don’t think Joss Whedon gave his show the moniker with any foresight that it would so closely mirror the actual lifespan of nature’s firefly. I’d like to think, rather, that he knew - given the right creative freedom - he could make the show sparkle and delight like the little bug. Happily, he was right, I was utterly delighted.

It wasn’t until I saw the extras on my DVD set that I came to a more complete understanding of why this series was so good. The sections went through the concept, set design, camera/FX/CG work and musical score - I saw how each element was controlled by someone with a deep understanding for their craft, a genuine love for the show and run in a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants experimentation mode. Many things weren’t done the way that they’re usually done. I heard the phrase ‘you simply don’t do that’ many times. I LOVE to hear that kind of thing – it’s usually the way fantastic new processes happen.

To me, Firefly is an example of what happens when a talented group of people come together and give their best to a project which is itself led by someone talented giving their best.

In the same way as like attracts like on a personal level (you can tell a man by the company he keeps as the old saying goes), like hires and retains like on a professional level (you can tell a company by the people it keeps). I think it explains why companies carefully and obsessively controlled by the original entrepreneur or by a strong CEO have such a different feel to those which are controlled by the ‘everyone and no-one’ of committees committed to the ‘everyone and no-one’ concept of stakeholders.

I don’t buy into the new ideas about the way things should be run. Things that work are always, ultimately, controlled by an individual.

One person holds a vision, controls it’s execution at the macro level – he hires people he can see ‘get it’ and they control it’s execution at the micro level. Joss Whedon wrote the theme song, for chrissakes. There’s no mistaking who was at the wheel here.

I daresay that he fought every decision the besuited bumpkins at Fox handed down with the superior mein of those who forage daily at the trough of popular opinion.

Someone who didn’t understand the concept of Firefly and who wasn’t completely and irrevocably committed wouldn’t have fought for its original inception tooth and nail. We wouldn’t have had the short, fresh, violent and utterly brilliant season of Firefly we do today – we would have had ‘Friends’ on a spaceship arguing over who would receive which quarters and wondering whether the Alliance General gave Rachael the eye. It would have lasted 10 years. It would have canned laughter every time Ross fell off his horse or fumbled with his gun. The horror is actually palpable, isn’t it?

Whedon had his concept, though. He fought for it and today we have a piece of art that is incredible in it’s design and execution.

So, besides the fact that someone stubborn got his way, why do I love it so much? Let’s start with the fact that I’m not a passive watcher/listener/reader of entertainment. Silly though it may seem, I talk back. Often, I will suggest what I see as obvious actions for characters to take in their situation. As the episode goes on and the characters (inexplicably) ignore me, I become more and more agitated. Occasionally, I yell. Often, I swear.

Half an hour into the first Firefly, I remained in the same position on the couch. I had been completely silent. An hour in and not a muscle twitch. Two hours gone and all I could do was turn to M, slack-jawed, before quickly scurrying to the mouse and clicking on the next episode.

***Warning…spoiler…plot element discussed below.***

In the second episode, when Mal is confronted by a giant of a man who vows to spend his life hunting Mal down to kill him, I find myself thinking – “Aha! This is the clincher…this is the Bad Guy who will pop up every once in a while, try to kill Mal and be thwarted. All this because Mal is going to have one of those weak moments of hippy conscience at the very time when he could stop the Bad Guy. Gotcha – same old lazy scriptwriting.”

It may not seem it, but damn do I love being proven wrong, especially when I think something’s not good.

And so it was that I was proven wrong, so very, very wrong.

Just when I was beginning to grumble something to the effect of “Just kill him, for chrissakes, why the hell would you let…” Mal simply shrugged and kicked the bastard into a turbine engine. It was the loveliest little bit of violence I think I have ever seen. I made a noise, something like “Oip!” and felt my eyebrows raise far beyond safety limits.

***End of plot spoiler, you can read below safe in the knowledge that you will be surprised by EVERYTHING in Firefly. I promise.***

What Firefly gets so right – what sets it apart from every other show I’ve seen - is the fact that the morality is so damn close to what I agree with. The characters don’t faff about – they know which action gives them the most benefit personally and they take it without qualms. There is no apology for what would be considered crude opportunism in other shows.

You also won’t find your stock standard characters, your Tortured Soul 56b and Bimbette 29a on the show. You’ll find very complex characters making very difficult decisions and *gasp* actually THINKING those decisions through.

You’ll also be entertained. Joss spins his usual verbal mastery and gives the characters strong, punchy, funny lines.

So here’s an endorsement – nay, a directive.

If you like what you read on my blog, if you’ve clicked through on a few of the links and enjoyed them, go and buy Firefly on DVD. There’s no prerequisite to have enjoyed Sci-Fi previously, this isn’t traditional Sci-Fi.

When there’s so much entertainment around and so much of it is lukewarm, finding something that makes you think, laugh, gasp, worry, chew the couch cushions and admire the actors is a prize. Go discover it for yourself.

A ~new~ blog entry from JEWEL STAITE (YAY)

I just got over the worst cold of my life. I had the shivers, the runny nose, the sore throat, the fever, no appetite, etc. The whole shebang. It sucked. I spent most of my weekend holed up in a hot bath and drowning myself with juice and taking lots of vitamins. FUN! To make matters a bit worse, I think I got Alan Tudyk sick, too. He came to work today with a fever and a stuffy nose. Whoops.

I'm still feeling a little weak, so I'm going to be taking it easy the next few days. We just did a loooong scene today where we're walking up and down these stairs. The whole scene took place on three flights of stairs, walking up and down and up and down, so that was interesting. My legs are going to be so sore tomorrow. We did get to work with a couple of "new actors" today, Yan and Raphael Feldman, who are the absolute shit, if you ask me. They are fantastic actors, look great, and fit right in with our usual on-set hyjinks. I can't wait to see this scene cut together.

Adam Baldwin has found a "rescue dog", a little collie mix with long ears and black spots. He's adorable. I almost wanted to ask him if I could have him. I fell in love. So now I'm not the only one that brings my dog to work, which takes some of the guilt off of me.... I hate to be a person to cause trouble, but I don't want her to be at home all day long by herself, and I can't help that if my husband's out of town. So she hides out in my trailer and we find inconspicuous pieces of grass for her to do her biz on. But I'm glad I'm not the only one now. I'm pretty sure dogs aren't allowed on the lot, too... so I hope no security personnel read this.

My last day of work is coming up soon!! What is up with that? What happened? Time literally flew by. They actually asked us what kind of music we wanted played at our wrap party the other day, which must mean we're nearing the end soon. That's going to be a sad day. Bittersweet, because I get to go home to Vancouver, but really, really sad to be leaving everyone. (until next time!!!)

My husband gets home tonight from Vancouver, finally. He's been gone just under a week, but that's still a little too long for me. I love that we've known each other for almost five years, and we still miss each other this much. I can't stand to be away from him. Even when I'm mad at him, I can't stand to be away from him.

Anyway, tonight I have HUGE plans. I've ordered a pizza and I'm going to give myself a manicure. Gee, the glamorous life of an actress. I should be doing the enormous pile of laundry waiting for me in the corner, or cleaning the bathrooms, but that all sounds really boring. The next time I write, it'll be after my "picture wrap".

Jewels Dog

Firefly’s Serenity Wrap Party - Tonight Saturday 28th 2004

From Users.ev1.net/ alternity/tv/jewel_staite - 2004-08-28th

27 August 2004

Hi Roj:

Serenity is officially over. I’m going to the wrap party tomorrow night. We’ve packed up our stuff in boxes. My dressing room is cleared out. Kinda crazy that it went by so fast, but I knew it would.

The last two weeks (specifically my last week, which was second to last for the rest of the crew) was very, very hectic. We saved the most difficult stuff to the end, which I guess was a good idea, considering we had so much time (and so much fun) doing the nice stuff for the first two months. But all of the action stuff was tagged on at the end of the schedule, which means lots of scrambling to get our "days"... and by that I mean, lots of overtime. Some of us-- and I won’t say who because that would be saying too much-- had so much stunt/wire work to do, they basically worked all day and then went straight to rehearsal (which we call Fight Camp), and then got up in the morning to work again, and so on. Whew.

I’m glad that we were so busy, though, because none of us could see "the end" coming so much. And when it did happen, it was very surreal. It was late at night, and everyone was fired up on caffeine (having slept probably about six hours the night before, if that), and ready to keep filming... and suddenly it was announced that we were wrapped. And not just any wrap... "picture wrapped". But it was a really lovely moment. Everyone was so exhausted, we literally collapsed into each other’s arms for a hug and vowed to celebrate at the wrap party (so we didn’t really have to say good-bye right then)... and that was it.

To be a part of something so special is incredibly gratifying. I can’t wait to see the finished cut with all the special effects included. I can’t wait to see people’s reactions. It’s going to an interesting 2005.

As will DragonCon, which is next weekend... That snuck up on me, too. Adam and Nathan are going, (as the whole world knows by now at this point) which is nice for me. I have my big bro’s there to help me spread the word. It’ll be a nice cap to a wonderful experience.

What a place to be in right now. I feel great. Tired, but great.

I’ll write when I’m home in beautiful Van-city.

Jewel Staite

Happy, Sad, and Disappointed.

- Rudo

Yeah. I expected a lot more interaction from the cast and crew while filming. Jewel was fantastic (which was a pleasant suprise), but aside from a few things, there wasn't a whole lot. I can see them wanting to do all "that" at the start of the new year in trying to hype up the film, but I personally wanted an up-close and inside view during the filming. I realize that while the whole process is not done, but with the shooting being done, it feels like the time for all that (interaction) is over. The actors will be doing "other things" now, rather than focusing on Firefly.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY!!!!!!!!!

Posted: 31 Aug 2004 7:47 pm

Post subject: Captain on Deck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, I have come to the boards to see where all those Browncoats are, what they are doing, and how they may be speading the Serenity word. The movie is finished. Friday was my last day, Saturday the wrap party, and now, my days are my own. I have promised myself to get on top of some appointments, a carpentry project, and travel arrangements for a well deserved vacation. Yet so far, I haven't been able to pry myself away from the Universal lot.

Yesterday I darkened the doors of our editors in order to scam a copy of the gag reel for myself and some of my castmates (whom I later met for dinner). At the same time, I pestered Lisa Lassek to show me dailies from the final days shooting and together we fantasized about the finished product being a box office smash/little picture that could.

Now is the time to let this baby of ours go of to summer camp, put her in the capable hands of the counsellors at Zoic, have music and sound put to her, and let her grow up. It will be hard, letting go, but we have done all we can. Rest assured, Joss will be holding her hand the entire way. He'll be making sure she wears a life jacket on canoe outtings, and watching that she doesn't sneak across the lake to make out with the boys at Camp Flibbidee Joop.

As for spreading the Serenity word? So many people I see (my deli, sushi restaurant, and hardware store) say "Where have you been?" Filming the best movie of all time." I reply. "Serenity?" they ask. "Yes, Serenity indeed." I have also purchased 11 sets of the DVDs. I am driving them around to cast members homes to get them signed, and then I shall distribute them to the needy and loud spoken. One condition applies. The set shall be watched, then used to convert a least three people between now and Aprill 22. If among my friends someone already has a set, my autographed set shall replace theirs, and their old set shall be passed on for keeps, honoring the same condition.

What have you been doing to convert the unenlightened, hedonistic masses? How shall we wake the word from their Firefly-less slumber. Is there anything illegal about brainwashing or Firefly as a cult? Think of the tax breaks and the enormous amount of power I'll weild and abuse as a high priest, or just Captain. Ron can be high priest.

Be good to each other,

Nathan Fillion

http://www.buffy.nu/article.php3?id_article=6451

They rule. They all fucking rule...

From Some Dude who I never heard of ....

Went to the "Firefly" panel. Now...Jewel Staite (who used to work for me on "Space Cases" back when she was thirteen) and Nathan Fillion have been having a sort of bizarre contest since the earliest days of "Firefly." Basically they find new and innovative ways to flip each other off. It seemed that Nathan had the last word because, at the very end of the "Firfly" motion picture outtake reel, the words "For Jewel" appeared followed by an action figure of Nathan as Caleb extending his middle finger at her.

So apparently Nathan won the contest.

Not anymore.

Because when they started doing their Q&A, Nathan happened to call on the fat bearded guy in the third row. And I stood up on the chairs, and bellowed, "Nathan! On behalf of Jewel..." at which point everyone in the packed ballroom got to their feet, "Dragon*Con salutes you!" And a room filled with over a thousand people extended their middle fingers at Nathan Fillion. Nathan took it as well as could be expected, admitting "that’s a lot of bird," although he did darkly warn several times that we had "f*cked up." Jewel was beaming, pleased with her (no pun intended) handiwork. Adam Baldwin looked serenely bemused.

Jewel Staite, continuing her quest to be the perfect woman...

Jewel Staite writes love letter to Browncoats everywhere

From Fireflyfans.net - 2004-09-10th

Thursday, September 09, 2004 15:37

The snowball that is Firefly

JEWELSTAITE

Just wanted to say thank-you to everyone who made Dragon*Con such an absolute blast. All three of us had an excellent time, and we were floored by the support and the love from the fans out there. The little Firefly that could, right? How is it that this could have happened? I can’t explain it. All I can do is feel grateful.

As for how much we need to make our first couple of weekends in order to carry on with our fantastic trilogy: All studios ever want to do is make their money back. That constitutes a huge hit for them. So as long as that budget comes back to them, which is $40 mil as we all know, then they will be happy as clams. Whoever made the comment ( I was snooping) that the second weekend is almost as important as the first weekend is absolutely correct: the interest has to carry through a little bit. A big drop in ticket sales after opening weekend is never a good thing. So if you do plan on seeing it twice, do so once the first weekend, and once the second weekend. Now, if you’re a TRUE fan (like me), then you’ll see it five times the first weekend and five times the second!! I for one am seeing it at least twice the day it opens, and I’m taking all of my family and all of my friends...

This is very exciting for all of us. We feel the anticipation and the enthusiasm building for this project, and after working so hard and loving it so much, it feels really redeaming. (think I spelled that wrong but who cares). To those of you I met at the con who expressed that enthusiasm to me personally, I LOVE you truly. I can promise you that this film will give you goosebumps, as it did to me, and you will walk away satisfied. There may be things you will love and there may be things you don’t, but I trust Joss’s storytelling ability whole-heartedly, and I can say that he is a very brilliant man who knows how to work an audience!

Thank you again for everything you’ve done for us. I’m glad we’re your "big damn heroes", and I feel proud. This is the best fan base there ever was for the best show that ever was. Here’s to upcoming successes! You’re awesome!

Jewel

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

September 17, 2004 - Greetings from Joss

Well, sports fans, it's official. The movie is shot. Done. And I couldn't be happier to be through with it. No more of that exciting, vibrant set, that warm camaraderie, that creative stimulus, free donuts... Excuse me. I have something in my eye... free donuts...

Oh, there's things I'll miss. But there's definitely things I WON'T miss.

In no particular order:

1) Fillion. People who are prettier than me are not supposed to be funnier than me. I think it's a guild thing. And that whole 'gracious and professional' thing got old on day ONE, you know what I mean?

2) Cinematographer Jack Green. This guy lights stuff ALL THE TIME. Seriously, like eighty-three percent of the shots had light in them. He totally didn't get my "Just Like Radio" concept for the film.

3) The incessant meddling of the studio: where was it? We waited and waited, what, are they all too busy and important to take the time to ruin my little film? This is Hollywood, people. Learn our ways and customs while you're here. Sheesh.

Just a taste of the Hell I've been through. And being surrounded by beautiful women, and, let's face it, beautiful men, all of whom get along, work hard and play their characters with such ease and nuance it's clear they were born for the roles -- who needs that?

But no matter how much I suffer for my art, it's worth it. 'Cause come April 22nd I think we'll be bringing you an exciting film that's a powerful statement about the right to be free. Which is not as cool as my original statement about the right to tasty garlic mussels in a cilantro broth, but the freedom thing's okay too. The editing started this week, and after just a first cut I can safely say this will be the greatest film since whatever film comes out right before it. And I'm not backing down from that.

Thanks for your support. And I mean that more literally than people usually do -- Coming back from the Chicago Con and telling people there was a Serenity booth put up and run entirely by fans... you should have seen their faces. Hell, you should have seen mine. But not too close. And not before, like, 10:00 -- maybe 11:00 a.m. And maybe sort of from the side. The back-ish part of the side. You should have seen my hair.

Be well. Good things are coming.

Cilantro!

-joss.

SOOOOOOO Quoteable. My god...

People who are prettier than me are not supposed to be funnier than me.

He totally didn't get my "Just Like Radio" concept for the film

This is Hollywood, people. Learn our ways and customs while you're here. Sheesh.

after just a first cut I can safely say this will be the greatest film since whatever film comes out right before it. And I'm not backing down from that.

Somebody help me out here:

I'm looking for the four-part blooper reel that was on-line a few months ago- the extended edition from what they put on the DVD. I had it but lost it in the Crash of '04. Anybody got a link (or 4)?

I enjoyed this WAY too much. From JEWEL STAITE.

21 September 2004

Hi Roj

Now that my life is relatively back to "normal" (what is that?), I'm not sure what to write about. I guess I should just be honest and say what's on my mind. WORK. Work is a good thing. All of my friends are telling me to chill out, take a break, live life like a normal person (there's that word again), and just do the things that make me happy. But I think to be creatively happy, I have to be involved in something work-wise that I love. Which isn't the case right now. But I'm still content.

Lately I'm spending my days walking my dog, going shopping for sweaters and fall gear, catching up with friends over long lunches or cocktails at my favorite spots around the city... sleeping in and hanging out with my family, and doing errands I forgot about sixth months ago like getting my teeth cleaned. There are auditions, of course, which is nice... but it's hard to come off of something so wonderful, like "Serenity", and have to distance yourself just so you're not disappointed... if that makes sense. Nothing is ever going to be like that experience. That's just the way it is.

During our long drive home to Vancouver, Matty and I came up with a new, very addictive game called "Top Ten". I think up a category, like, "what's your favorite top ten vacation spots ever?" and he answers, then I answer... and then it's his turn to think up the next category (I think one of his was, "what were your top ten favorite songs that make you cry?") Anyway. I thought I'd apply my new favorite game here, and give you my top ten favorite things about Serenity, my top ten least favorite things about filming Serenity, and then finally... since some people are wondering about how DragonCon went, my top ten favorite things about DragonCon. So here goes: * these are in no particular order, either.. number one isn't any better than number five, and so on...*

TOP TEN THINGS I WILL MISS FROM FILMING "SERENITY":

1. The breakfast sandwiches every morning. Little egg, little bacon, little tomato, little processed cheese, little English muffin.... hello!!!

2. Sean Maher's laugh. I could listen to Sean laugh all day long. His nostrils flare slightly when he laughs. (shhh)

3. Watching the footage from the day previous every lunch hour. What an excellent breaking point to the middle of the day.... and how inspiring that was.

4. Giving Nathan the finger, more ways than one (hundred).

5. Nathan's parties at his house. And how the girls always won on game night. And yes, I said ALWAYS.

6. Joss-hugs.

7. The cakes and letters and other wonderful things delivered to us by faithful Browncoats.

8. Conversations with Morena. And Summer. And Gina. I miss them.

9. The hair and make-up team!!! I. LOVED. MY. HAIR.

10. This crew. And this cast. Actually, every single person who was involved in the making of this movie. I had the best time. It filled every expectation and then some. I am so proud I was a part of it.

And now...

TOP FIVE THINGS I DON'T MISS ABOUT FILMING "SERENITY": (cause I can't think of ten)

1. Getting indigestion from the breakfast sandwiches.

2. The smell of the toilets in the dressing rooms when they hadn't been emptied for a few weeks.

3. Walking in on political discussions involving I-won't-say-who.

4. The Jurassic Park theme song.

5. Saying good-bye.

And finally:

TOP TEN FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT DRAGON*CON:

1. The fans. Hands down. How much fun did we have? And thank you to everyone you showed us a good time at the Hyatt bar... you know who you are.

2. The Marriott Hotel. Which was beautiful.

3. Spending some time with "11th Hour" aka Susan, who rocks. What a brilliant woman.

4. The Q&A sessions. Those are always my most favorite, and I wish they lasted for three hours... not one. One isn't enough, people!!

5. The panel involving the true Firefly/soon-to-be Serenity fans in the Hyatt on Sunday night. Thank you for welcoming me and letting me interrupt your panel. You guys are awesome.

6. All the people dressed up as the Firefly crew, especially the "Kaylee's"... nice job!

7. Flipping Nathan the bird along with the rest of the Dragon*Con population.

8. The last-minute, absolutely wonderful birthday party thrown for Matty on his 25th birthday. Thanks for making him feel so welcome, as always.

9. All the "fabulous people" (you know who you are) I met in the VIP suite. Can't wait to see you again.

10. The food. No, just joking..... I would say, lastly, the amount of spirit I witnessed. There are a lot of people out there who care about this show, and about "Serenity", and it's future. Because of you, we may be able to do a few more movies... That's the goal, right? I can't express my gratitude enough to you people. Thanks for an awesome labor day weekend.

I'll be keeping in touch.... Can't wait for you guys to see that first trailer!!!!

Love Jewel

I rock? WHEDON ROCKS!

Joss Whedon - About Serenity - SFX Magazine Interview

From Fireflyfans.net - 2004-09-29th

From UK Sci-Fi magazine SFX

Have you stuck to your guns as regards no sound in space, or was there pressure from the studio to insert sound effects?

Well, it’s not finished yet, but so far the studio has backed my every play.

Will the theme tune you wrote be used in the film? Either as the theme, or someone strumming it by the fireside?

Nahh. Well, maybe. I sure as hell won’t be singing it.

What has been the most exciting moment on the set of the movie?

Watching Summer’s new ’dance’.

Will there be any cameos from Buffy or Angel actors (the ones who were already in Firefly don’t count)?

No. This isn’t a party for my friends, it’s a movie.

Why the name change from Firefly to Serenity?

It’s what the movie is about. The fans will recognise it, and non-fans won’t confuse it with a show they might have heard of. Everyone wins.

Has the experience of directing a movie been significantly different from directing a TV show?

It’s more fluid - every scene dominoes everything you’ve done or will do.

What’s the most ambitious shot in the movie?

A four and a half minute ’one-er’

Which actor do you think will hate you the most after this shoot?

If they don’t all hate me equally, I’m doing something wrong.

How will you celebrate the final days shooting? Apart from sleeping.

Prayer. Contemplation, and possibly a violent crime spree.

How much sleep have you had since filming began?

Mother...? The lights are....Why are there mice?

What has been the most satisfying moment on set?

Reboarding the ship.

Has the script evolved at all while shooting, or are you a Hitchcock-style director with everything rigidly laid out in your mind?

Little bit of both.

Will we get to see hoardes of Reavers?

Is that what you really want?

Which on-going plot strands from the show had to be dropped from the movie?

The involvement of Blue Sun in the ’Big Mystery’

How have you made the movie accessible to people who have never seen the show?

By telling the story from the start - not the same scenes, but the story from a new perspective.

What do you think about the show’s cancellation now that it has enabled you to achieve one of your lifetime ambitions - to direct a movie?

I will always mourn the show. This movie may be a beautiful butterfly, but I loved that damn caterpillar.

Can you reveal one line of dialogue from the movie that you really like?

’We’ll meet again, Spider-Man!’ (Wait - which movie?)

If the movie is a success, will you ever return to television?

TV is an awesome medium.

Why should no-one miss Serenity?

Because it’s exciting, funny, scary, surprising, involving ad meaningful. At least, that’s the plan. But even if I totally fail, the actors are brilliant and deeply pretty. Plus, hovercraft chase!

Copyright SFX Magazine 2004.

I've never had a restraining order against me, but dammit, I'll work damn hard to get one!

8 October 2004

Hi Roj

I thought I'd write since some things have come into play in the last few weeks. First of all, I've landed a role in a great project called "Widow on the Hill". It's a Lifetime movie, which means it'll air on TV and then go to DVD, most likely, but the script is really wonderful. And my character is very dark and troubled, which is a nice change. It's a very dramatic, suspenseful story about a... well, I can't tell you. I can say this: James Brolin plays my beloved Daddy, and Natasha Henstridge is also starring.

"Widow" is filming in Toronto, and for a month, so my husband has decided to join me here to keep me company. Thank God it's worked out so when I'm working, he's not, and vice versa. It's so nice to have a little bit of family with you when you're away from home so much, you know? And he's my best friend, so I can tell him anything and do anything. I can laugh till I'm crying or cry till I'm laughing, and he never judges me.

So it looks like once we get home, we're off to Maryland for another convention, this one called Galaxy Con. I hear it's smaller than the "Biggies", like DragonCon, but the people involved seem real nice, and we have to spread the "Serenity" word, right? AS MUCH as possible.

A little birdie just told me the film may be cut together already. I hear it looks AMAZING. I am very jealous that this little birdie got to see it before me, but those are the breaks when you're living far away. But it's still very exciting to know that Serenity is past yet another stage, and is now probably going through special effects stuff and what-not. I cannot WAIT to see this movie!

And I know I've said that a million times already.

This weekend is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, but we're spending it doing wardrobe fittings, rehearsals, cast readthroughs, and a cast dinner... all the stuff we must do to "prep" before a movie starts actually filming. We go to camera on Tuesday (the 12th). Wish me luck, and I'll keep in touch.

Off to be dramatic and troubled,

Jewel

I've been watching the dvds again the last few days. I forgot how cool Jayne, Mal and Wash are.

I hope Jayne doesnt turn on them in the movie.

New Promotional Photo.

serenity1.jpg

I am so not going to like the feature, cause seeing the blueish tint and the lil change in the background and seeing Kaylee not in a jumpsuit has me concerned... and that lil change will be nothing compared to some of the changes they will make in the film.