TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HandofFate

Dutch Mantell

Credit Prowrestling.com:

The following is derived from the Pro Wrestling Torch:

At present, there are no plans for Vince Russo to return as an on-air talent on NWA:TNA broadcasts. Also, it is still unclear whether he will be backstage at the events. Vince Russo appears to have ironed out his differences with Jeff Jarrett and has attended more than one creative meeting in past weeks.

Raven did not attend last week's (1/14) NWA:TNA pay-per-view due to a family situation.

Dutch Mantel recently told members of the creative team that he believes the average viewer of the show is around 40-50 and does not wish to be confused by storylines, therefore he wants all future storylines to be kept simple.

Either the Torch is completely wrong or Mantell is insane. I think that most people here will agree with the second.

Wow, if Mantel thinks that, he really needs his head examined. Quite frankly, any organization that thinks they are or should cater to a demographic with only 10 years seperating it......well cmon.

Keeping storylines simple is ok as long as the angles and stories themselves are creative and interesting. But so far I havent seen much of that from Mantel. I think he would be best working with Russo side by side, as they both have good points to their booking. Mantel likes to slow build things and give it the proper development.....I havent seen that from Russo since WWE days. Russo likes to build unique characters and like to add surprises to storylines and matches (whether all of them are good or not is up to debate). If they could be on the same page with their positives, it would be great. Jerry Jarrett (not sure about Jeff's booking abilities) has the positives in bringing concepts that made the Memphis territory so successful back in the day (wild brawls, hardcore elements, etc). If they could all pool their ideas into a nice merged weekly show, that would be great, but who knows if thats possible.

Could care less if Russo is back on air or not, I'm more thinking maybe not so he can keep focus on what he's around for anyway.

Guest Coffey

Uhh...the majority of viewers, I would think, would be "smarks" being as how most smarks are smarks because of internet access...which is where NWA:TNA advertises.

That being said, is ANYONE here 40-50 years old? I highly doubt it.

I think 17-35 would be a better demographic.

Guest The Last Free Voice

I hate to say this, but I am starting to fear for this company. Seriously.

Dutch Mantel recently told members of the creative team that he believes the average viewer of the show is around 40-50 and does not wish to be confused by storylines, therefore he wants all future storylines to be kept simple.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

So does that mean JJJ is going to shut the fuck up and cut his 3 promos per show from 8 minutes to 1 minute? If so, I'm all for it.

Nah, he'll up it to 15 minutes in order to explain it more clearly with words of only one syllable.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

40-50?!! I don't know ANYONE whos that age that watches wrestling anymore.

18-34 is more realistic.

Fucknig Dutch. Go back to The Mountains with the Blu Brothers and Desperados.

Can anybody show me the actual PWTorch column? Dutch could have said something remotely similar to what is being reported, as this says "DERIVED" from the Torch.

Either way, something like this is going to be commented on in the Lazarush.

Guest TheHulkster

I'm with Dirty Dutch on this one. Convoluted storylines only serve to make wrestling look even more hokey. I prefer to see 2 guys feud because they fucking hate each other or want a title as opposed to two guys feuding because the co-commisioner's sister-in-law's cousin called the other guy's valet a ho. Leave that shit to Springer. Dutch turned around Puerto Rican wrestling and now IWA-PR sell out stadiums with hot angles. I have faith in the guy.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I'm with Dirty Dutch on this one. Convoluted storylines only serve to make wrestling look even more hokey. I prefer to see 2 guys feud because they fucking hate each other or want a title as opposed to two guys feuding because the co-commisioner's sister-in-law's cousin called the other guy's valet a ho. Leave shit to Springer. Dutch turned around Puerto Rican wrestling and now IWA-PR sell out stadiums with hot angles. I have faith in the guy.

When I have to pay $10 to see one show only for "Angles to be pushed for months" then thats stupid.

Vince Russo was better because he made some things interested, and didn't delay the trigger for 4-5 months. Sure he bafa'ed up a few times, but really, he's the best thing to happen to TNA probably.

I saw a lot of the "hot angles" from IWA-PR and they didn't seem very hot to me. Owner of the company feuding with the top babyface, etc etc. Nothing we haven't seen before. If anything, it tells me PR either doesn't get WWE and hasn't seen these same stories play out for the last few years, or they just don't know better.