TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Firefly on DVD

You know, I didn't realize that for a while. It was on one of the commentaries where Joss tallked about the Reavers and how they are the alien equivalent, or the closest thing you'll get to aliens in this. And I didn't really put much significance into it, but when you think of it, no aliens is a pretty big, bold move for a futuristic sci fi. Especially when you factor in all the creatures in Buffy and Angel.

Not to break the flow of conversation, but what is the best price that you guys have seen the DVD set go for? I'm thinking about doing a blind buy for this, I've yet to watch a single episode, but I'm not sure.

Also, when looking over at TVTome, I noticed that the pilot ended up being the series finale. Why was this exactly? Does it not screw up the flow of the entire series and where it was all leading up to? I just found that quite odd.

After they made the original pilot Fox made them go back and do another because they felt it was too slow paced.

It does screw up the plot and make no sense. On the DVD they are ordered properly.

I've seen it around 40-45 dollars up here, so it could be lower in the states.

Fox didn't like "Serenity" - the pilot episode - (for the same reason Anyanka didn't, "it's too slow") and asked Joss to write another first episode. He did and it was "The Train Job" - a much inferior episode, but Fox liked it enough and they aired it first. After the show was cancelled they decided to air Serenity as the last episode. And it does screw everything up, as I view Serenity as the perfect opening episode that introduces the characters, humour, and universe of the show flawlessly. It is the episode where the crew of the ship picks up 3 more crew members, so seeing their first introduction is integral to knowing their place on the ship. It also shows some sides of the characters that you don't see in the rest of the show.

I purchased the Box Set having only watched this episode, however I knew Gina Torres and Nathan Fillion from other projects, so I wasn't exactly going in "blind". It's hard to compare Firefly to anything, which is why I tend to say what it's not (Star Trek, for example), so I don't know if it's the show for you Downhome... I mean, I think its a show for everybody, but as Zsasz and Anyanka have said, it didn't exactly rock their world, so I might be wrong on that.

yeah, maybe DL Serenity and see if you're into it, if ya like it definately make the buy. I know I didn't regret it, especially when ya get to disc 3, Out of Gas, Ariel, War Stories and Trash, great stuff :D

Whoa, hold up. Just cause I thought Serenity was slow doesn't mean I didn't like the series. I really got into it as it went on.

It's hard to compare Firefly to anything, which is why I tend to say what it's not (Star Trek, for example), so I don't know if it's the show for you Downhome... I mean, I think its a show for everybody, but as Zsasz and Anyanka have said, it didn't exactly rock their world, so I might be wrong on that.

Thank you, and everyone else. I'm not a fan of ST at all, I'd almost go so far to say that I hate it. It was just too, I don't know, just too something. I'll download the pilot of Firefly finally and see what I think of it.

ANYANKA~ how could you hold out on bringing the LUV for this show to this thread? How could you do that to me? After all that we've been through. I thought we had something... something special. I hope my attempts to ban you haven't brought any bad blood between us.

I haven't said much because by the time I got the DVDs and saw it the thread was basically dead. Besides, why should I feel welcome to share my views? I get enough harassment and death threats from the Angle thread.

Thank you, and everyone else. I'm not a fan of ST at all, I'd almost go so far to say that I hate it. It was just too, I don't know, just too something. I'll download the pilot of Firefly finally and see what I think of it.

Firefly is on it's own level, a friend of mine isn't into Star Trek or Sci-Fi itself much at all but loved Firefly after I got him to watch it, heh

I haven't said much because by the time I got the DVDs and saw it the thread was basically dead. Besides, why should I feel welcome to share my views? I get enough harassment and death threats from the Angle thread.

Well that's only because your views suck. That doesn't mean they're not welcome though. Jeez. :)

In other news, I downloaded Serenity to see how dark the video was, and, besides the beginning, it's pretty darn watchable. Shit, I couldn't stop watching the episode until about a half-hour in. The badger scene still fucking owns.

Today was the first day of filming "Serenity". They've done the impossible and that makes them mighty. The Firefly 'verse lives on.

So... There I was; standing behind our fearless leader Joss Whedon in "video village" the moment before he called action on film roll #1, scene 3, take 1 of Serenity the Movie. With my little Digi-Elph camera in hand and Summer in the monitor... I tapped him and our beautiful script supervisor Jain from the series on the shoulders, they turns around nice and slow and both give the "sah-weetest" grins I ever seen as I popped the flash!

Joss: "Action!"

Ladies and gentlemen of this here 'Verse:

Serenity flies again!

Love to you all,

A.B.

I got the set for $30-$35 dollars at Slackers. I bought it blind having seen only a few minutes of one episode, I think. I give credit to RRR for praising this show so much that i just had to buy it when I saw it for cheap.

If you buy it blind, look for it used.

Just got this off Whedonesque..

Browncoats -

Joss emailed me this to me and I wanted to post it IMMEDIATELY because BIG NEWS is contained within. What a day we had today! But enough from me now, here's a quote from our fearless leader:

"Hi guys. Just wanted to give you some news but guess what? I can't get on the site. I have trouble with passwords. So hopefully Chris B will forward this to you with his wily technical knowledgablosity.

Today was (as I think you know) the first day of filming of Serenity. Which is pretty big for me (it felt weird to START with Mal's death, but scheduling isn't my area). It was a blast. Sean said it was like school was back in session after summer vacation, which I have decided to take as a compliment. Gina did a happy dance (and there are few happier sights than Gina doing a happy dance). We're still flying. And the best part is, that's not even why I'm posting.

The real news, and you heard it here first, is that Universal has thrown down an official release date! So mark your calendars, Browncoats, 'cause if you're planning to get married on April 22nd 2005, you better change the date. Seriously. Who gets married in April? Just change it.

April 22nd. Exactly when I wanted to open, 'cause it's SOON. I can't wait for you all to see what we're putting together. It's a crazy-quilt of infotainment that like to call a 'film', and it just may be the best one ever made. Or one of the ones in the middle. Probably not the worst... I'm thinking middle. High middle. So buckle up and get ready for that patented Joss Whedon "high-middle" excitment. It's on its way.

I'm tired, and apparently I have to direct, like, EVERY scene, so I'm

crashing. Thanks again, all of you, for helping me home. It's good to be back.

-joss."

<goes and marks calender> I know where I'll be on April 22..and 23...and 24....and....ok, I'll stop there, heh :D

Guest Goodear

I was just thinking about the pilot again and sometimes I really wish that well first off that it had been freaking aired first so the Train Job would have made a whole lot more sense (but we knew that) but so that some of the character traits with the crew would have grown a bit more over the series. Like as the show goes on Mal gets a little less cranky and more likely to help people out when in the pilot, he's like king jerk of jerky town and I think the progression could have really helped the series out since he was at his jerky top in the pilot. It would have added so much weight to him kicking Niska's thug into the jet engines during The Train Job its silly.

Plus I would have loved to see Wash's calm piloting style to keep on keeping on rather than turning him into full metal panic guy. I loved that part of him.

Damn networks.

DAMN YOU FLAAAAG!

The Pilot did so many things that I really have to wonder what sort of Monkeys are running Fox.

Mal losing his faith, in particular, is fucking HUGE and they just sorta didn't go there. Book questioning why he is on the ship, meeting Badger, the fucking reavers, etc. I mean, jesus fucking shit, who in their right minds wouldn't air that episode first???! Especially since Kaylees first words are "Oh great, now I can't get down".

I was watching The Message the other day (the new signature might've been a hint B-)), and something kind of bothered me about the way the whole thing went down.

I can understand that "the plan" involved shooting Tracey once, so the feds would see the "damaged goods" and back off. (Incidentally, they didn't get an especially good look at him.) And the second shot was to get him off of Kaylee once he went loco. But why would they not make an attempt to save his life, or not shoot him in such a fatal way in the first place? And why wouldn't they have been able to tell him about said plan? If the idea the whole time was to kill him, contrary to Tracey's dying words, that's a pretty shitty plan.

Book and Mal have a nasty habit of "talking with their eyes" rather than words - which is all they needed for Tracey. One could say that they couldn't reason with Tracey anyways, but I wouldn't be that one. It's a stupid thing they did.

The outtake of Nathan moving around the casket, however, is brilliant.

Book and Mal have a nasty habit of "talking with their eyes" rather than words - which is all they needed for Tracey. One could say that they couldn't reason with Tracey anyways, but I wouldn't be that one. It's a stupid thing they did.

The outtake of Nathan moving around the casket, however, is brilliant.

When I saw that outtake, It took me a minute to see what Nathan was doing. When I realised what he was doing, I couldn't stop laughing.

I love the reactions of the crew. Oh god it's seriously the greatest thing ever. Well, it's tied with "Triumph and the Star Wars geeks" and Jeff Goldblums most recent appearance on Conan as the greatest thing ever... but its still wonderful.

Here is what each actors was thinking...

Gina: Don't do it Nathan, be a professional.

Nathan: I don't think Gina wants me to do this, she probably wants me to be more prefessional. But I gotta do it.

Adam: What the hell is Nathan doing?

Jewel: This is an emotional scene. Why is Nathan moving around?

Sean: Oh that sonnof...

Summer: hehehehehehe

Alan: I wonder if I'll get the role in.. what the fuck?

Ron: I'm a motherfucking professional. I am not going to fall prey to this.

Morena: Oh Ron, how can you not find this funny?!

Gina: Stay Professional.... Like Ron... don't.. Giggle.

Adam: Ah I see.

Jewel: Oh dear god I wet myself.

That's it, I watched my favourite highlight of Firefly and I am PUMPED for this movie, which means one thing, I'm goin back and watching it all again! HOO BOY! It's been so long, SO LONG, since I originally watched it (like... A MONTH!) so I need my FF fix. WHO'S WIT MAY?!