TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

For once I am excited about the...

Guest KidKrash
EDITED PORTION: Obviously this board has a quote button for cosmetics.

Or you don't know how to use it?

Well the quote feature works when you quote the whole post like so /\ but when you use it in the "Add Reply" box it doesn't work.

Flame-baiting also isn't allowed on this forum.

Relating that analogy back to wrestling, then yes, Benoit, a mid card wrestler his entire career , going to WrestleMania to wrestle in the main event for the title be the would be the best scenario.

Against HHH, for the World title, is NOT the best scenario. Think a lil harder Bacon. Maybe you'll move off the paper this time.

That's the thoughtless, typically-macho, smart-ass answer I expected.

Then why did you ask? Or better yet, why didn't you respond?

Unfortunately. YOU aren't capable of better, because YOU don't own the WWE.

The WWE is capable of better. MUCH better. But it's interesting that you compare what they do with what I don't do, rather than what they could do - nice standards. I'm impressed.

So you should settle for what they're giving us, because what they are giving us is something we've asked for since Benoit arrived, and it is good, regardless of how you want to spin it.

How is it "good"? How is Benoit - someone who has been spending 4 years for the *WWE* Title - wanting to compete for the "World" title GOOD? It doesn't even make sense. Oh, there I go again wanting cavier or something...

But you won't, because you are, of course, you.

A pessimistic, arrogant crybaby.

And you're a fucking bottom feeder. Content with any scraps Vince McMahon gives you. Why should they bother to improve, to better themselves, to try and put out the best product possible, when there's people like you who will eat their shit as long as it has a ribbon tied around it. People like you, who are ignorant. So enjoy it, eat it up, cause when the day the fantasy is over and you realize that Benoit has been buried and is labelled as a "failure" as champion and all the dumbasses are saying "I told you so", the savoury goodness will turn sour and all you'll be able to do with the minutiae of brainmatter you have is wonder "why?" Pessimistic? Why shouldn't I be?

Being the World Champion is equally as good as being the WWE champion. Benoit isn't neccessarily gunning for the WWE title, but for any of the top brands titles, because in kayfabe, not in the smark ridden 'insider' land, they both are considered EQUAL. Yes, he left WCW for the chance of being the world champ in the WWE, but now there are 2 titles, there are 2 options for him.

Suspension of disbelief + a small sprinkle of optimism = Satisfied Benoit fans finally seeing the guy get his shot.

I want to get excited about this, but something is holding me back.

And that would be the feeling that they are going to screw up the potentially good things they've got brewing in spectacular fashion.

If they don't, I will be happy to eat those words.

Yet, I still think of can't-miss-but-somehow-did angles like the Invasion. Screw that up, and they can screw anything up.

And, realistically, how long do you think that belt will exist for? 1 more year? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? How long until they once again merge it with the WWE title (they sure as shit won't be using the Big Gold Belt as to represent the true blue WWE heavyweight title). And, with all due respect, please don't hand me that shit that he can "help the image" of the RAW title. Do you want a history lesson with everyone not named HHH who held it and how they helped the image (has HHH helped it either?) ? Or, should I say, did dicknothing with or to it. It's a nice theory, what with this uber-worker getting rewarded after his long time suffering; but he's getting rewarded with nothing. He's getting STUCK with something. It's a mere convenience. If they actually wanted to reward him - if they truly wanted to - they would keep him on the right course. Shit, I bet they think they're doing something good for a charity case in Benoit - it's all hollow. "Well, I won't him wearing the real belt, so let's just give him that other thing and he'll be happy with it - shit, all of his fans are." When we look back 20 years from now on the history of the WWE title, there won't be Benoit's name there. It will be in a very small, very irrelevant, part in the WWE section called "World Title" (2002 - 2006) with, if he's lucky, an asterix by the real belt. That will be his place in history. Well golly, thankya Vince.

- I posted this earlier today at another board, a lot of it is relevant to the current discussion, and a lot of it will cover what you would have said later on.

Guest wildpegasus

RRR is right. I'll mark out for Benoit being at Mania XX but it's just too bittersweet. Benoit/Lesnar wrestled that match on Smackdown specifically for an even greater match down the line. And what happened? They got their legs cut out from under them.

Benoit on Raw tonight cemented my fears of him going to Raw. It makes no sense at all. As of now, it appears it was even his desicion to show up there. Why?????????? That makes no sense. Heyman being upset at Benoit leaving makes no sense. Nothing makes sense. The whole thing was an insult to anyone who watches the WWE product. And please, no triple threat match.

Guest FrigidSoul

Random thought after reading one of RRR's posts

I think they should change Raw into WCW Monday NitRaw and then promote the other brand as WWE Smackdown! only because it makes the brand extension more believable as far as somebody perhaps getting the idea one title is better than the other and jumping ship. Of course Vince would never swallow his pride and do that but hey, that's what I think.

Of course, this whole angle COULD be botched.

Triple H COULD regain the title sometime in the spring and Benoit will be shunned down the midcard.

We all know the mentality of the WWE. But how fun will the product be if we have this cynical and pessimistic attitude towards Benoits biggest push of his career, even if it is brief? To counter act the previous statements, he could go on to have a helluva title reign throughout the year, or at least be in the ME scene and re-capturing the title down the line. With the amount of ME level stars on RAW, there's no reason why he shouldn't.

It's understandable why some may have a negative outlook for the future of Benoit, WrestleMania and beyond, but if your going to dump on Benoit's quest for the gold now, then theres no hope for ever being satisfied because this as close as its gonna get, and it's damn close, if not being as good as its good (which IMO, it is)

I have one faint hope and that is this: That this will lead to being one undisputed champion, either Benoit or Lesnar. It doesn't matter what brand the champion belongs to, he'll be the champion of both brands, would appear on both brands (but not all the time) and would defend his titles at the PPVs.

I know they tried this with Jericho, but frankly I think this scenario couild work now, especially with someone like Benoit or Lesnar.

Or my hopes could be dashed and Benoit will be starting at the ceiling at WMXX.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

Some people will just never be happy. Rudo, for example.

No matter how well-booked or how perfect this ends up being, he'll be there with some stupid, biased, inconsequential argument as to why it isn't the greatest angle of all-time and, therefore, it is a total failure. And he's the type of prick that's always there when things don't work out perfectly to say, "I told you so."

Well, sorry Rudo, sorry for suspending disbelief after that amazing moment last night. Sorry for having some hope, but it isn't going away. I still don't really think Benoit is going to win at 'Mania, but I'm willing to pump myself up in case it happens, because I am a fan of professional wrestling. It would be shit if everything I want to happen did indeed happen, because it would take out the suspense, the intrigue, the beauty, and the sheer fun of the sport.

I don't expect you to understand. You're not even really a fan. All you are is a pessimistic critic with nothing good to say.

Bottom line is this: I don't remember anyone ever saying for years and years that they want Benoit to win the WWE Title from Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania XX. What I do remember from the past few years is nearly everyone saying that they want to see Benoit get the recognition he deserves by competing for and winning a World Championship in the WWE. And it's getting closer and closer to becoming a reality, and you have nothing but venom for it. Just like you always have for just about everything WWE.

It's not shit, no matter how you spin, and that's not a lie. But you just keep telling yourself it's shit. Who knows, maybe some people will start to believe you.

So, come Wrestlemania XX, if Benoit happens to win, I will yell and I will scream at the TV, because it will be great. And you'll just busy yourself by brooding at your computer monitor and spreading idiotic bullshit across the internet.

I hope you have fun that night, jackass.

And also, if Benoit does win the World Title at 'Mania, it won't be some ridiculous footnote in WWE history as you would have us believe, Rudo. The mere fact that it will be at Wrestlemania XX guarantees that. It doesn't matter if it's a transitional reign, it doesn't matter if the World Title gets re-merged with the WWE Title - it will still be remembered as a wonderful moment due to its historical significance alone. Being remembered as a World Champion is the best gift I can think of to give to a guy like Chris Benoit, and I'm sure it would/will mean the world to him.

Some people will just never be happy. Rudo, for example.

I was happy after Benoit/Brock. Hell, I enjoyed Foleys promo a lot tonight. See, I have this thing... it's a strange thing - maybe foreign to the likes of you - it's called "standards". It's not really a high standard, I want things to make sense. What Foley said, it made sense. Brock vs. Benoit, it made sense. And hopefully, maybe if it's not too much trouble, for things to be smartly written. That last part is more of a pipedream, but you know... still reachin for the stars. How's the bottom treating ya? Warm? Moist? Dark? It's good for you to be in the dark - you seem to like it. Can't see all those nasty things like logic and potential.

No matter how well-booked or how perfect this ends up being, he'll be there with some stupid, biased, inconsequential argument as to why it isn't the greatest angle of all-time and, therefore, it is a total failure. And he's the type of prick that's always there when things don't work out perfectly to say, "I told you so."

C'mon, gimmie a lil credit here, I wouldn't be so blunt with my gloating. I like to hide it. Shhh... I don't see how the actual title that Benoit somehow now wants despite never once wanting it before, is "inconsequencial", or "stupid".

Well, sorry Rudo, sorry for suspending disbelief after that amazing moment last night. Sorry for having some hope, but it isn't going away. I still don't really think Benoit is going to win at 'Mania, but I'm willing to pump myself up in case it happens, because I am a fan of professional wrestling. It would be shit if everything I want to happen did indeed happen, because it would take out the suspense, the intrigue, the beauty, and the sheer fun of the sport.

Why are you saying sorry to me? If I forgive you, somehow I don't think it will mean as much. Oh, *I'm* sorry, was that another smart-ass answer? If you're a fan of professional wrestling... oh, nevermind.

Bottom line is this: I don't remember anyone ever saying for years and years that they want Benoit to win the WWE Title from Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania XX. What I do remember from the past few years is nearly everyone saying that they want to see Benoit get the recognition he deserves by competing for and winning a World Championship in the WWE.

Yes, that most certainly excuses them for booking a storyline that doesn't make sense or follow the internal logic of Benoit's character.

And it's getting closer and closer to becoming a reality, and you have nothing but venom for it. Just like you always have for just about everything WWE.

Well yeah, see, they hate their fans. The give us illogical storylines, plotholes, they drop stuff without any explanation. They have nothing but venom for us as well. If they didn't, I wouldn't. But this is MY fault, I'm sorry.

Guest FrigidSoul

If I ever become a mod I'm going to alter all of RRR's posts to where things are quoted. He'll wake up one morning and shit his pants in shock.

And also, if Benoit does win the World Title at 'Mania, it won't be some ridiculous footnote in WWE history as you would have us believe, Rudo. The mere fact that it will be at Wrestlemania XX guarantees that. It doesn't matter if it's a transitional reign, it doesn't matter if the World Title gets re-merged with the WWE Title - it will still be remembered as a wonderful moment due to its historical significance alone. Being remembered as a World Champion is the best gift I can think of to give to a guy like Chris Benoit, and I'm sure it would/will mean the world to him

Wow, you totally missed the point; that's so cute. Benoit's name won't be up there with the greats. Not with Hogan, not with Flair, not with Hart. He won't be "WWE Champion" in the record books. He'll be that "other" title.

I want you to tell me specifically when Benoit ever said on WWE TV that he wants the SD! WWE Title and that he could care less for the Raw World Title.

Oh, that's right, he never did.

Oh, that's right, he came out on Raw and said he wants the Raw World Title.

Chrissakes, the angle has barely taken off yet.

If we're going to be talking about internal character motivation (i.e. hypothesizing shit that may or may not be true), perhaps Benoit noticed that Trips is getting fat and decided he'd have a better chance facing him than a fucking powerhouse monster who is pretty much unbeatable.

There, logic.

We haven't seen yet what Benoit's motivation is for going to Raw. Granted, if he isn't given a motivation, I can see calling bullshit on this angle. Hell, I'd begin to agree with you then.

But they cannot cram all that into one show. You can't surmise that this whole thing is shit before it's even close to ending, because then your opinions aren't based on fact, they're based on fuck all.

Yes, it's dark and warm and moist. It's better than being so high up on my pedestal that my brain is dying due to lack of oxygen.

Hey, it's cheap, but I could have said "it's dark and warm and moist...JUST LIKE YO MAMA'S PUSSY, BIATCH~!"

I await your vitriolic, rambling, asinine, sarcastic, and oh-so-witty reply. Be sure to make fun of me a lot, it makes you smarter, or something.

And also, if Benoit does win the World Title at 'Mania, it won't be some ridiculous footnote in WWE history as you would have us believe, Rudo. The mere fact that it will be at Wrestlemania XX guarantees that. It doesn't matter if it's a transitional reign, it doesn't matter if the World Title gets re-merged with the WWE Title - it will still be remembered as a wonderful moment due to its historical significance alone. Being remembered as a World Champion is the best gift I can think of to give to a guy like Chris Benoit, and I'm sure it would/will mean the world to him

Wow, you totally missed the point; that's so cute. Benoit's name won't be up there with the greats. Not with Hogan, not with Flair, not with Hart. He won't be "WWE Champion" in the record books. He'll be that "other" title.

Too early to tell, therefore means nothing. You're not a fortune teller.

Who's to say where the titles will lie in the future. For all we know they could carry on till the promotions demise, or they could be merged and recognized as the new 'Undisputed World Champion' with a new lineage. If not , Benoit is still going to go down as a former world champion. More importantly, years from now we will look back at Benoit headlining the 20th WrestleMania at MSG.

Wow, you totally missed the point; that's so cute.  Benoit's name won't be up there with the greats.  Not with Hogan, not with Flair, not with Hart.  He won't be "WWE Champion" in the record books.  He'll be that "other" title.

Who's to say where the titles will lie in the future. For all we know they could carry on till the promotions demise, or they could be merged and recognized as the new 'Undisputed World Champion' with a new lineage. If not , Benoit is still going to go down as a former world champion. More importantly, years from now we will look back at Benoit headlining the 20th WrestleMania at MSG.

Precisely.

I want you to tell me specifically when Benoit ever said on WWE TV that he wants the SD! WWE Title and that he could care less for the Raw World Title.

Oh, that's right, he never did.

How about his matches vs. Angle and Brock? There's no reason for him to want the "World Title"; and if there was, there were 11 joint PPV's since the creation of the World Title for Benoit to state his intentions for the belt.

Oh, that's right, he came out on Raw and said he wants the Raw World Title.

Which doesn't make sense. I know, that's the whole point. It doesn't match up to what Benoit was wanting last month, or last year.

Chrissakes, the angle has barely taken off yet.

And already it's foundation is cracked.

If we're going to be talking about internal character motivation (i.e. hypothesizing shit that may or may not be true), perhaps Benoit noticed that Trips is getting fat and decided he'd have a better chance facing him than a fucking powerhouse monster who is pretty much unbeatable.

May or may not be true? Have you been watching in the last year? Benoit/Angle RR - Benoit said that he wanted to make all of his sacrifices mean something and that by winning the WWE Title he could. He tapped out that night. Benoit/Brock Smackdown, he went so far as to go unconscious and risk permanent injury for *that* title. Clearly, Benoit "learned" from his previous high profile title match and regretted tapping out a year earlier. Benoit has never been one to be fearless and he came at Brock head on - doesn't seem logical for him to be trying to go around him. Benoit wants to be the best? Doesn't make sense for him to go to RAW then.

There, logic.

Where? *looks* *looks hard* *looks REEEEAL hard* Where?

We haven't seen yet what Benoit's motivation is for going to Raw. Granted, if he isn't given a motivation, I can see calling bullshit on this angle. Hell, I'd begin to agree with you then.

He said he wants to be the best. Somehow, that involves not going after the guy whom he couldn't take the title from... or the guy who beat him at RR03. Or the guy who beat him at Vengeance 03 for the US title. So even though he as unfinished business (under the premise of "being the best"), he still moves to RAW where, the "best" isn't even defined. And somehow, the World Title represents "the best" despite being 1 1/2 years old and only being held by 3 men; rather than a title with... hmm... 30 ??? years of history and legends such as Hogan, Hart, Savage, Flair, etc. behind it and an actual lineage...

But they cannot cram all that into one show. You can't surmise that this whole thing is shit before it's even close to ending, because then your opinions aren't based on fact, they're based on fuck all.

Sure I can. I look at what it's based on -a lie- and everything after it will be trying to make that lie as truthful as possible. See, "piece of shit"/"ribbon".

Yes, it's dark and warm and moist. It's better than being so high up on my pedestal that my brain is dying due to lack of oxygen.

Oh yes, this pedestal onwhich I stand is soooo high. Look at me, with my desire for logical storylines, I stand so high above you all that I can barely see you so way down low.

Hey, it's cheap, but I could have said "it's dark and warm and moist...JUST LIKE YO MAMA'S PUSSY, BIATCH~!"

There ya go again, always comparing to something lesser. You gotta raise those standards.

I await your vitriolic, rambling, asinine, sarcastic, and oh-so-witty reply. Be sure to make fun of me a lot, it makes you smarter, or something.

And yet I am the one sitting on a pedestal. *cough* I'm so glad you don't lower yourself to doing things like that.. *looks back at thread* again, me and my pedestal... just me... yep.

Who's to say where the titles will lie in the future. For all we know they could carry on till the promotions demise, or they could be merged and recognized as the new 'Undisputed World Champion' with a new lineage.

What WWE have you been watching? The WWE that brought in the NWO and they quickly shuffled them aside? The company that did the "Invasion" which could have lasted for years and only really lasted a few months? How about the GM situations? Flair as co-owner? The undisputed title? The IC title? The US title? Are we paying attention here?

If not , Benoit is still going to go down as a former world champion. More importantly, years from now we will look back at Benoit headlining the 20th WrestleMania at MSG.

Kinda like Yokozuna. *sighs* Esteemed company. Former world champion - that just means so much... to hold the same title that... HHH held. And Goldberg... and HBK. Oh, they've all passed on but you can still hear the whispers of an almost forgotten age of professional wrestling if you listen hard enough.

No, you're right, it was both of us. Nonetheless, I feel as though I've stated my case well enough, jabs and name-callings aside, and you have stated yours in between your OMFG RRR is HILARIOUS~~11!!~! witticisms.

For the record, though we have gone back and forth insulting each other and the like, I never called you a bottom feeder; it was the other way around, thus insinuating that you are in a higher esteem than myself. So don't try and say that I've been acting like I'm on a high horse when you've clearly been acting the snob throughout the entire thread.

Anyways, it was fun, but it's over now. Perhaps we shall meet sometime in a thread after Wrestlemania, when we can actually debate facts rather than opinions.

Who knows, perhaps we'll halfway agree on some points.

Oh, that's right, RRR is ALWAYS totally correct and everyone else is ignorant. Nevermind.

I suppose you can have the last word now. I know that's probably important to you.

So, Benoit is settling for facing a weaker opponent? What kind of upper card face would do that? That just makes him look bad.

I'm all for Benoint getting a main event push, but I'm going to have to agree with RRR on this one. Benoit deserves the true #1 belt, the WWE World Title that Brock is holding onto right now. I want to believe that Benoit will look like gold at Wrestlemania, but whenever I try and think that, this image comes to mind.....

09.jpg

When Benoit was stuck in mid-card feuds, people would say "he should be in the upper-card, feuding for the belt". Now he's feuding for the belt, and is in line to face a champ at the biggest show of the year, and people say "it's not good enough, it's the wrong belt" or "it doesn't make sense. If he wins the belt, and then loses it back, it'll be "it wasn't long enough of a title reign." Can't people ever be happy? People got what they wanted: Benoit winning the Rumble, and going to Wrestlemania to main event the 20th anniversary of the biggest show in the sport's history. But it's not good enough, I guess. I kind of hope that Benoit jobs to HHH at 'Mania just to watch the fireworks and venom fly on this board the next day.

And I truly doubt that history will just leave the Raw belt as a footnote; HHH has too much pull and held this belt for too long for it to be just forgotten. It'll be treated as a seperate entitity, yes, but it's not like those that held the belt will be asterisks only.

Well the quote feature works when you quote the whole post like so /\ but when you use it in the "Add Reply" box it doesn't work.

Flame-baiting also isn't allowed on this forum.

Works fine for me, and that isn't flaming.

Guest Loss

Since Rudo posted that on the other board and here, I thought I'd put my response to it at the other board and here.

You want Benoits title win to be based on a lie? I don't. Benoit - to me - is everything that is good and honest in professional wrestling.

All of wrestling is a lie.

There is nothing either 'good' or 'honest' about professional wrestling. It's a business based around lies. It's a way to fool a gullible public into buying tickets to see matches that are not real. THAT'S what wrestling is. While, from a fan perspective, a lot more can be taken from it, it's important to distinguish that wrestling is (1) fake and (2) a business. Mixing our opinions *as fans* in with what WWE should do *as a business* is just as irresponsible as Vince favoring bigger guys because he marks out for them.

There is no responsibility from promoters, nor has any ever been implied, to reward honest effort or what fans actually enjoy. The responsibility of the promoter is to give us what they think we'll pay to see.

At this point, they think we'll pay to see Benoit win the World title from HHH at Wrestlemania. That's incredibly encouraging. The fact that they're pushing a man whose interviews are not all that colorful and who is under six feet tall and whose biggest strength is his ability to deliver realistic, exciting matches where everything looks great and makes sense is all that I need to be happy because it shows that maybe WWE is more open minded than they are often given credit for.

Benoit does not 'deserve' perfection. Wrestling is fake. That's like implying that great actors should never play villains because they're too respected. What Benoit deserves is a chance to change the perception of what a main event wrestler is by delivering at that level. To deliver at that level, he doesn't have to defeat Brock Lesnar. He has to win a match that is hyped as the biggest opportunity as his career, thus showing the audience that his word is one that can be trusted. Once the fans develop that relationship with Benoit, he will be set and they will start to appreciate the other things about him. He said he would win the Royal Rumble and he did. When he walked on RAW last night, he got a tremendous pop. Obviously, this push is working and they're moving successfully in that direction.

When he's in that ring, he is true. He gives his best effort, win-or-lose, he runs the ropes at 110%, he takes bumps at 110%, he hits at 110% - even when he's going against a stiff like Nathan Jones he'll give it his all and even manage to surprise you.

I agree with this. Benoit is putting out a true effort when he steps in the ring. That doesn't make him 'true'. If he was true, he would be working shoots.

You are blurring the distinction between what is real and what is fake.

You've wanted Benoit to be the "World Champion" for "years" - that would be more than 2??

Yes, that would be more than two.

I've thought since 1999 that he would make a great world champion.

What does that mean? And I know what you're saying, but I am asking you, what does that mean?

It means that the promoters either see him as the best in the business, the biggest draw or someone so good at what he does that they want to give him recognition for it. Being the world champion suggests that the promotion has a certain level of faith in you. There are times when they lose that faith without having a convenient way to get the belt off of you (Chris Jericho is the best example of this), but putting the world title on a wrestler, ANY world title, implies that the promotion has faith in their ability to deliver, either in terms of box office or quality.

Of the three reasons I mentioned above, Benoit is someone they probably see as the last reason, that being "someone so good at what he does that they want to give him recognition for it." That's the closest you'll ever get to anything in wrestling being "real". Expectations beyond that are fine, as long as you understand that no one has ever gotten that type of treatment in the past.

And, realistically, how long do you think that belt will exist for? 1 more year? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? How long until they once again merge it with the WWE title (they sure as shit won't be using the Big Gold Belt as to represent the true blue WWE heavyweight title). And, with all due respect, please don't hand me that shit that he can "help the image" of the RAW title.

I don't understand why you want Benoit to be the world champion. He can still have great matches in the opener. There's more to it than that, and I'm not sure I understand why you want him at that level.

I'm not going to speculate on how long the belt will last because we do not know how long it will last.

Do you want a history lesson with everyone not named HHH who held it and how they helped the image (has HHH helped it either?) ? Or, should I say, did dicknothing with or to it. It's a nice theory, what with this uber-worker getting rewarded after his long time suffering; but he's getting rewarded with nothing. He's getting STUCK with something. It's a mere convenience. If they actually wanted to reward him - if they truly wanted to - they would keep him on the right course. Shit, I bet they think they're doing something good for a charity case in Benoit - it's all hollow. "Well, I won't him wearing the real belt, so let's just give him that other thing and he'll be happy with it - shit, all of his fans are." When we look back 20 years from now on the history of the WWE title, there won't be Benoit's name there. It will be in a very small, very irrelevant, part in the WWE section called "World Title" (2002 - 2006) with, if he's lucky, an asterix by the real belt. That will be his place in history. Well golly, thankya Vince.

You don't know this. You simply don't. Things could just as easily sway in the other direction.

And I am more comfortable than you are obviously with what Benoit has already accomplished, and I can't see how he could ever be forgotten.