TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

CSI: NY and Law and Order IV

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - CBS is planning another spin-off of U.S. television's most watched show, "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," with a third edition of the forensic drama set in the Big Apple, a network spokesman said on Friday.

"CSI: New York" is slated to premiere on the Viacom Inc.-owned network this coming fall. A formal announcement is to be made Saturday by CBS President Leslie Moonves at the network's annual winter showcase for television critics.

Like the original show, the new "CSI" is being created by Anthony Zuicker, who will assume day-to-day supervision of the drama. The series will be jointly produced by CBS Prods., Toronto-based Alliance Atlantis Communications Corp. and the production company of Hollywood mogul Jerry Bruckheimer.

A third edition of "CSI" has been anticipated since the first spin-off, "CSI: Miami," starring David Caruso (news), debuted to stellar ratings in 2002, with considerable speculation about where the next show would be based.

The first "CSI" series, which premiered in the fall of 2000, is set in Las Vegas, and like its "Miami" companion follows the work of police crime scene investigators who use high-tech forensics to crack tough cases. It was not immediately clear how closely the show's third incarnation would follow the original formula.

"CSI" and "CSI: Miami" currently rank as No. 1 and No. 5 in household ratings, respectively, among all prime-time shows on U.S. television. The original series averages 26 million viewers per week.

In another sign that crime does pay on prime time, especially when it is part of a hit TV brand, NBC reportedly has a fourth incarnation of its popular "Law & Order" franchise in the works.

If that proves true, "CSI" and "Law & Order" together would account for a total of seven hours of first-run programming every week in prime time.

NBC is owned by General Electric Co.

Is it me or is the Crime/Drama genre getting worn out? I mean, I enjoy the original CSI and Law and Order, but I really don't like any of the spinoffs of either show. CSI is my 2nd favorite show behind 24, and even with the capability to tape CSI Miami and watch RAW, I still don't do it. I tried watching the first few episodes but I found that the cast isn't nearly as interesting, especially David Caruso who I can't stand. As far as Law and Order goes, its up on my list of shows although I usually miss new eps (this year really sucks compare to past years IMO) but I usually find myself watching reruns of some of the older eps on TNT). Of the 2 spinoffs I like Criminal Intent more than SVU, although not by much.

Guest OctoberBlood

Awesome.

I am certainly not tired of the "spinoffs". Criminal Intent is superb, mainly due to Vincent D'Onofrio, and Special Victims Unit is my favorite of the "three". I watch every new episode of each L/O show and I watch the daily re-runs on TNT and USA just about everyday. I am very interested in seeing a new spinoff of Law and Order, I wouldn't mind that one bit.

Now for CSI, I never really watch Miami, because of Raw, but I still watch the regular CSI and love that as well. Depending on the time slot, I would give CSINY a try as well.

Good news.

Well after Reality and Crime Drama are milked to death then what will be new fad? Family Comedies again? Hours and hours of Family Matters, Full House, Blossom etc?

Well after Reality and Crime Drama are milked to death then what will be new fad? Family Comedies again? Hours and hours of Family Matters, Full House, Blossom etc?

Sitcoms in general are pretty thin as of late.

And if you want hours and hours of family matters, full house, etc. all you need to do is be able to watch ABC Family during the afternoon.

ABC Family has Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, basically its TGIF every afternoon *runs of to copyright that slogan*

Well after Reality and Crime Drama are milked to death then what will be new fad?

Reality Crime Dramas, where REAL people will commit REAL crimes, then REAL cops will REALLY bust their asses.

Like Cops, only cool because it's REALITY.

Though I'm starting to think that the next wave will be talk shows. I mean, EVERY reality show has those "look at the camera and talk" bits, and the premises keep getting thinner (Coming up next, the NEW reality show where a REAL man thinks he's on a REALITY show, when everyone else is an actor tying to fool him, but he's also an actor fooling all of them!).

Sooner or later, some TV exec is gonna think "Hell...if people just wanna hear other peopole talk about things they do...then we'll just have a show that's normal people talking about stuff!"

This will, in turn, lead to normal people talking about crazy stuff, until Jerry Springer is cool again.