TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

Benoit sabotages his own push with a horrid promo

The story COULD be that he hates HHH more than he hates Lesnar or someone like that, and wants to shut HHH up once and for all.

OR!

This is a way of screwing over Paul Heyman...as Heyman can't gloat that the 2004 Royal Rumble winner is on Smackdown.

I could swear that JR and Tazz called the Rumble match.

They did.

I know because I was sitting in the third row behind the tables there.

I WAS hoping one match would fall into the crowd, but no such luck.

Benoit made it short and got to the point, what more do you fucking want?

HHH in the crossface, desperately tapping out while a bloody Orton, Flair, Batista and HBK (you all know this swerve is comiing) all lay helpless and unable to do anything about it.

Even better is this happening at WM.

You forgot the bit about Benoit doing a Sabu to Orton...

I don't see any reason for the crowd to be disinterested or for them not to listen. It was an important angle which needed clearity; why would they make noise and drowned him out when he's trying to get his intentions across? Benoit didn't take a long time or stumble over words or say anything "bad" (in the context of the "bad" feud, that is), so I don't think the crowd was shitting on it. "Boring" chants, "What" chants, that's a sign of the crowd trying to entertain themselves. I didn't hear that.

And it didn't help how they brought him in.

Guest rawmvp

And to point something else out about Benoit's promo -- initially, he received a nice reaction, but that quickly subsided. This was apparent when he raised his arms in the air (after the promo) and didn't receive anywhere near the same response he got at the beginning. Essentially, Benoit has trouble MAINTAINING his heat, which can pose a problem for the future.

This is the perfect time to bring back Arn Anderson in a managerial role.

Edit: And why was Benoit wearing tights when it was supposed to be an impromptu moment? Little details like that can go a long way.

And to point something else out about Benoit's promo -- initially, he received a nice reaction, but that quickly subsided. This was apparent when he raised his arms in the air (after the promo) and didn't receive anywhere near the same response he got at the beginning. Essentially, Benoit has trouble MAINTAINING his heat, which can pose a problem for the future.

This is the perfect time to bring back Arn Anderson in a managerial role.

Now you are just grasping at straws. By your logic, Austin isn't over, because the crowd didn't go INSANE BONZO GONZO CRAZY OMFG POP OF THE YEAR like they did last week.

Guest Deviant

I don't think rawmvp should be banned or anything, as this is just a case of someone having a different opinion, which is far too rare around here. Unfortunately, rawmvp's different opinion in this topic was stupid. Your replacement promo was far worse and didn't apply to the situation anywhere near as much as the one that aired did.

I personally like Benoit's delivery on his promos and am sick of hearing his haters rip them apart when there is nothing wrong with them. Right now, he is playing the determined to prove the "never going to win the big one" comments wrong role perfectly, and I have enjoyed practically all of his promos recently.

I fail to see why rawmvp's focus is on promos and especially catchphrases. Benoit comes out and gets in the face of Raw's top two stars, says exactly what's on his mind and backs it up in the ring. And there is a problem with this why exactly?

Guest wildpegasus
"Benoit is a weird-looking doofus with a big, bulging upper body and chicken legs..."

Benoit's legs actually aren't small. They've got some muscle on them. It just looks that way because wrestling tights are very delusional when it comes to showing leg size. People can have large legs that still look small when you wear certain types of pants or tights. Couple that with a large upper body and it's easy to think the legs are small. People who train can attest to this. Even if you've signifigantly increased your leg size if you hold your pants tight around your leg with ykour hand or just look at them soaking wet if you were caught out in the rain they can look suprisingly small. Or just look at most people's leg size. They will look pretty small. There aren't too many people out there at all with truly large legs.

I hate when people prefer promo's to wrestling talent. Anyways if you look at Bret Hart for example, he really wasn't that great at cutting promos in his career, yes he did do them and got good over time, but he really wasn't that great, but his wrestling skills made him into what he once was. Now Beniot is similar to Bret Hart and I'm not just saying that for some stupid reason which I'm sure someone will come up with, I'm saying this because Beniot has great talent and it was his wrestling that made a lot of wrestling fans, fans of his. He's never cut a great promo and thats fine, wrestling should not be based on how well you speak on the mic, this is why so many people haven't been a champion in the WWE. I mean even when Goldberg first came to the WWE what was WWE's biggest thing with him..it was Mic skills and Goldberg's never cut a long promo they've just been short and down to the point, granted he can't touch Beniot in the ring due to wrestling skills, but.... well ok he could do something right, for the WWE to make him a champ. This is a reason why RVD isn't a champion, even through he gets the crowd to their feet most of the time and is really over, its the general thought that his promos aren't that great. Beniot's tonight was down to the point and he said basically what he said "i'm coming after whoever holds that title." Belive it or not it works and makes more time for matches to happen or get more angles across for other wrestlers, Raw wasn't that great tonight, but it worked in all the storyline senses, just be happy for Beniot, don't downsize him. Oh and you really can't compare Foley's promo to Beniot's promo really really differant stuff there.

Guest rawmvp

I enjoy his promos just fine; I just hope the fickle, low attention-span fans do, too.

In an era where fans have been programmed to cheer for catchphrases and mic skills, I sure hope Benoit can find a way to change that ideology and lead a new wrestling revolution where talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.

But as long as Austin, Rock, Jericho and Foley are around, I don't forsee too many changes in the future.

Believe me, I WANT Benoit to succeed and not fail. If he succeeds, a new precedent will be set in which average heighted, yet proficient wrestlers will be seen as viable commodities; however, if he fails, we'll have to wait a long time before the next smark darling is given an opportunity by Vince McMahon to become a star.

Let's hope for the former...

Well, at least he should bring back the "PROVE ME WRONG" or "I'll PROVE YOU WRONG" catchphrases to compensate for his lackluster mic skills. Those were gold. And you know what? Benoit has proven his detractors wrong each and every time...

"Hey Triple H...I'm Chris Benoit, the best damn technical wrestler in the world today (lunges forward and squeezes HHH's cheeks), and no matter how many times you call yourself "the game" everyone knows that you'll be my bitch at WM XX just like the 29 wrestlers whom I destroyed at the Rumble...I will MAKE YOU TAP at the Garden, I will carve my own destiny in the annals of time, and I will hold the World Heavyweight Title high above my head... Prove ME wrong, HHH! PROVE ME WRONG!!!"

That's how the promo should've gone.

You're being harsh for just one thing. There's still much more left to come in these 47 days remaining until WM.

Guest rawmvp

Was Goldberg a draw after he won the World Heavyweight Title? No, because he wasn't the total package.

Was Goldberg a draw after he won the World Heavyweight Title? No, because he wasn't the total package.

Yeah, that tiny reign with almost no defenses, the focus on HHH, and losing the belt with no build up at a shitty PPV...DAMN YOU GOLDBERG WHY WEREN'T YOU DRAWING 99999999 FANS A NIGHT!

Guest wildpegasus
I hate when people prefer promo's to wrestling talent. Anyways if you look at Bret Hart for example, he really wasn't that great at cutting promos in his career, yes he did do them and got good over time, but he really wasn't that great, but his wrestling skills made him into what he once was. Now Beniot is similar to Bret Hart and I'm not just saying that for some stupid reason which I'm sure someone will come up with, I'm saying this because Beniot has great talent and it was his wrestling that made a lot of wrestling fans, fans of his. He's never cut a great promo and thats fine, wrestling should not be based on how well you speak on the mic, this is why so many people haven't been a champion in the WWE. I mean even when Goldberg first came to the WWE what was WWE's biggest thing with him..it was Mic skills and Goldberg's never cut a long promo they've just been short and down to the point, granted he can't touch Beniot in the ring due to wrestling skills, but.... well ok he could do something right, for the WWE to make him a champ. This is a reason why RVD isn't a champion, even through he gets the crowd to their feet most of the time and is really over, its the general thought that his promos aren't that great. Beniot's tonight was down to the point and he said basically what he said "i'm coming after whoever holds that title." Belive it or not it works and makes more time for matches to happen or get more angles across for other wrestlers, Raw wasn't that great tonight, but it worked in all the storyline senses, just be happy for Beniot, don't downsize him. Oh and you really can't compare Foley's promo to Beniot's promo really really differant stuff there.

Always thought Bret's promos were underrated. THey came across to me as intense but not over the top which helped in them being believable. He had a great voice for it and his promos just screamed legit passion to me moreso than anyone else's promos. He wasn't reading from a cuecard. He was talking from the heart.

I understand that with Bret and I did enjoy his promos, but they weren't all that good, but I was just using it as an example. I have a lot of respect for Bret.

Guest rawmvp

Your replacement promo was far worse and didn't apply to the situation anywhere near as much as the one that aired did.

After 18 years of trials and tribulations, Chris Benoit seemed too lethargic and patient, tonight. The logical approach -- on Benoit's part -- would be that of vigor and ravenous rage to procure the one thing that has eluded him for the last 18 years -- the World Heavyweight Title. My promo indicated that Benoit means business, and isn't here to casually wait for WrestleMania to come rolling around. His time is now, and he didn't come this far to lose.

I think if Beniot didn't want to wait till WM20 that would just take away from it all together, if thats where your going with that RAWMVP

Guest rawmvp

Goldberg drew in WCW because there was an aura of mystique around him. To this day, I've never seen anyone as intense in the ring, and that includes Benoit.

It's the same reason why Sting (Crow gimmick) drew so well. If Benoit didn't speak one word since day one and just kicked ass, the fans' perception of him would be very different, trust me. Because Benoit's weaknesses weren't protected since day one, the fans see his inefficient mic skills, making it that much harder to get over.

Thats only because WWE feels more mic time=a better champion.

Guest rawmvp

WWE is stupid.

The definition of a "champion" is different for each wrestler.

Idiosyncracies and quirks make each wrestler unique. Appeal isn't homogeneous; each wrestler attracts different sects of people. Will a Rocky fan always be a Foley fan, too? No.

You know RAWMVP I don't get you, one minute your talking about how Beniot killed his own push, then a few minutes later you talk about how he did a good job. Are we showing you the light or something? Becuase I mean most of the time what you say changes.