TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

HOF voting announced Tuesday

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/h...y2004/index.jsp

With the HOF announcement coming Tuesday, I think this is a good time to discuss HOF candidates. Who are your picks. Here's mine, and why.

Paul Molitor

Of the 19 eligible players with 3,000 or more hits, not one of them is excluded from the Hall of Fame. With 3,319 hits, Molitor is in solid company.

Goose Gossage

If you are going to elect any relievers into the Hall, you have to start with Gossage. For ten years, he was the best relief pitcher in baseball. Gossage went nine years without posting an ERA above 3.

Dennis Eckersley

197 career wins AND 390 career saves. Eckerlsey redefined the closer role, and pitched effectively into his 40s. The fact that no similar pitchers exist speaks volumes about his career.

Ryne Sandberg

Not only was Sandberg the best hitting second baseman of his day, he was also a perennial gold glove winner. Also stole 344 bases.

Andre Dawson

The Hall is loaded with outfielders, so why add Dawson? For starters, Dawson is one of the best power/speed players in history. He hit 438 home runs, gathered 2,774 hits, and stole 314 bases. Don't forget that he played center field for half of his career, and that he won several gold gloves while playing center.

Alan Trammell

Of all my picks, I suspect this one will take the most effort. The argument here is simple. Alan Trammell is superior to above half of the players currently in the Hall of Fame. I entered the career stats of all HOF shortstops into a spreadsheet, and computed the averages. Trammell works out just about even or above in all aspects. The average HOF SS has a career OPS of 758. Trammell's career OPS is 767. Quite simply, there's no excuse to excuse Trammell, given the established standards of the Hall of Fame.

Bert Blyleven

The popular pick among sabermetricians. Blyleven has 287 career wins. If he had 13 more, he'd be in already. Blyleven retired 3rd all time in strikeouts, and his three most similar comps (Don Sutton, Gaylord Perry, Ferguson Jenkins) are in the Hall of Fame. Blyleven was actually very similar to Don Drysdale, except Blyleven pitched after the age of 32.

I'd agree with all those. I'd also add that Blyleven won most of those 287 games playing for mediocre at best teams, and if they take that into consideration he ought to be a shoo-in.

No argument with any of those. Gossage has been a sticking point with me for years...he was a better reliever than Eck over their entire careers.

I'd love to see Jimmy Key and Dave Stieb get in, but I know that's a lost cause. :(

I don't know about Lee Smith. He has the career saves record, but I really don't think he was the dominant closer Gossage and Eckersley were.

My Hall of Fame Picks:

Molitor, Eckersley, Dawson and Sandberg.

I think the other guys might sneak in over the next couple of years... Wade Boggs is the only shoo-in vote until McGwire, Ripken and Gwynn are eligible (I think 2007).

Molitor, Eckersley, Blyleven, Dawson, and Sandberg

Bruce Sutter was 106 votes shy. Doubt he'll get that many this year. I also expect Sandberg, and Dawson to make significant jumps in vote totals this year.