TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Joe Gibbs could return to the Redskins

From Foxsports.com

The Washington Post, citing sources with connections to Gibbs, reported late Tuesday on its Web site that Gibbs was in serious discussions about returning to the team that he led to three Super Bowl titles.

The 63-year-old Gibbs coached the Redskins from 1981-92 before resigning to pursue a career with his own NASCAR team. He has been adamant over the years about not wanting to coach again, although he has retained NFL connections. He is currently a minority owner of the Atlanta Falcons.

The Redskins are seeking a replacement for Steve Spurrier, who resigned last week. They were known to have interviewed three candidates: former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Minnesota coach Dennis Green and Seattle defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

Calls to the Redskins and to Gibbs' racing team were not immediately returned.

A similar report also appeared on CBS Sportsline.com.

Gibbs' racing teams have been among the most successful in NASCAR with two Winston Cup championships in the last four seasons. Bobby Labonte took the title in 2000 and Tony Stewart in 2002.

Gibbs' oldest son, J.D., is president of Joe Gibbs Racing. The former coach's youngest son, Coy, finished 14th last season in the Busch Series standings.

I personally hope he stays away. He was a great football coach, but he hasn't coached in football in over 10 years (part owner of the Falcons, but that doesn't count) and I would hate to see the current state of the Redskins organization drag his legacy into the gutter along with it.

Guest FrigidSoul

I'm choosing to acknowledge Marvin's thread on the subject since BPS is a Bills fan.

Yes, Dennis Green and Ray Rhodes.

This was brought up in the other Joe Gibbs thread. What does interviewing a black candidate matter in regards to the Redskins? I don't see everyone asking if Buffalo, Atlanta, and the NY Giants organizations are interviewing black candidates.

Geez, a bunch of haters around here.

Guest FrigidSoul

This was brought up in the other Joe Gibbs thread. What does interviewing a black candidate matter in regards to the Redskins? I don't see everyone asking if Buffalo, Atlanta, and the NY Giants organizations are interviewing black candidates.

Um...because its mandatory to interview minority coaches now

Um...because its mandatory to interview minority coaches now

Got that part.

What I'm getting at is there are several coaching positions that are open right now, yet I haven't seen post one about whether or not those other teams are interviewing black coaches or not. I'm not saying I didn't want Washington to interview a black coach or that I didn't know that that it was mandatory because I know that.

I was getting at why the TSM haters go and only question the Skins moves and no one else.

Guest FrigidSoul

Cause the Redskins job was filled so fast. With the Giants it was known they interviewed Romeo Crenell. With the Redskins they had been without Spurrier for like 5 seconds

Its a miracle that Spurrier stayed 2 years, but once again the players on Defense are going to get put under another Defensive coordinator. The Redskins haven't had the same defensive coordinator for 2 straight years in Snyders tenure as owner. Theres more talent on the defensive side of the ball, but they keep getting stuck in different systems every year.

Depending on what kind of moves Snyder pulls off this offseason, I really dont see the team being any better than 7-9 next year which could be at best 3rd place or worse depending on how fast the Giants turn around.

Its gonna take at least 2 years for the Redskins to get turned around to where they have a shot at the playoffs (more likely 3) and I dont think Snyder has that kind of patience. I also think that people are going to expect way too much out of Gibbs the first year.