TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tyler; Captain America

ALSO Regarding the PS2 Net Adaptor

I have a static IP on campus, and I'd have to use that if I wanted to play online. Is it possible to set a specific IP/subnet mask/etc. etc. in order to access the internet using the PS2 Network Adapter? I don't need to know how, I just need to know if it's possible so I can determine whether or not it's worth buying.

THX!

Get a router. Setup the router to use that static IP. Then you can share the connection between the computer and PS2 via either DHCP or Static... whatever you prefer. I would go DHCP personally for the plug & play aspect.

See, but that costs MONEY. You can't just do it using the PS2 adapter alone?

It depends on how your campus internet service contract works.

For most college ISPs, they use DHCP and they'll only give you internet access for one MAC address. This means that your current dorm computer can access the internet (obviously), but a PS2 hardware adapter would require another internet service contract (since it's a different device and, thus, has a different MAC address).

In that case, the best solution is, unfortunately, purchasing the router (upon which you'd clone the MAC address of your dorm computer). Luckily, non-wireless routers are relatively cheap at about $40-50 and they may have very well dropped in price since I bought mine last year. Or you can purchase another user account from your college. I'm guessing that would be considerably more expensive than the $50 router.

That was the original question, but I forgot about the IEEE issue; I don't think it'll allow the net adapter to access my port because it's an unfamiliar IEEE.

Do you have Madden 2004? If so drop me a msg when you are all hooked up, we can play. :headbang: (I just got my network adapter)

Shit, you're right. I forgot about that. They recorded my IEEE address.

You CAN format a router to clone your IEEE address? How?

For my Linksys BEFSR41 router, there was a special section dedicated for cloning the MAC address in the router's configuration/settings software. For whatever router you get, it may be different. Despite this, I do know that most routers have the ability to clone any given MAC address (presumably, to make the router installation easier), so I don't think you have to worry.

I don't see why you can't use the PS2 network adapter with your static IP address. You just can't go online with the PC at the same time. That's what your question was, right?

The issue is how the static IP is issued out to your PC (or your PS2 Network Adapter). The most common static IP addressing system is DHCP, which basically works as follows:

- you register your hardware with the server (often times, through an automated program that leaves most of these work behind the scenes), which usually involves providing the server with your hardware's MAC/IEEE address (which is a built-in six-digit hexadecimal address that is unique to every piece of hardware that connects to the internet)

- once registration is completed, the server creates a static IP address for your MAC/IEEE address

- you attempt to connect to the server with your hardware

- upon receiving the connection, the server recognizes the physical address of your hardware and gives you the corresponding IP address

And then, from there, your internet connection is established and you do all the crazy internet stuff that you do.

Now, why does this cause a problem for multiple devices? Because each individual MAC/IEEE address has (or, if it's unregistered, lacks) a corresponding IP address in the server's memory and, in most cases, college ISPs only allow students to register one piece of hardware (and, as a result, only get one IP).

Thus, we've got a predicament of having two pieces of hardware that we'd like to split the connection, as well as having one piece of hardware (the PS2 adapter) that isn't even registered for an IP address.

The solution that I mentioned (purchasing a router) works because most (if not all) routers have the ability to "clone" or duplicate a given MAC/IEEE address. With a cloned MAC address, Tyler's router would be assigned the college's static IP and, with the router's connection established, he could simply connect the two devices to the router (which would re-route the incoming packets from the campus IP to the PC and the PS2 Network Adapter, hence the name) and go from there.

I apologize if I got a little pedantic there - just wanted to make sure everything was covered.

Thanks a lot, man.

And yes, I do have Madden 2k4 :)

alrighty, lets get a game going sometime then. I just bought the headset. You don't need it, but I figured it would make the online experience even more fun. :headbang: