TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

WrestleMania 2000/XVI

Initially, the 16th WrestleMania was referred to as "WrestleMania 2000", the first Mania to go without the roman numerals. However a couple of weeks before the show and at the actual PPV it's referred to simply as "WrestleMania" sans any number. There is nothing on the DVD that indicates which WrestleMania it is either. Strangely enough, years later the WWE have referred to the show as either WrestleMania 2000 , XVI, or even 16. Anyone know what the deal regarding this was?

This is a strange question to answer, mainly because there wasn't really a "reason" it was called just WrestleMania.

The WWE was riding 1999's ridiculous ratings bonanza, and even with Steve Austin on the shelf, they ended '99 heading up, with a GREAT Rumble, GREAT No Way Out, the Rock hosting SNL (and doing a great job, with Vince, Foley, Show, HHH as well) and the WWE pulling in huge numbers.

Perhaps it was referred to without numerals, and sometimes as "2000" to appeal to a more general audience. With all the new wrestling fans (and there were TONS), it made WM seem fresher to them, instead of being constantly being reminded that there were 15 previous ones.

Keep in mind WM: All Day Long aired from noon to showtime, so it made the WM experience see like a huge thing for new fans.

I guess they use numerals now for recap purposes, to avoid confusion.

Check the Raw/Smackdown magazines with the posters, they use the original logos for each event. I'm sure the logo theyll use is "WrestleMania 2000".

Later.

Guest Deebo

I was wondering about that too, and also why they went with Wrestlemania X-7, and Wrestlemania X-8, then back to the roman numerals last year. I HATED that X-7/8 crap, it was so stupid and I never got why they did the change.

Guest JRE

According the "The Offical Insiders Story" it was initially "Wrestlemania 2000"...it was named that before everything in the year 2000 had "2000" after it's name. So not wanting to look too trendy...they just shortened it to "Wrestlemania."

Other Wrestlemania's not to officially have roman numerals are....Wrestlemania 2, Wrestlemania 13 (for luck reasons, I suppose)...X-7 and X-8.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Actually WM 17 was X-Seven (spelled out). (According to the WM Magazine released in February of 2001).

That bugged me at the time why they just didn't call it Wrestlemania 16 but I suppose it was just a change for whatever explanation.

If you recall, Mania X-7 and X-8 are also most referred by "17" and "18" because I think it made more sense. Thankfully they just went back to the tradionally roman numerals with last years and this years.

Such a little detail...yet it can lead to major discussion.